Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Color Flashes with Cable TV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted December 20 2002 - 02:51 PM

I am experiencing a weird (and annoying) problem:

I have a new 53HS30 set hooked up to a JVC 9600 SVHS vcr. All cable tv is funneled through the vcr. I am using an HDTV cable box from Time Warner Cable. Recently, I have been getting intermittent color flashes during a cable tv broadcast. It happens even if I record a show with the tv off. Is this a problem with the vcr, the cables leading to the vcr or the HDTV cable box? It is not happening on my other sets in the house.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lisa

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   mark laf

mark laf

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted December 21 2002 - 01:56 AM

I too am having this problem, on only one local tv channel,that just startd with a purchase on a cheap Hi-Fi vcr.It didnt happen with my other vcr.Dont know whats causing it but it has to be the vcr.I will be returing it soon.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted December 21 2002 - 01:01 PM

The strange thing is that it is happening with a few channels - and not all of the time. Is that a vcr problem...a cable tv problem...or a problem with the cables connecting the vcr to the cable box, etc...?

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   NickT

NickT

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted December 21 2002 - 04:45 PM

Could be the vcr, could be the cable box, could be the tv, not likly to be any cables. What channels does this happen on, analog or digital? When you watch a tape and this problem happens, can you rewind the tape and it happens again at the same time? Try seperating the componets and see if the problem goes away. Bypass the vcr and if it's gone then it's the vcr. Play a tape that you know is good and if it does it you know that it isn't the cable. Also, you can give the cable people a call, service calls are free. Good luck.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted December 21 2002 - 04:53 PM

So far, it happens on some of the analog broadcast channels. I can capture the color flashes on a tape made on that setup and will see the flashes when the tape is played back on another tv and vcr. I may find another vcr and hook it up to see if the problem goes away.

I am afraid that the cable service people won't have a clue.