Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Info on I.B. setup

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Kirstyn

Kirstyn

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 20 2002 - 12:47 PM

I've come to the experts for some info about building an infinite baffle sub.I have a spare 300 watt amp and a small room (approx.5' x 10' x 8')behind the front wall of my H.T. room.
My question to you is with 2 12" or even 15" woofers is the space I have large enough to accomodate such a setup?
and is 300 watts enough to power this dream of mine??
Any info would be greatly appreciated, I have spent some time searching the web for ideas but very new to the I.B.
theory and I need to learn. Are there any websites anyone can recommend to further my education?
Sorry for all the questions but I am very interested in this type of sub design and willing to read anything!!

Thanks in advance,
Kirstyn

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit

• 337 posts

Posted December 20 2002 - 01:23 PM

here ya go...

Cult

the faq there should answer your questions
why have one when you can have two for twice the price?

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted December 20 2002 - 02:48 PM

Kirstyn, I'm not exactly an IB pro or anything, but from what I've seen and heard about, a dual Tempest IB should work fine with 300 watts. Im not sure about the room size but it sounds promising. Check out the gallery and info page from the link Jeff posted for some good ideas.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Dustin B

Dustin B

Producer

• 3,128 posts

Posted December 20 2002 - 05:31 PM

Two 15" Tempests (I'd run these single VC and RDO them to a Q of 0.5-0.6; see Adire's Tech papers for an explanation of RDO) or Dayton 15"IB drivers will work great in that space. The ideal is 10x or more the combined Vas of the drivers. Two 15" Tempest would be about 220ft^3 and you have 400ft^3 in that room.

Power, IBs need very little power. 80W per driver would be enough. 300W will be way more than you need. So just peachy.

The only issue left will be placement. Can you try a normal sub near where the manifold for the IB would go. Can't move an IB after you build it, so make sure the placement will work (ie no major nulls, peaks can be EQed out, but nulls require major room treatments).
Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users