What's new

Has anyone tried a new progressive scan dvd player???? (1 Viewer)

TY D ROCK

Auditioning
Im looking to replace my toshiba sd-5109, has anyone tried the new prog scan sony player for like 300??????????
THANKS

I recently picked up the Sony 700p (I believe this is the unit you are refering to) along with the panasonic rp56 (also prog scan) so I could compare them side by side. The Panasonic wins the match hands down. Direct comparsions of the 2 showed that the Sony produced a very noisy image where the Panasonic was much smoother. Im taking the Sony back and keeping the Panny. BTW I too got this player to replace an aging 5109. I wanted to like the Sony because it looked cool and had a nice video EQ, but the picture was so noisy even after switching off all of the "special" settings that I just didnt like it. The panasonic was 50 dollars cheaper to boot. It has a very clunky remote, but makes a fantastic image.
The Sony has a 12 bit video dac and the panny has a 10 bit dac, but somehow the panasonic had a much better vid quality.
------------------
Tosh TW56X81 HDTV
Toshiba SD 5109 prog scan
Arcam Diva AVR100
Arcam Diva P85 power amp
Arcam alpha 7se cd player
Paradigm ref studio 60(bi-amped and wired)
Paradigm montior 7 surrounds.

TY D ROCK

Auditioning
Well,
I still own a panasonic A110 that sits up in the closet. I told myself I'd never buy another panasonic unit, so unless I hear rave reviews on the new panasonic Im shying away from it? What did you pay for the pany matt?
THANKS

I believe I payed 250 for it. The sony was 300. I found the picture on the panasonic much more cleaner and noise free than my 5109, which I adored for a year at least. It handles intense blues much more cleanly as well. Im continuing to try out different models, but right now the panasonic is staying and Ive sold my 5109
wink.gif
I harbor no bias for Panasonic, I just looked into because Ive heard so much about the RP91, which is the older brother to the 56. I wasnt interested in DVD audio just yet, so I tried out the 56 and was very pleased with it.
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...delNo=DVD-RP56
------------------
Tosh TW56X81 HDTV
Toshiba SD 5109 prog scan
Arcam Diva AVR100
Arcam Diva P85 power amp
Arcam alpha 7se cd player
Paradigm ref studio 60(bi-amped and wired)
Paradigm montior 7 surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks