Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Today's Best Buy Experience

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 of 34 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted December 17 2002 - 08:09 PM

In layman's terms, the long-ass single line means no more getting into the line with the guy whose credit card doesn't work.

#22 of 34 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted December 17 2002 - 08:28 PM

I'd be in favour of a single line. it's Murphy's Law when it comes to me, I always seem to select the wrong check-out line, with either a new/temp cashier who has to double-check everything, or some item is mislabelled, or the customer thinks the price is wrong and the cashier runs off to check it. likewise with ATMs, sometimes theres a bank of two or three, but people always form a line for each ATM, rather than one single line for the entire bank.

#23 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave Morton

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted December 18 2002 - 01:44 AM

It is true about the queuing theory. I believe it is the M/M/1 queue. It does shorten the waiting line. Especially since each cashier's service rate will vary depending on each customers needs.
------ Dave ------
------------------
MY HT

New Family Addition

#24 of 34 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,919 posts

Posted December 18 2002 - 02:01 AM

"One time I accidentally went into Disney World wearing a mouse costume... ok nm.." and "One time I accidentally went into a strip joint wearing a bustier and no panties ... ok nm.." Brent

#25 of 34 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted December 18 2002 - 02:56 AM

Not true- as my Best buy kid put people into the individual lines 2 deep- so I was assigned to a line with a woman in front of me, and she decided to apply for the best buy credit card right there and then to pay for her purchases. I ended up waiting more than 10 minutes-- and I kept trying to jump lines, but the guy had started packing them 3 deep in each individual que. In the end, not being able to pick my own line foiled me. But I agree, in normal situations- this is the best way to go! -V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#26 of 34 OFFLINE   CharlesD

CharlesD

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted December 18 2002 - 03:17 AM

They started doing this at my BB too, much more efficient now.

I went in there when the Sopranos Season 3 came out and gave up after waiting 15 minutes and the 3 servers they had had not processed a single customer, went across the street and got the set for $5 less and didn't have to wait at all to make the purchase Posted Image

#27 of 34 OFFLINE   MarcVH

MarcVH

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted December 18 2002 - 03:49 AM

Sounds about right; in practice there can be glitches in the "one single line" algorithm, but where it's practical it's usually preferable. There are some situations (e.g. a grocery store, where everybody has a cart full of groceries and there is more pipelining as customer B unloads his groceries onto the conveyer belt while customer A is paying) where it's less practical. I'm less enthused about having a "line manager" simply because, instead of wasting an employee to coordinate the line and tell people where to go, that employee could be runnning another cash register and getting everybody taken care of quicker. Obviously this wouldn't apply if there are no registers (including the service counter and other aux registers) free.

#28 of 34 OFFLINE   Tim Markley

Tim Markley

Screenwriter

• 1,279 posts

Posted December 18 2002 - 08:08 AM

I was at Best Buy today at lunch picking up Minority Report. I talked to the guy directing people to registers and was told that they're only doing the one line approach because of the holidays. Once the busy time of the holidays is over they will go back to the multiple lines. I don't know exactly how long Fry's Electronics has been around but when I moved to San Jose in 1988 the original store in Sunnyvale had been open for a while. That was the only Fry's Electronics store at that time and there was still a Fry's grocery store in San Jose then also. I've always liked their one line approach.

#29 of 34 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted December 18 2002 - 09:30 AM

Which is all the more reason the Best Buy traffic controller should wait till the cash register is totally clear. A better approach would be to kill the traffic controller all together and have the cashier call the next person up (maybe by blinking the giant price-tag register light). And if two or three light up at the same time, I'm sure people would file accordingly.

#30 of 34 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted December 18 2002 - 10:34 AM

both of my bb's have a register that is sort of in the middle of the floor. there appears to be some sort of functional terminal there surrounded by tables with miscellaneous items on it. anyone know what that's about? i've never seen anyone behind that register...not once.

#31 of 34 OFFLINE   Scott Strang

Scott Strang

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts

Posted December 18 2002 - 10:43 AM

[quote] ...granted someone with Apu's skills at picking the right line... [quote]

Posted Image

#32 of 34 OFFLINE   Jason Ly

Jason Ly

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted December 19 2002 - 07:09 AM

Well,
Here's an article from today's Boston Globe on this very subject:

Life in the faster lane
XBOX LIVE - Omegajayy

Might as well, Can't dance - W.Bunzey

#33 of 34 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted December 19 2002 - 12:19 PM

Went to my local BB tonight expecting a nightmare. Got in, found salesperson that actually assisted me, picked a DVD and CD for my niece, and headed out in 5 minutes. 2nd in line ! Wahoo !

#34 of 34 OFFLINE   Chuck C

Chuck C

Screenwriter

• 2,237 posts

Posted December 19 2002 - 01:16 PM

From the article:
I was picturing the same thing for BB!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users