What's new

Overused words (1 Viewer)

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone else noticed the recent use of the words "overcooked" and "overbaked" in reference to the "Phantom Menace" DVD?
A lot of the quotations begin with: "The bass is overcooked," or "the picture is overbaked."
If you do a search for these words, you will come up with only three threads, all concerning this DVD, but the words are used often within the threads.
Whoever first used this terminology should be honored; the rest of the copiers should be publicly ridiculed.
Imitation...flattery...I dunno.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
I find that the use of the words "the" and "and" were also plentiful to the extreme when talking about TPM. What's the matter, are we all at a loss for the other articles when using the english language?
biggrin.gif

------------------
rickyhustle.com

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
While we're on the subject, the letter "e" is WAY over-used! Be more creative, people! Heck, I'm doing it now! Arrgghh!!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

MikeM

Screenwriter
Good point St_v_! You will, n_v_r catch m_ using that l_tt_r in any of my posts from now on.
biggrin.gif

------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Darren H

Second Unit
This team has a lot of heart, but we're really looking for some of our leaders to step up and take the game into their own hands. We're looking to keep their defense on their heels by being more explosive on the line. As long as our QB plays smart, makes good decisions, and stays aggressive it should be smooth sailing. We will play to win, instead of playing to not lose.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The one word that George W. Bush seems to use way too much is "strong". He describes EVERYTHING as being "strong". Maybe it's just that he has a limited vocabulary, but he should come up with at least a few synonyms to it.
/Mike

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Sportscasters (actually, usually ex-jock colourmen) who repeatedly start sentences with "I'll tell you what..." (sometimes abbreviated to simply "I tell you what..." ommitting the verb tense).
Evidently this adds some measure of authority to what they're telling us.
rolleyes.gif

Drives me batty.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/007822.html
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12...7, 6 5 to go!

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Monday Night Quarterback. Everybody's got to be a Monday Night Quarterback. I've been hearing that for quite some time now.
Jon

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Unbelievable, it's just unbelievable that unbelievable is not the most unbelievably overused word! If it is not, it's unbelievable...dude!
[Edited last by Eric Scott on October 26, 2001 at 09:32 PM]

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
Amazing!!!!! It's like this is the only adjective my generation(I'm 25) and below can think up to describe something good. I hear it way too much and it makes me sick. Watch MTV for about 45 minutes and you will hear it more times than you think.
"Yeah, it's an amazing album."
"We did some amazing special effects."
"It was amazing having Jimmy Jam as my producer."
"The new video is amazing."
Oh, and another overused word. Anthrax. COuld the media say it more times than they already do?
------------------
Have good mosh-pitting!!

Marianne

Supporting Actor
It annoys me when golf commentators keep saying:
'golf' ball, 'golf' course, 'golf' club, etc.
"He really likes this "golf" course, it really suits his "golf" game. Looks like he chose the right "golf" club to hit the "golf" ball with."
I feel better now.
crazy.gif

------------------
Marianne

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Is there anything to eat?
There's a plate in the fridge.
Sweet!
What's that?
Oh, just some mail.
Sweet!
Could you pass the salt?
(passes the salt)
Sweet!
I got gas today for a dollar four.
Sweet!
My daughter like, uses "sweet", like constantly. It's like really annoying. Like it's the only way she can like communicate her satisfaction. I mean, it's like, "sweet" this and "sweet" that, like all the time.
Fortunately, that's like the only word she abuses. Cause I heard one time, that if you're like around someone like all the time, it's like you start talking and acting like them. Man, that's like scary!
patriot.gif

------------------
God Bless America

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks