Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Lord of the Rings extended cut PQ vs. original dvd??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 08:58 AM

i was watching the original Lord of the Rings dvd last night and was wondering if the newer extended cut PQ is any better. Even though it's a longer movie, splitting up the film on 2 discs hopefully helped the compression (which i notice on the old dvd). It was a great transfer i just think it could be better compressed.

#2 of 23 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 09:10 AM

I have not compared the two but the EE (from memory) looks better plus the reviews all seem to indicate so as well.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#3 of 23 Guest_Hank_*

Guest_Hank_*

Posted December 15 2002 - 09:12 AM

Yes. The EE does have the better transfer due to breaking the movie over 2 discs. The DTS track is also better than the over-pumped Dolby track on the theatrical release.

#4 of 23 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,217 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 09:29 AM

Yeah, the differences are noticeable with the EE being a better transfer or compression. I, too, prefered the DTS cut. Last night I did a comparison between both tracks on the EE, and the bass is too bloated and unnatural with the DD.

#5 of 23 Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch

Screenwriter

• 2,156 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 09:34 AM

I think the picture quality is a little better on the EE, but I have to disagree about the DTS track. The bass on the DTS track is nearly non-existant, and every time I saw it in the theater, you could FEEL it, just as you can on both DD tracks.
"Old theatres are irreplaceable. They could never be duplicated at today's costs - but more importantly, their spirit could not be duplicated because they remind us of a day when going to the show was a more glorious and escapist experience. I think a town's old theatres are the sanctuary of...

#6 of 23 Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 10:02 AM

does the extended edition box have a space for the original dvd like it was originally rumoured to?

all the extras from the original are on the EE, right?

#7 of 23 PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 10:08 AM

Quote:

The point for most of us to buy the EE (aside from the longer cut and DTS) was that no extras were duplicated.

#8 of 23 Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 10:12 AM

Quote:
The point for most of us to buy the EE (aside from the longer cut and DTS) was that no extras were duplicated.

Which I believe is the most brilliant DVD release strategy ever! Posted Image Some people does not agree, though....

A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#9 of 23 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 10:26 AM

Quote:
does the extended edition box have a space for the original dvd like it was originally rumoured to?

No. It has space only for the four disks and no others. The extras are different from the EE and the original versions. My only beef with the EE version is the lack of trailers but other than that, it is pure perfection.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#10 of 23 Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor

• 743 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 10:29 AM

if i get the new release, is there any reason to keep the old one?

#11 of 23 James Reader

James Reader

Screenwriter

• 1,465 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 10:33 AM

Well, the only reason I can think of is to preserve the Theatrical version.

I assume to would like to preserve the theatrical version?
"Would you recommend this movie to a friend?"
"Only if I was friendly with Hitler."

#12 of 23 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,195 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 10:58 AM

Quote:
if i get the new release, is there any reason to keep the old one?

As mentioned by others, the two releases share none of the same supplements, so you'd need to keep the 2-DVD version if you want to watch those.
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#13 of 23 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 13,997 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 15 2002 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
My only beef with the EE version is the lack of trailers but other than that, it is pure perfection.
Same here... my only problem is that it's a BIG beef. Trailers shouldn't even be an extra... they should be standard. The only one on here is the TTT preview from the FOTR re-release early this year, and you have to jump through the easter egg hoops to find it.

#14 of 23 Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy

Second Unit

• 274 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 02:19 PM

Trailer, smailer. I'm quite happy to have the trailers, both theatrical and internet, on the first dvd, along with the fluff pieces from the TV promotional campaign.

If collectors want the theatrical trailers, it seems reasonable to suppose that they will also want the version that was shown in theaters.

Who would want a movie that never appeared in the theater, but would want the trailers promoting that movie?

All that said, I may never watch the theatrical version again; the extended version is so much better.

#15 of 23 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 13,997 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 15 2002 - 02:45 PM

Quote:
If collectors want the theatrical trailers, it seems reasonable to suppose that they will also want the version that was shown in theaters.
Why would that seem reasonable? I've seen both versions and I happen to perfer the extended cut. I did however think the trailers were pretty freakin' sweet. Why should I buy a DVD of a movie I don't want for a couple two minute trailers?
Quote:
Who would want a movie that never appeared in the theater, but would want the trailers promoting that movie?
I'd agree, except that (despite New Line's hype to the contrary) they are two different cuts of the same film.

#16 of 23 Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 04:30 PM

Quote:
I've seen both versions and I happen to perfer the extended cut. I did however think the trailers were pretty freakin' sweet. Why should I buy a DVD of a movie I don't want for a couple two minute trailers?
Well, those trailers were created to advertise the theatrical release (and cut) of the film. So I don't think it's entirely unreasonable that they're included on the DVD of that theatrical cut.
"Self-discipline isn't everything. Look at Pol Pot."
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

#17 of 23 Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor

• 680 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 05:05 PM

Quote:
The bass on the DTS track is nearly non-existant, and every time I saw it in the theater, you could FEEL it, just as you can on both DD tracks.
Hmm, I think the bass is fine on the DTS-ES is just fine, except for the death-of-Sauron in the prologue, which is a bit weak. But the rest of the movie sounded fine as far as bass goes. I also think they made much better use of the discrete back channel compared to the matrixed back in the DD-EX mixes.

My only complaint with the EE DTS-ES soundtrack is that the sound-level on the surrounds is too loud in relation to the front soundstage in many scenes, so much so that I had to drop the level on the surrounds.

As for EE's the picture quality, it's noticeably better than the original on my heavily tweaked Mits HDTV. The picture has a more 3d look, with more depth and detail to it. It's one of the best transfers I've seen on DVD, aside a bit of excessive grain in a few scenes (which is consistent with the source film, and not a weakness of the DVD). The scenery in Hobbiton is just beautiful.
Jeff Kohn
http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn
My DVD Profiler Collection

#18 of 23 Leon Liew

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 10:27 PM

The DTS track is truly weak on the bass in the EE version.
I use 'Absolute' volume 0 - 80 on my receiver

With the DD track on the theatrical version, I only increase
the volume to 24 and it rock the hell out of my sub.The EE
version's DD track was at the same level of 24 and it still
rock but with the DTS track I have to inrease the volume to
27 in order to hear it rock on par with the DD track.

I agree that the DTS track are more clear at the surrounds and that the picture quality is slightly better than the theatrical version though.

#19 of 23 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 13,997 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 15 2002 - 10:53 PM

Quote:
Well, those trailers were created to advertise the theatrical release (and cut) of the film. So I don't think it's entirely unreasonable that they're included on the DVD of that theatrical cut.
Of course not. But I don't think it needs to be an either or situation. Considering the length of them, I doubt it would cost any new extras from making it on if they were just put in the EE.

#20 of 23 Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted December 15 2002 - 11:13 PM

Image and sound are both better than the theatrical DVD.

The DTS sounding 'weak' seems to be down to either subjective opinion or differences in hardware setup. There's certainly nothing wrong with it on my own system.
No longer here.

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow