What's new

Changing speakers possibly, Klipsch RF7's to ? (1 Viewer)

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Well, looking to reduce the size of the speakers in my setup to something smaller, read more compact that still provides excellent sound for both surround sound and music...

My other speakers are

Klipsch
Center channel RC7
Rear SB1

Subwoofer is a Velodyne SP1200

What do you think?
G2

Cam S

Screenwriter
Well, if you like the sound of the RF-7's, then maybe the RF-3's or the RB-5's are what you need. I think the RB-5's would be perfect as they sound VERY similiar to the larger RF-7's but just don'e have as much bass. Can't go wrong with ANY of the Klipsch Reference speakers.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Thanks Cam,
but I am thinking of moving to a new line and breaking away from Klipsch for the size factor, these are the top for their HT setup but I'd like smaller and more musical ones as well...going to be a hard ticket to fill...

I've a Sony DA5ES receiver to power the speakers, might change out the center as well, love the sub...man what a sub! The rear speakers are working out well so I guess just the main three but am very nervous changing, as they do sound awesome! But are large and isn't really fitting in well in my living room, need something a little smaller...
I had moved up from the RF3s into the RF7s, and for me, the RF3s were great for HT but not so great for music, the RF7s do an admirable job on both, stunning on HT but adequate for music...better than the RF3s, in my opinion...

G2

Cam S

Screenwriter
I think the RB-5's will fit your bill, seriously consider them. What do you have in mind for other speakers outside the Klipsch line up, so I have an idea of what you need/want.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Cam, I've heard the RB5s but want something that has wider dispersion, so thinking of another line of speakers altogether, will be tough! I don't know, just going crazy again! Better get a checkup ;)
G2

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Gary, you may want to consider "Onix Rockets" they are getting some serious attention over at avs forum they sound great for the price, maybe you can get an audition.

Good luck, Bob

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Onix Rockets and Paradigm, not listened to either one, not a lot of places to go to around here, but I'm going to give the one store I got these from tomorrow and see if they've gotten anything in lately that I could trade in against, be the best route for me, these speakers each weigh in at about 90 pounds each...
I had started this trek with DBX Soundfield 100 speakers and miss that open soundness they provided with music, while I was told that for HT that type of dispersion isn't best, but now I don't know...it sure can be confusing as well as expensive! but somewhat fun all rolled into one...somewhat...;)
Thanks guys for the help, I may be searching for something that isn't out there, these speakers ran me about 2k which is more than I've ever spent on anything in my system...ever!
G2
ps I know there are WAY more expensive speakers that people buy but this was it for me...staggers the mind at times!

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Never did change the RF7s out...yet but lately thinking more on it, argghh the troubles we can have eh?

I think I'll check a few stores and see what they have, and do some more comparisons...
G2

Vital

Grip
Don't give up on Klipsch just yet. Check out the new RB-75. It is an amazing speaker that will take care of your size problem. Go check it out at the Klipsch site.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Thanks guys, while the RF7s sound great HT and pretty good on music, they're not great on music, midrange at fault I think. So it's not just a size issue but an overall sound issue, but you know how this listening to speakers can drive one crazy ! ;) I have a Sony DA5ES receiver driving them, not sure if a different receiver would make much difference in the sound?
G2

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to look into Link Removed I've finally got my speakers but have not yet got my amp. I'm very impressed with these(s150's) especially for their size even being driven by a mediocre receiver. This is the first speaker i've ordered without auditioning first but I can say it was a gamble worth taking. For what its worth I too had the same dilema as you. I had a full 7.1 klipsch R7 series that left me wanting more. I could never figure out what because the speakers just flat out rocked but there seamed to always be something missing.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I would throw in a second vote or is it third for Onix Rockets. I made the switch from Klipsch about a year ago and I feel the Rockets can stand with Klipsch for HT everyday. IMO the Rockets are MUCH more musical than Klipsch as they are a better balanced speaker from top to bottom. You might want to check out www.audioenvy.com to see if there is an owner in the area that would be willing to let you audition the Rockets.
M&K's would be another fine choice for HT....I do feel the Rockets bested these in music applications as well as they are about 60% of the M&K 150 line.
I think if you are looking for the detail that Klipsch provide but with a more musical sound Rockets are the ticket. They are more laid back than the Klipsch in terms IN YOUR FACE sound but this is a good thing IMO. I know that I found the Klipsch to be fatigueing after extended listening sessions. With my Rockets I can listen at loud volumes for hours on end without them draining on me. Good luck with your decision!:cool:
Do I mention how beautiful the Rockets are? :)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Gary,

Considering the RF-7s have a 98db or so sensitivity and a brighter tone, I think it may be a compromise to use them with a receiver. I think the best option to shrink your speakers and improve music quality would be to move to a bookshelf Klipsch model, actively highpass them at 80Hz or so, and use a separate amplifier. I have heard the RB-5s and they are very good, their tone is frighteningly similar to the more conventional tower speakers I have. I understand the problems you are talking about with music, those problems disappear if a good amplifier and careful setup is used. The Klipsch bookshelves have very limited bass and trying to make them play bass only makes the rest of the sound distorted.

If you liked the sound of the Klipsch speakers you have, it might be hard to find a different speaker that satisfies you without having some of the same problems you have noticed. Especially if you're trying to find something smaller.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Unfortuantely I'm about dead on cash at the moment and would need to find a place to possibly trade the RF7s and the RC7, and replace with another that would be matched in timbre, sub wise I'll stick to the Velodyne 1200, outstanding sub! as for rears I have Klipsch SB1s that I'll probably keep as they fit and work for surround pretty well, but the Rockets do look sweet and the MK look like a real contender but I'm going to be stuck with these unless I can find a place that will trade in, not a lot of chance.
Tried that AudioEnvy place, the one person's email bounced back from the attempt at an auditon request, and he was close to 100 miles away anyways...tough things, but I'm not TOO sad as the RF7s do pump out on HT type sources, amazing sound, and maybe the size thing isn't that big a deal, more the want for better music, but lately I never get the chance to listen so what am I worried about? Sounds more like I'm trying to talk myself out of looking for other systems, which may be a good thing, but thanks for the directions guys, always handy to get some other viewpoints and options!
G2

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Gary,

Can you try to describe what you think is wrong with the sound for music? It might be an easily fixable problem.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Michael, well, when listening to music, it widely varies the type, from classical to country to Alan Parsons Project which I was listening to today, the sound seems thin to me, during movies the sound is merged with the center channel and has a more rich sound to it. The cd player I have is a 5 disc Sony C8ESD model, older but still pretty good. The main thing would be voices, sounding not quite right, thin may not express it correctly. I have read that the Klipsch's suffer from lack of midrange coverage and that is what I was going after to fix, I may take a drive up to Ithaca at Stellar Stereo and talk to the owner, it's where I bought the whole shebang and see what other speakers he may have there and give a listen to them, as I know he would take these in on a trade, but only if the resulting speakers were worth the effort...they're not open on Monday so it'll be Tuesday to drive up.

As to fixing, maybe there is something in my receiver that might help, but it's beyond me on that score, I've tried some of the other sound stage setups but none made me want to stay with those.

I did borrow a friends DB meter to adjust the levels for HT which is a good thing to do.

A long time ago, I had Soundfield DBX100 speakers, no Home Theater system at all, and loved that stereo sound they provided, a very wide open sound that the Klipsch's don't seem to provide, I had the RF3s to begin with and upped to the RF7s hoping that would fix my problem...nope, but the DBX100's were power hogs and went after the name of the big K for the high sensitivity ratings they own.

Thanks,
G2

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Thanks guys, while the RF7s sound great HT and pretty good on music, they're not great on music, midrange at fault I think. So it's not just a size issue but an overall sound issue, but you know how this listening to speakers can drive one crazy ! I have a Sony DA5ES receiver driving them, not sure if a different receiver would make much difference in the sound?
Well, I used to think that too. When I moved the amplification from the pioneer 49txi to the parasound halos I was simply amazed at the difference in sound quality over the entire range of the speaker.

there was long consideration in dumping the RF7s for some other speaker. Now with such an increase in bass reasponse from the RF7s I am strongly considering selling one of the two SVS PB2+

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks