Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
You should check out:
The Professionals
A Passage To India
The Sand Pebbles
Blazing Saddles
Bullitt
All of them not so high profile catalog titles that imo have been handled extremely competently by their respective studios.
Or of course these two recent titles that you probably already have heard of:
How the West Was Won
Sleeping Beauty
Of those DVDs you list I own "The Sand Pebbles" & "How the West Was Won".
I've owned those two on tape & LD & SD DVD. I have not yet viewed "The Sand Pebbles" Blu-Ray disc. I will in the near future. I've only watched the SmileBox version of the Blu-ray "How the West Was Won". I thought it looked great. I was especially pleased to be rid of those horrible lines.
As to the other films you mention, I not interested in any of them.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
OliverK said:
The only reason I answered was your completely over the top attack at other forums in general and even more so your mentioning of The Godfather. All of which was not very classy either imo.
Well Jim is not the only one who feels that way and I don't think he said anything that was over the top. I've stopped reading AVS because it just takes too much time to sift through all the hyperbole and nonsense for the few posts that are worthwile. I find Xylon's post in this thread very illustrative of the mentality that rules over there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I find it troubling that those on both sides of this issue regarding video defects on these discs have displayed frustration towards those that don't see the disc as they do, by making certain comments that makes light of those that don't agree with their assessment. Again, it's expressed frustration in comments from certain posters from those that see these defects and from those that don't have a problem with the defects at least to the degree of the other group. We all know that each of us have different HT equipment, HT setups in regard to sitting positions and lighting as well as different eyes and observation levels regarding visual defects, yet we still have to make comments to those that disagree with us that belittles them or is condescending towards their POV. If you want others to respect your opinions then you need to show respect towards those that don't share that opinion.

Regarding the title in question, "Zulu" which I watched 50 times or so since it's release almost 45 years ago including it's initial theatrical run. I don't see the same level of visual problems with it that I do with other titles like "The Longest Day" and even "Patton". My personal opinion in no way invalidates those that do see such problems. I've accepted those opinions that differ from mine because who am I, to question what others might see due to circumstances I noted earlier in this post? I wish more of you would take my approach because it will prevent these type of "tit for tat" exchanges without the emotional BS that goes with them. I'm in no way advocating that spirited and informative discussion should not take place, but we need to be respectful in these discussions without being overbearing that our opinion is validated over those that disagee with it.

By the way, what is stated on AVS has no bearing to HTF so let's keep those issues there without bringing them over here. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Jeff_HR said:
in any of them.
Well, I hope you did not get the feeling that I ordered you to watch them, it was just a few titles that I thought would be a good to choose from as far as older titles go.
Two other movies that I forgot about are of course The Searchers and we already talked about The Godfather, so that would be two more that are fantastic looking and worth watching for both content and a quality presentation.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Well, I hope you did not get the feeling that I ordered you to watch them
Not at all. ;) :D
I'm simply not interested in those titles in any way. My main focus in buying DVDs of any kind is catalog titles. I've owned "Zulu" on Criterion LD, & two different R2 SD DVD releases.
I already own the BD "Godfather" Set. (I wish it had been offered in the chronological order version on BD) I have watched Parts 1 & 3. There seems to be a lot of debate about their presentation. I think they look fine.
I also own "The Searchers" BD, but I've not viewed it yet.
I know based on how well preserved an older title's elements are dictates the PQ of any DVD, BD or otherwise. You just have to make personal decisions about the PQ of catalog titles based on how much you want that title in your library. In that regard I'm pretty tolerate, especially if it is a highly desired title!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Jeff_HR said:
You just have to make personal decisions about the PQ of catalog titles based on how much you want that title in your library. In that regard I'm pretty tolerate, especially if it is a highly desired title!
Zulu is a no brainer if you want to replace your DVD which was not very good to start with so you did the right thing.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
OliverK said:
Zulu is a no brainer if you want to replace your DVD which was not very good to start with so you did the right thing.
I had NO complaints about the PQ of the SD Region 2 DVDs I had of "Zulu". :cool: I'm simply glad that the BD looks better than the SD DVDs. It would be a bad buy if the BD PQ was WORSE! But this is by my EYES. Not those "Golden Eyes" of other people. ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OliverK said:
Wow ! In that case it is no wonder you had to get this one !
This begs the question of course: Were you lucky to watch Zulu in 70mm ?
I have to say that home theater is great in its own way but I wonder how it would have been to be able to watch all the big roadshows from the mid 50ies to the beginning of the 70ies with pristine 70mm prints and 6 channel magnetic sound. That's why today I try to catch a reasonable number of 70mm screenings - it is just a completely different (and superior) experience to see a roadshow presentation with giant screen, overture, intermission and of course in the splendor of 70mm
I actually don't remember as I was a little too young to care about whether I was watching a film in 70mm. As long as it had plenty of action without a bunch of love scenes, I was into films like Zulu.;) However, puberty was just a few years away for me in 1964 so that view about love scenes changed rather fast in the coming years.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Well, I passed the the ignorance test - Zulu looked quite good at 128". Whatever artifacts or digital manipulation are apparent to those more experienced with the film media are, I managed to come away with the idea that it surpasses a number of films I have viewed with the pj. If some of us can find something positive to say about Zulu it can't be all bad. After reading this thread I was prepared for the worse but was pleasantly surprised. So you see, sometimes ignorance IS bliss.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I actually don't remember as I was a little too young to care about whether I was watching a film in 70mm. As long as it had plenty of action without a bunch of love scenes, I was into films like Zulu.;) However, puberty was just a few years away for me in 1964 so that view about love scenes changed rather fast in the coming years.
And here I thought you would wow us with stories of 80ft wide screens and 70mm and 6 track magnetic sound to make us green with envy ;)
And good call on the love scenes - Zulu really is a men's movie, more than most other epics that mostly also have a more prominent female role.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
WoW
Was I way off... I had this release in no way being good enough (from what I'd seen posted here) too justify or even make me want too upgrade at a rate of like six times the cost of what I paid for the SD DVD.
I'll pay it, I'll pay it, I'll pay it!!!
Zulu Blu-ray Michael Caine
The screen captures (I know, I know) look fan-friggin-tastic!
Would like too see this released in the US as well (if not, so be it).
Watching this title & "Black Narcissus" in HD on a BIG screen at home will truly be delightful cinematic experience (goosebumps).

Xylon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex L
If you like your movie stars looking like Madame Tussauds artwork then be my guest.

*sigh*

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Jeff_HR said:
"Golden Eyes"?
No golden eyes needed for this one.
I have shown Zulu to about half a dozen people and all of them could tell right away that something is not right. Compared to nice Blu-Rays like The Professionals, The Sand Pebbles or Blazing Saddles it is glaringly obvious that most fine detail below a certain amplitude threshold has been wiped away. On another forum Blu-Ray insider penton-man said the loss of high frequency detail was most probably due to repeated automated passes with a dust cleanup tool. Whatever it was the result is not something I like.
But high contrast edges of course still do make this much better looking than the DVD version, as does the vastly increased color resolution and it also helps that this is a spectacularly photographed movie, no doubt about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OliverK said:
No golden eyes needed for this one.
I have shown Zulu to about half a dozen people and all of them could tell right away that something is not right. Compared to nice Blu-Rays like The Professionals, The Sand Pebbles or Blazing Saddles it is glaringly obvious that most fine detail below a certain amplitude threshold has been wiped away. On another forum Blu-Ray insider penton-man said the loss of high frequency detail was most probably due to repeated automated passes with a dust cleanup tool. Whatever it was the result is not something I like.
But high contrast edges of course still do make this much better looking than the DVD version, as does the vastly increased color resolution and it also helps that this is a spectacularly photographed movie, no doubt about it.
Sorry you and others are unhappy with the video presentation, but, some people such as myself are happy with it. Sure, there is room for improvement and we're not trying to dismiss what you're not seeing with this BRD in regard to fine detail. However, I wish you and others would give those that are happy with the BRD that same level of courtesy regarding our opinion. My comments regarding courtesy aren't meant for you perse, but for those that like to drop by with one line comments whenever somebody posts something positive about the Zulu BRD.
Crawdaddy

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

I have posted several times that the Blu-Ray is no doubt a big improvement over the DVD, but I was responding myself to the "golden eyes" post which I felt was misleading as the issues at hand are not that hard to see and I thought that the added info with regard to the cause of the problems with Zulu (automatic dirt removal) would be of interest.

And I see now that you added to your original post and I agree. I would however hope that the one liners from both sides would stop.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
as a former grain "disliker" i must say titles like How The West Was One has converted me to the value of leaving things alone. I was gobsmacked at how good it looked. Stunned and awestruck.

This title should be held up as the holy grail of what studios should be aiming for

everyone who wants grain out please use the DNR button on your TV's remote

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Ed St. Clair said:
Watching this title & "Black Narcissus" in HD on a BIG screen at home will truly be delightful cinematic experience (goosebumps).
Well, one has the texture of the film it came from, the other does not. I'll stick to the one that gets it right.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
just my 2 cents after eventually getting my BD yesterday.I'm glad I did.The lack of fine detail that others have complained about was barely preceptable on my 70"SXRD. In fact if I hadn't been looking for it, I doubt, if I would have noticed anything. I use faces to checK DNR.It was obvious from the first shots in Patton that something was amiss. Longest day was worst-people looked like zombies. Had no such complaints with Zulu.Sure Jack Hawkins' complexion looked a little bleached in a few shots but that looked like too much make up more than DNR. What I got was a vivid transfer with great blacks .The colour throughout was excellent.Sharp with that great 3D pop that jumps off the screen-thanks to Super Technirama no doubt.

Shame the sound was not in the same class but I expect that is the best we are going to get.

If you like the film, get it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All I would like is a good quality North American release of Zulu because I cannot afford to buy discs from the UK. A good quality North American SE of this title would be even better. Then they can get around to releasing Zulu Dawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks