What's new

ZULU - On Bluray ( UK ) (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
OK, I see the faces looking plasticised. I just thought the stone was (intentionally) out of focus. I guess I need something to compare with. In isolation it looks pretty decent compared to the original DVD.

dannyboy104

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
OliverK said:
I will upload a few caps tonight, here is the first one:

I think its worth pointing out that your screen caps 1 and 5 are incorrect in relation to the colour red.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
dannyboy104 said:
I think its worth pointing out that your screen caps 1 and 5 are incorrect in relation to the colour red.
How is that ? They are directly off the disc.
Not that my main gripe with the movie would be the handling of the color red.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
CraigF said:
OK, I see the faces looking plasticised. I just thought the stone was (intentionally) out of focus. I guess I need something to compare with. In isolation it looks pretty decent compared to the original DVD.
When you want to watch Zulu the Blu-Ray is still the best version, in fact what once was considered an OK DVD looks pretty bad compared to the Blu-Ray, flawed as it is.
While I think that the Blu-Ray could have been a lot better I am not somebody who would tell people to continue to watch Zulu on DVD - if you want to watch it get the Blu-Ray, although I suggest to rent, not buy.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
That doesn't look anywhere near is bad as the screencaps I saw of Patton, which is irrelevent anyway as screencaps are no indication of anything!
I shall be buying, and if anyone else actually likes the film and wants a copy for their library, I suggest they do too.
Blu ray is a fledgling, low selling format at the moment and can do without unecessary nay-saying, especially on titles such as this that are not going to sell 1 million copies in the first week...
M

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
The stills look horrible. Exactly the kind of waxworks that are a travesty when you know what film originally looks like.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
edit: since cropped images are not the originals, I have removed my pic.
To me, the full size images look like what my Photoshop PAINT filter does to still images.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Sorry, I don't see how taking a screengrab of questionable quality, converting it to a different format and then magnifying a section of it has any relevence to the quality of the image that is intended to be watched in motion.

It has been stated that the actors are wearing heavy make up and the film was shot in harsh light conditions. The overall quality looks great to me.

M

dannyboy104

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
david
OliverK said:
How is that ? They are directly off the disc.
Not that my main gripe with the movie would be the handling of the color red.
I don't know how,but it does not represent what I'm seeing on my screen. That's the problem with screen grabs,they can give indications on aspect ratio,and an aprox idea of the step up from dvd to hd, but not much else.
Rather appropriate to discuss Zulu on Remember Sunday,which is why the disc was released this week.
Rorke's Drift, Natal, South Africa on the 22nd and 23rd of January !879
Killed In Action
22nd January 1879
25B/987 Private Robert Adams D Coy. 2nd Battn. 24th Regiment*
Corporal Michael Anderson. 2nd Battn. 3rd Regiment. Natal Native Contingenmt
A Civilian, Louis A. Byrne Army Commissariat and Transport Department.
.25B/1335 Private James Chick D Coy. 2nd Battn. 24th Regiment.
25B/801 Private Tom Cole. B Coy 2nd Battn. 24th Regiment.
25B/969 Private John Fagan. B Coy 2nd Battn. 24th Regiment.
2/24/1769 Private Garret Hayden. D Coy. 2nd Battn. 24th Regiment.
1/24/1861 Private William Horrigan 1st Battn 24th Regiment*
Trooper Sydney Hunter. Natal Mounted Police.
25B/841 Private James Jenkins 1st Battn. 24th Regiment.
25B/623 Sergeant Robert Maxfield. G Coy. 2nd Battn. 24th Regiment.**
25B/625 Private Edward Nicholas 1st Battn. 24th Regiment
25B/1051 Private John Scanlon A Coy. 2nd Battn. 24th Regiment.
25B/1398 Private Joseph Williams. B Coy. 2nd Battn. 24th Regiment.
Native of 1st Battn. 3rd Regiment of Natal Native Contingent.(Name unknown)
**Sergeant Maxfield was stabbed to death by Zulus, whilst delirious, before he could be rescued by Private Robert Jones who was awarded the VC.
23rd January 1879
25B/35 Private William Beckett 1st Battn 24th Regt.* (Died of Wounds)
25B/1328 L/Sergeant. Thomas Williams. 2nd Battn 24th Regiment.
* Both 1st and 2nd Battalions were of the 24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Mark Anthony said:
Sorry, I don't see how taking a screengrab of questionable quality, converting it to a different format and then magnifying a section of it has any relevence to the quality of the image that is intended to be watched in motion.
It has been stated that the actors are wearing heavy make up and the film was shot in harsh light conditions. The overall quality looks great to me.
M
The screengrab was a png file taken directly off the disc. Whether you place any validity in it or not, it is hardly a "screengrab of questionable quality". It is done the best way possible.
Also it was not magnified at all, simply cropped. If you want to disagree, fine, but please don't distort what I did. I stated what it looks like "TO ME". I have that right. (Just like you have your right to say that everything looks peachy) Similar to what "The Longest Day" had done which I have watched "in motion" which I thought looked horrid. In cases like that title or "Dark City", the viewing experience definitely looked the same as the screengrabs I saw of those discs.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave Mack said:
The screengrab was a png file taken directly off the disc. Whether you place any validity in it or not, it is hardly a "screengrab of questionable quality". It is done the best way possible.
Also it was not magnified at all, simply cropped. If you want to disagree, fine, but please don't distort what I did. I stated what it looks like "TO ME". I have that right. (Just like you have your right to say that everything looks peachy) Similar to what "The Longest Day" had done which I have watched in motion which I thought looked horrid.
Thanks for the cautionary posts, but I'm going to buy this BRD to judge for myself on my HT setup.
Crawdaddy

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Robert, not sure of your tone. I wasn't in ANY way implying, "Hey y'all! The screengrabs are up, Skip it!" I just presented my opinion. I wasn't implying that anyone NOT purchase the disc. I usually rent first nowadays myself. And i have never NOT watched a disc myself after looking at a screengrab but I (and I assume many others) can't afford to just blindly buy discs nowadays. Many times I and others have indeed seen screengrabs for discs like "Gangs of new york", "Dark City" and "The Longest Day" and they have pretty much matched the viewing experience.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave Mack said:
Robert, not sure of your tone. I wasn't in ANY way implying, "Hey y'all! The screengrabs are up, Skip it!" I just presented my opinion. I wasn't implying that anyone NOT purchase the disc. I usually rent first nowadays myself. And i have never NOT watched a disc myself after looking at a screengrab but I (and I assume many others) can't afford to just blindly buy discs nowadays. Many times I and others have indeed seen screengrabs for discs like "Gangs of new york", "Dark City" and "The Longest Day" and they have pretty much matched the viewing experience.
My post has no tone to it, I appreciated the arguments from both sides regarding this release, but like most of the time regarding my software purchases, I'm going to buy this disc and judge it with my own eyes. How others make up their minds to decide their purchases isn't none of my business.
Crawdaddy

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha, and I would never say differently. Everyone should always be their own judge of course.

unfortunately netflix doesn't have this on BD. Hopefully soon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave Mack said:
Gotcha, and I would never say differently. Everyone should always be their own judge of course.

unfortunately netflix doesn't have this on BD. Hopefully soon.
This is a UK release so I don't know if netflix will have this release.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Dave Mack said:
Also it was not magnified at all, simply cropped. If you want to disagree, fine, but please don't distort what I did. I stated what it looks like "TO ME". .
I was referring to Oliver K's and your screengrabs, the reason I said of questionable quality is a) neither of you have stated "exactly" how it was grabbed and b) at least 1 other member has stated that the colour is off in 2 of OK's grabs, which brings other aspects of it into question too.
If an image needs to be cropped to show up the flaws, then in my view the flaws are not representative of the viewing experience as you would not watch a film in that way!
I notice you didn't mention the make-up/lighting issues, I hope this hasn't become your Dracula Part II!
M

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Mark Anthony said:
I notice you didn't mention the make-up/lighting issues, I hope this hasn't become your Dracula Part II!
M
sigh... First of all, cropping is NOT enlarging. You know, alot of other members here said similar things to what I did. As someone who has been paid to shoot both film and stills and has used photoshop to process images, I commented on what I thought that ONE grab looked like to me. But you start rehashing year old threads. nice...
I deleted the pic in the above post but How about this, if anything I say here at HTF that you disagree with will trigger a "your Dracula part II..!" comment, why not do us both a favor now and put me on your ignore list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks