1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Zone 2 setup

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Doober, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Doober

Doober Auditioning

Duane White
    Hey folks! I'm just curious about the Zone 2 capabilities on my Pioneer VSX-50 receiver, so I thought i'd ask the right people (love this forum) :-P

Basically I have all of my compnenets (Blu-Ray player, PS3, xBox 360, FiberOp box, etc.) hooked connected with the HDMI IN's to the reciever, then I have my HDMI OUT to the television. So, I am pretty sure that Zone 2 only operates on an analog signal, meaning anything that i have connected through HDMI will not work, correct? But say I wanted to listen to a MP3 disc, CD, music from the FiberOp, etc. can i hook up the analog RCA connections as well? Like, can I have both the HDMI and RCA Inputs connected and achieve audio functionality in Zone 2?

I know this probably doesn't makes sense so i apologize in advance if its confusing :-P

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    That is exactly what you have to do. Double up your connection.The only "snag" is the occasional Time Werner/Concast STB that kills all "the other" outputs when you turn the HDMI on.I think there are BD players that do that as well now.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Matter of fact, if you use a BD player as a CD player, it is advisable to run an audio connection(dig or analog, makes no difference) so you don't miss the first 3-5 seconds of every song waiting for the AVR to realize..."oh, ok...we're still on PCM..."

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Oh yeah, read your manual...but...Zone 2 operation in many an AVR ignores your settings.Meaning...if you have a BD and DVD player connected...and your CD has been changed to HDMI...Zone controls ignore all that, CD is still CD. Which also means, even if "the input" you choose is now HDMI or component/dig audio...on Zone 2 it is still the original analog.

5. Doober

Doober Auditioning

Duane White
    Thanks Schan...oh and I did read the manual but i don't think it mentioned the capability of using multiple inputs for components.Thanks again!