What's new

Zone 2/3 Delay (echo) from Onkyo TX-NR5007 (1 Viewer)

zubinell

Auditioning
Real Name
jerry
When I use Zone 2 on any video source I hear a delay from the adjecent room. It does not occur on tuner or CD sources.
I do not know if this effect occurs on Zone 3.
Actually it seems as if Zone 2 LEADS the prime speakers and the echo is from the main room speakers. It seems to occur in all listening modes. It is as as if the sound is first from zone 2 and what sounds to be about 1/4 of a second later the sound is in the main room. Video Lip sync is perfect.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Any ideas?
Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have dumb question...
I would "assume" you mean you would be using Zone 1 on the HDMI and Zone 2 is connected with the analog(cause it has to be)...
Yes, old analog is faster than digital.
Just like for those people who use a PS3 or BD player to play a music CD and the only connection is HDMI...you miss the first second or two...cause the digital has to "catch up" and figure out what it needs to do first.
If both Zone 1 and 2 are both using analog...there won't be delay.
I do this for the Sonic radio stations on Directv. The Directv HD-DVR is connected...
HDMI to the AVR.
Component and analog audio to the TV.
Analog to the AVR(using Game set analog*)
Digital audio to the AVR(using Game set digital*)
Composite video only to a 7" LCD...
Basically, when I am listening to Sonic...
7" LCD is receiving the composite video so I can see it without wasting the plasma.
Optical because the HDMI connection "acts wonky" when the plasma isn't on.
Analog so I can send it out zone 2.
And yes, the HDMI is "behind" the analog. The optical and analog are almost equal.
* This sounds "odd", but with Onkyo...it works. The Zone can only access analog. Even if I have chosen "game" for main input(to listen in the main room), when I turn on zone 2...since it can only access the analog portion..."Game" is using both digital and analog at the same time. By the way. It isn't in the Onkyo owners manual that you can do that. I just hooked it up hoping it would work...and it did.

zubinell

Auditioning
Real Name
jerry
Schan
Thanks for the note and the thought. I think you are right.. This is my first experience I have with a receiver offering HDMI switcing where the HDMI source moves through the receiver. My previous dinosaur carried audio through optical/coax/analog inputs.
Your input offers me some ideas for expermentation.
Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No problem. Yeah people who "ditched' their CD players and went only with a BD player often ask why they audio is "off"...
Hook up the BD player a 2nd time and the issues are typically solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks