What's new

Zombie Movie Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie - An agricultural experiment in bug extermination raises the hungry dead! Slow build up, but the gore is decent and includes the classic breast-ripping scene. I did want to scream at the characters, especially when confronted by the living dead in the graveyard: why the hell didn't they just run to their car and drive away instead of locking themselves in a mortuary and letting themselves get surrounded? Duh. :)
*** out of ****
Goreometer rating: ***1/2 out of ****

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
SteveGon said:
I did want to scream at the characters, especially when confronted by the living dead in the graveyard: why the hell didn't they just run to their car and drive away instead of locking themselves in a mortuary and letting themselves get surrounded? Duh. :)
You go ahead and write a screenplay for the first zombie movie where everybody gets in their cars and drives away from the zombies. If it ever gets filmed, my guess is it will be a flop.
Chris

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Bone Sickness - Yet another in the endless stream of low budget, amateur zombie flicks, this one at least was supposed to feature an impressive onslaught of gore. Well, it is pretty damn gory (even if the constantly spurting blood looks like cherry Kool-Aid) but alas, the plot: a guy is suffering from a rare bone disease. His wife seeks the aid of his best friend, a morgue attendant and alternative medicine practitioner. The friend concocts a mixture of meat and bone marrow taken from, you guessed it, human cadavers! This eventually turns bone disease guy into a murderous "necro-junkie." It also raises the dead from a nearby graveyard (I'm guessing it was the fluid from a leaky corpse that we see running down a drain). The zombies go on a rampage, eventually wolfing down most of the main cast as well as a bunch of SWAT dudes. This is all fine and dandy but about midway through the story ceases to make sense with nightmare sequences and goblins (yes, there are goblins in this movie) being thrown into the mix. This wouldn't be so bad if the film weren't so damn dark. I know darkness is an important ingredient in many horror films, but it takes skill to use it effectively. Here it's just annoying and novice directors should really stay away from it (or at least spring for some lights). So what we have here is an overly dark, messily-plotted zombie flick with an impressive (and rather lengthy) zombie chowdown sequence. Your call.
If it helps, there is also some pretty good t & a.
** out of ****
Goreometer rating: **** out of ****

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Grapes of Death - Jean Rollin's answer to George Romero's The Crazies finds a rural French community turned into decomposing homicidal maniacs after drinking pesticide-tainted wine. Okay, they're not really the living dead, but whatever. Ya got naked hot chicks, some decent gore (including a grisly crucifixion/beheading) and gorgeous location shooting. Check it out!
*** out of ****
Goreometer rating: *** out of ****

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Homecoming - Joe Dante's entry in the Masters of Horror series is a zombie movie of a different sort: dead American soldiers have risen from their graves, but they're not hungry for warm human flesh - no, they want to vote! Spurred by political chicanery over an unpopular war, these zombies just want their voices heard. Did they die for their country or some politician's spurious gamble? Homecoming is a fairly effective political satire that works despite some unnecessary plot contrivances towards the end. How much you enjoy this will depend on your political leanings, though the message here transcends politics.
I suspect George might even like this, if only to see the Ann Coulter character get her comeuppance.
*** out of ****
Goreometer rating: ** out out ****

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Actually I've never gotten around to seeing that. I'll get to it one of these days.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Saw the trailer for NOTLD3D a while back. Doesn't look too horrible so I'm keepin' my fingers crossed.
Zombiegeddon - Troma does Buffy the Vampire Slayer with zombies! Here the Chosen One is a dirty cop who can redeem himself only by defeating Satan's army of zombies. Succeeds mainly by focusing on the dirty cop and his malignant partner who keep things rolling - the other characters are pretty much superfluous. On the downside, there isn't nearly as much zombie gut-munching action as you'd suppose given the title. If you dig Troma, give it a whirl, others beware.
** out of ****
Goreometer rating: **1/2 out of ****

Colton

Supporting Actor
I wish someone would do a movie from THE WALKING DEAD comic.
1582404135.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55592058_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1582...45#reader-link
Excellent story with character development.
- Colton

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Or better yet, a tv series (c'mon HBO!)!

Anyone else check out the Marvel Zombies series?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Redneck Zombies - Dumb and cheesy Troma classic finds the world menaced by flesh-eating zombie yokels after they imbibe a cocktail of moonshine and toxic waste. A bit draggy in places - the elephant man and hallucination scenes slow the pace - but capped by an admirably gooey zombie chowdown.
**1/2 out of ****
Goreometer rating: ***1/2 out of ****

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Revisited George Romero's zombie classic.
***1/2 out of ****
Goreometer rating: *** out of ****

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things - A group of obnoxious actors raise the dead after performing a satanistic ritual at an island graveyard. Bob Clark's low budget zombie shocker is amateurish on just about every level but still manages a tense, creepy ambience. A remake is on the way, but supposedly will include rapping zombies. Take your pick.
**1/2 out of ****
Goreometer rating: *1/2 out of ****

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I saw a movie listed on my Dish Network VOD list about loggers becoming zombies after being infected with some biological agent. Can't remember the name but I may check it out and give you guys a quick review.
Edit: Just found it on Google: Severed: Forest of the Dead.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Street Zombies (aka Ozone) - Craptastic "zombie" flick from the director of the The Dead Next Door. A cop investigates a new drug that's hit the streets (the vials are conveniently labled with the brand name Ozone!), a crack-like substance that turns its users into zombies. The lead actor pretty much carries the whole show, otherwise this is a lazily scripted time-waster that doesn't even have the goofy cheesiness of Troma's offerings. Some decent gore here and there, but no chow-downs.
* out of ****
Goreometer rating: **1/2 out of ****

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks