What's new

ZODIAC 2-Disc problems (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't see another thread open where I can post this to so I am starting a new one.

I was watching the documentary This is the Zodiac on the SE and the image would go black frequently while someone was talking. I first I thought it was some weird editing like how some programs will have a white flash between edits (i hate that) but it started to seem too random and I wonder if the video was defective. I don't believe it was my connection to the TV as nothing else I watched had this problem, and when I skipped back to rewatch the bit the same thing happened.

It was incredibly distracting and, for me, it marred the viewing of an excellent and compelling feature. I can't find anyone else commenting on this problem and wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I'm pretty sure it's the video itself and not some defect with my player or it's connection to the tv.

-paul

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
The extras were produced by David Prior and I remember another feature of his, possible the making of The Fly, using a similar technique. It definately is an editing choice he uses often.

David Prior

Insider

Indeed this was intentional. The interviews had to be edited fairly heavily, and constantly cutting away to other material would have felt distracting and somehow dishonest. In the end, I opted to cut to black not only to avoid needless jumpcuts and digressions, but also to disclose where the edits were. I noticed Erroll Morris employ this technique and thought, well, if it's good enough for him ....

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I was telling people as much on the IMDB board when the DVD was first released. It's nice to hear a confirmation coming straight from the source though.

It was pretty apparent to me knowing that there was really nothing in the way of coverage for editing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks