What's new

Zero availablility of "Jurassic Park" in DTS (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Why is it that all the sites I go to, none of them have the DTS version of "Jurassic Park"? Amazon only has the Dolby Digital 5.1 version in stock and the same is true for the other sites. Why is this? Did they stop producing the DTS version?

Secondly, should I just get the Dolby Digital 5.1 version? Is the corrected DTS version really that much better than the Dolby Digital 5.1 version?

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Thanks! But how will I know if this is the corrected DTS version?

Darn it, I just noticed that site doesn't ship outside the US.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
Okay, I went ahead and ordered the Dolby Digital 5.1 version from Amazon since I couldn't find a DTS version that could be shipped to Dubai and I really wanted to see this movie again. I hope the Dolby Digital 5.1 track is not that bad compared to the DTS track!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Even though I have no DTS track to compare it to (shame Universal didn't reissue/remaster JP for its 15th) the Dolby on the present dvd is pretty damn good.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The DD version is fine. The DTS version may be preferred, but there were issues with the LFE track on the initial pressing. This has since been corrected, but you still have to make sure you get the right disc.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
I do not know when it will be released in Blue Ray but when it does, it will have a full bit rate DTS Master Audio track because it will be from Universal Home Video.

-Claude S

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This topic used to be discussed very heatedly on HTF (years ago)... it's a shame that the DTS disc is no longer widely available, because many members here said that the corrected disc blew the Dolby 5.1. out of the water. I never had a chance to hear it myself.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't the JAP version also out of print?

I was under the impression that the R1 DTS version isn't that great. Since the JAP R2 is a different mix as well as full bitrate DTS, it sounds that much better.

You could try the China R6 version which has a high video bitrate and DTS. Not sure how it compares to the R1 (or R2) though.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
By now I would assume it is but I don't think it was when I pick it up. I think all the superbits went OOP once Blu-ray came out however its still another option to look out for.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Just wanted to add that I have the Japanese R2 Superbit of Jurassic Park that I would be willing to part with. If anyone is interested, please PM me. The video quality is far and away better than the R1 DVD and it has DTS sound.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator

Cool. The R2 and R1 look exactly the same video wise. The R6 looks the like the same transfer too with slight distortion to the image.

However I am wondering how the Japanese DTS track compares to the R6 one.

greg_t

Screenwriter

I have the R2 superbit and the R1 and I can tell you that the R2 is far superior to the R1. Screenshots don't always tell the story.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I still have the initial pressing DTS of JP because I slacked off about sending it in for replacement. The good side is that I live in an apartment so my neighbors probably appreciate the softer LFE. I always figured I'd pick up a boxset someday anyways after the third movie came out so it wasn't a big deal and with the arrival of BluRay I'm even more sure of that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks