What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR
I guess I'm in the negative camp. Zack Snyder wouldn't have been on my radar at all. We'll see, I thought this was somewhat terrible news, but it is what it is.
I didnt like 300, I did like Dawn the Dead and have Watchmen Dir Cut as number5 on my comic book adaptations list, so I dont have a problem with Zack getting the job. I think he's capable, but hope he keeps the trickery to a minimum and stays away from the type of fight choreography we saw in Watchmen and 300.

IMHO adapting Watchmen was a pretty large achievment. Terry Gilliam said the story was unfilmable.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone stoked about the possibility this film will be about Clark's "wander" years before he decides to fully commit to being Superman, which harkens back to Mark Waid/Lenil Yu's Superman: Birthright 12-issue maxi-series.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
Anyone stoked about the possibility this film will be about Clark's "wander" years before he decides to fully commit to being Superman, which harkens back to Mark Waid/Lenil Yu's Superman: Birthright 12-issue maxi-series.

Me! I think it's a take that hasn't been done before, and it allows the movie to really develop Clark Kent before introducing Superman. I never completely bought the adaptations where Superman comes about roughly the same time as Clark Kent. It always seemed a little bit too neat and obvious to me. The idea that Clark Kent gets firmly established as an ace reporter while privately struggling to come to terms with his alien heritage is very appealing to me. This idea would create a character arc that is resolved with the introduction of Superman, rather that trying to artificially create conflict for a man who is invincible, can stop bullets, and fly.

The most important thing is that Superman, when he's introduced, remains an earnest upbeat character. Superman Returns went about as far as you can push the character into dark and brooding. People say that audiences today are too sophisticated and jaded for a character like Superman, but they forget that Superman is a Depression-era create. When things in the world are as shitty as they are right now, I think audiences would really appreciate a beacon of hope like Superman that makes things better.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Let's hope they get the script squared away, heard Goyer's script isn't quite "ready" but they really need to be in production by 2011 due to the lawsuits with Superman's creators.

Merrick Gearing

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Merrick
Birthright was one of the absolute best Superman graphic novels I have ever read. It would be awesome if they made a film based on it.

I would rather them use a character such as Brainiac or Darkseid instead of Zod. Lex Luthor needs to be present as the corporate Lex instead of evil bastard.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Patrick,

I wouldn't worry about the script. They're not going to start shooting until mid summer next year. That's eight to ten months away.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
While I agree this would be an interesting take for a movie, keep in mind that this is basically what they have been doing with Smallville.

I think it's a take that hasn't been done before, and it allows the movie to really develop Clark Kent before introducing Superman. I never completely bought the adaptations where Superman comes about roughly the same time as Clark Kent. It always seemed a little bit too neat and obvious to me. The idea that Clark Kent gets firmly established as an ace reporter while privately struggling to come to terms with his alien heritage is very appealing to me. This idea would create a character arc that is resolved with the introduction of Superman, rather that trying to artificially create conflict for a man who is invincible, can stop bullets, and fly.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
300 and Watchmen really bored me, and Watchmen seemed to indicate that Snyder can't pick actors very well. However, there's always the chance that all the casting choices for Watchmen were done without his involvement. (Some choices in Watchmen were good, like Matt Frewer, but that model who tried to act just couldn't act at all ruined the film -- the one who played the woman in the yellow outfit.).

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
While I enjoyed 300 and Watchmen Snyder's best movie is still Dawn of the Dead. However in all three of those films his sense of style and direction is very strong so I am confident that he's up to the challenge and could make one kick ass Superman movie.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Goode/Veidt and Ackerman/Specter were the weakest casting choices in Watchmen. But to be honest I thought both were fine with what they did.

Cudrup/Manhattan, Morgan/The Comedian and Haley/Rorschach were brilliant choices, easily my favs of the film, and were all excellent. I thought Wilson was fine as well.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sean Bryan
While I agree this would be an interesting take for a movie, keep in mind that this is basically what they have been doing with Smallville.

I beg to differ. In Smallville, Clark Kent has essentially been Superman without the outfit since the pilot. The show's never really contemplated that destiny as a choice, and never developed a Clark Kent that would be in the position to make such a choice.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Let's hope they get the script squared away, heard Goyer's script isn't quite "ready" but they really need to be in production by 2011 due to the lawsuits with Superman's creators.
I heard about this lawsuit but not the particulars. What it's about, exactly, do you know?

Superman's life is in danger.
He needs to be rescued from Warner Brothers.
Rescued.
Rescued as in saved from a fate worse than death.
Superman will never come out right while Warner Brothers is in charge of him.

Please DC, take Superman away from the confused neurotic people at Warner Brothers who deconstruct him and do all these sick and twisted things to his story.

It's gotten so bad, I prefer the Columbia serial Atom Man Vs Superman (1950) and the low-budget indy Superman Vs the Mole Men (1952) in which our superhero was free of the burdens of relevance, political correctness, personal agendas, and the downside of feminism.

I expect better things from producer Christopher Nolan and his brother scriptwriter Jonathan Nolan, who are talented and discerning, but not necessarily the right things. The lunatics at Warner Brothers will impose their creative controls no matter what.

Superman needs to be rescued from Warner Brothers.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Superman isnt Batman. Bruce Wayne needed to "find" Batman. The simple poetic beauty of Puzos words through Brando in the Fotress scene from the Donner film says it all. Its a great scene.
I agree the premise isnt that exciting sounding. Spiderman2 and Superman Returns actually share a common theme, which is when the hero, who sacrifices so much says "What about what I want", so I like the idea of Kal-El accepting being Superman, as part of the plot, but hope it doesnt turn into taking 2+ hours for him to realize what he should be able to realize pretty quickly with the planet in the shape its in.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The last thing the world needs is another Superman origin story. Presumably, this is Part One in a new series so it needs to hit the ground running with Superman firmly established as the hero of Metropolis and just be an exciting and fun movie and then they can dig a little deeper into the character in the sequels.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by TravisR
The last thing the world needs is another Superman origin story. Presumably, this is Part One in a new series so it needs to hit the ground running with Superman firmly established as the hero of Metropolis and just be an exciting and fun movie and then they can dig a little deeper into the character in the sequels.
That's what I've been saying. Of all the superheros out there, do they really need to Superman...again? Seriously!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yes we do.

But not the origin story. Everybody on the planet knows it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I just watched a two-hour Superman doc and now I'm hyped for a new movie. Frankly, I'd like to see Welling and Durance as the leads, but there's about a zero percent chance of that. Even if they separated it from Smallville continuity, there's no way Snyder would want to make what would be widely seen as a Smallville movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks