What's new

Man of Steel (2013) (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
$113m dollar opening weekend and $125m dollars in total, i think Warner Bros will be happy with that, now let's see if it has legs and continues to make money next week and beyond.

P.S. Spoilers in the last post, you might want to add a spoiler tag, i now know something i shouldn't.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
I think the opening weekend was probably the best Warner could have hoped for, but now it's seen a HUGE second-week dropoff, with even more big blockbuster competition on the way. With a budget of around $225 million, this movie needs to do around $675 million worldwide to be safely in the black. I'm honestly not sure that's achievable at this point. What does it mean for the future of the DC Universe if MOS loses money?Sent from my SCH-S738C using Home Theater Forum mobile app

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Had this been a universally satisfying movie like "The Avengers", it should have easily cleared $350-$400 million domestically. Unfortunately, it was saddled with a suspect script and choices, and divided audiences, and led to so-so word-of-mouth, and front-loaded box office performance (the marketing leading up to its release was relentless.)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
BTW, what are the differences between this and the other MoS thread? I see now that there are two threads for the same movie.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brian Dobbs said:
BTW, what are the differences between this and the other MoS thread? I see now that there are two threads for the same movie.
Unlike Man Of Steel this thread has more stamina and has been going a long time now.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
FoxyMulder said:
Unlike Man Of Steel this thread has more stamina and has been going a long time now.
?

Everything is front loaded these days. It's simply the way the box office works. 63% fall off is pretty normal.

The movie is at $215 million US and $403 million world wide in 11 days. That's barely $3 million behind Star Trek Into Darkness' US total in 41 days, 5th for the year so far with the likelihood high that it'll pass Oz for #2 by the end of this weekend.

Yep, terrible BO performance. :rolleyes:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brandon Conway said:
?

Everything is front loaded these days. It's simply the way the box office works. 63% fall off is pretty normal.

The movie is at $215 million US and $403 million world wide in 11 days. That's barely $3 million behind Star Trek Into Darkness' US total in 41 days, 5th for the year so far with the likelihood high that it'll pass Oz for #2 by the end of this weekend.

Yep, terrible BO performance. :rolleyes:
Its good box office but not so good when you look at the overall cost of the production and some other films that have been made in the genre, mind you i have doubts about the claimed budget, i think the studio's do fiddle these figures, i mean a Bond film took over a billion worldwide last year, now that's a huge success and look at Iron Man 3, i mean the third film in a franchise also took over a billion, even the last Fast and Furious film is approaching $700m at the worldwide box office. i wanted to see this Superman film explode and do huge business because i want to see the character return to the big screen and get the big budget treatment for it's sequel.

Maybe it's the case that the first film in a new series of films doesn't do so well and the sequel does better, that's maybe the difference in today's marketplace, i still think Man Of Steel can't be considered a huge hit unless it finds more legs, of course if the budget has been fiddled then maybe i can see your point of view.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Both Paramount and WB had higher expectations for their respective franchise movies so from that perspective both films have under performed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Lou Sytsma said:
Both Paramount and WB had higher expectations for their respective franchise movies so from that perspective both films have under performed.
Paramount thought they'd do better than have with Iron Man? I hope you're wrong about that because the movie is the 5th highest grossing movie ever made. Unrealistic expectations (and everyone in the public knowing about them) is exactly what's wrong with the business side of Hollywood. How greedy or stupid is a company that thinks that they're going to manufacture a movie that's the highest grossing movie ever made?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
Paramount thought they'd do better than have with Iron Man? I hope you're wrong about that because the movie is the 5th highest grossing movie ever made. Unrealistic expectations (and everyone in the public knowing about them) is exactly what's wrong with the business side of Hollywood. How greedy or stupid is a company that thinks that they're going to manufacture a movie that's the highest grossing movie ever made?
I think they mean Star Trek Into Darkness, Iron Man 3 probably exceeded their expectations.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
FoxyMulder said:
Its good box office but not so good when you look at the overall cost of the production and some other films that have been made in the genre, mind you i have doubts about the claimed budget, i think the studio's do fiddle these figures, i mean a Bond film took over a billion worldwide last year, now that's a huge success and look at Iron Man 3, i mean the third film in a franchise also took over a billion, even the last Fast and Furious film is approaching $700m at the worldwide box office. i wanted to see this Superman film explode and do huge business because i want to see the character return to the big screen and get the big budget treatment for it's sequel.

Maybe it's the case that the first film in a new series of films doesn't do so well and the sequel does better, that's maybe the difference in today's marketplace, i still think Man Of Steel can't be considered a huge hit unless it finds more legs, of course if the budget has been fiddled then maybe i can see your point of view.
Man of Steel is the #6 movie of the year World Wide in just 12 days (Tues. just got reported, and it is now #4 US at $219.8). I think it easily crosses $600 million and has a chance to get to $800 million. Anyway you cut it, that's huge business.

WW #'s through 6/25/13

Iron Man 3 - $1,208.2 - Days since release: 55
Fast & Furious 6 - $647.2 - Days since release: 34
The Croods - $577.2 - Days since release: 97
Oz the Great and Powerful - $491.6 - Days since release: 125
Star Trek Into Darkness - $431.0 - Days since release: 42
Man of Steel - $408.1 - Days since release: 12

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brandon Conway said:
Man of Steel is the #6 movie of the year World Wide in just 12 days (Tues. just got reported, and it is now #4 US at $219.8). I think it easily crosses $600 million and has a chance to get to $800 million. Anyway you cut it, that's huge business.

WW #'s through 6/25/13

Iron Man 3 - $1,208.2 - Days since release: 55
Fast & Furious 6 - $647.2 - Days since release: 34
The Croods - $577.2 - Days since release: 97
Oz the Great and Powerful - $491.6 - Days since release: 125
Star Trek Into Darkness - $431.0 - Days since release: 42
Man of Steel - $408.1 - Days since release: 12
I don't think it will get anywhere near $800m worldwide, if it does then yes i agree with you it will be very good, my opinion is it will make between $500m and $600m worldwide.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
FoxyMulder said:
I don't think it will get anywhere near $800m worldwide, if it does then yes i agree with you it will be very good, my opinion is it will make between $500m and $600m worldwide.
You don't think it will make more than $191.9 for the remainder of its world wide run? Just doing the 60% fall-off math for the weekends alone in the US that's $60 million over the next few weekends. So, it won't do $132 million on US weekdays and all days internationally going forward? That seems unlikely to me, especially since it probably will get an OK bump instead of dropping 60% over the 4th of July weekend.

It hasn't had opening numbers for China reported yet (as well as several other countries). Iron Man 3 has made $120 million in China. Let's be cautious and say that Man of Steel makes only 1/3rd of that. That's another $40 million for China alone. So now we're at $90 million left for the weekday US and non-China remaining international take (if China doesn't surpass $40 million).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Brandon Conway said:
You don't think it will make more than $191.9 for the remainder of its world wide run? Just doing the 60% fall-off math for the weekends alone in the US that's $60 million over the next few weekends. So, it won't do $132 million on US weekdays and all days internationally going forward? That seems unlikely to me, especially since it probably will get an OK bump instead of dropping 60% over the 4th of July weekend.

It hasn't even opened in China yet. Iron Man 3 has made $120 million in China. Let's be cautious and say that Man of Steel makes only 1/3rd of that. That's another $40 million for China alone. So now we're at $90 million left for the weekday US and non-China remaining international take (if China doesn't surpass $40 million).
Some tough competition coming up in the next month, i think Man Of Steel will drop substantially, there might be a chance if it does well in China but i think Superman doesn't have the same international appeal anymore that for example an Avengers film does have.

You can remind me of how wrong i was next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks