1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Zack Snyder's Man of Steel

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Greg_S_H, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Sounds promising. That last sentence is very exciting.
    http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-chris-nolan-hell-mentor-superman-3-0-while-preparing-3rd-batman/

2. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I have no doubt that Nolan could do a fantastic job with the Superman franchise(and after what Singer did with Superman Returns the bar certainly isn't very high), but I'd prefer he focus all his efforts on the 3rd Batman film before setting his sights on the Man of Steel.

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Screenwriter

They just have to lose the suit, the blue and red spandex are holding them back in this time period. A modern day superman, who finds out he has unbelievable powers, first instinct is NOT to run to the store and buy blue and red spandex. Might of been fun in the 40's, but doesn't work today. IMHO...

4. Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell Screenwriter

Greg K.
    The suit is iconic, although it is quite dated. It would be interesting to see Superman with an updated look. (Edna: No capes!)

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'd like to see the fan reaction if they make some larger changes to the costume. I think "insane blind rage" would probably be a good description.

6. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

As long as he's called Superman from the get go. Not something stupid like "The Blur"

7. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Everyone and their pet dog knows the origin of Superman. Skip it entirely, or show it in the opening credits montage (a la The Incredible Hulk).

Just start with Superman established in Metropolis and get a good villain/plot going.

8. SilverWook

SilverWook Screenwriter

Bill
    The last time they messed with the suit in the comics, it didn't go over so well. Supes without the cape, is like Batman without his cowl and utility belt.

I know the mythology has changed over the years, but didn't Ma Kent make the suit out of the blankets that baby Kal-El was wrapped in?

Superman II did a pretty good montage summing up the events of the first film, so that could work again for the benefit of the few people who don't know the backstory.

9. Greg_S_H

Greg
    How about after the WB shield and all of the production company logos are displayed, text is placed on the screen that says, "Buy Smallville S1 - S13 on Blu-Ray and DVD!"?
    I know that doesn't work for those of you who think the Smallville take is invalid. Otherwise, it's perfect. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Just about anyone can, and I'm sure will, do a better job at a Superman film than Singer did. Let's just hope that if Nolan does get involved he edits the running time down to under 2 hours and includes more action and less drama. While his Batman films were ok, they were far too long and drawn out.

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

You might get more action but I wouldn't hold my breath for a movie under 2 hours. I think it's a law now that every summer movie has to run about 2 and a half hours.

12. cafink

cafink Producer

That's true; Nolan's Batman flicks weren't very well received, and The Dark Knight in particular didn't make a crap-ton of money and set all kind of box-office records, so he'd be wise to take Superman in an entirely different direction.

13. Worth

Worth Screenwriter

Nick Dobbs
    Sarcasm aside, I think Superman needs a much lighter touch than Batman and that's not something we've seen from Nolan so far. The Dark Knight was an impressive film, but it was also very grim and serious. Superman needs to be much sunnier and optimistic - one of the problems with the Singer film is that it took Superman down a much darker road that didn't seem to mesh with the character and established mythology.

14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

No origin and no Lex Luthor and I'll be fine with it. Those have been done to death.

15. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I suppose I'm up for this even though I think it's so sad that Routh won't be back as Supes, I thought he did an awesome job.
    But he must be in the suit, that's a deal breaker.
    No suit = no sale. /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsdown.gif

16. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Routh is doing a great job on Chuck right now.

17. Chad R

Chad R Screenwriter

Chad Rouch
    Quote:
    I agree with the origin. There's not a person on earth who doesn't know it by now. But if they hew to the modern version of Lex and not stick to the dippy version Donner created in '78 like Singer did, the Lex will be fresh and interesting.
    He should not be the central villain, it should be someone with enough powers to threaten Superman physically (and not Zod, he's been done to death having appeared twice on Smallville). But Lex should stir the pot and make matter worse for Superman.

18. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

So, it was just a rumor?!!?!?!!?

Got me all excited for nothing. :-(

http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/5899/christopher-nolans-involvement-in-superman-reboot-nothing-but-rumor

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Well I for one am glad Nolan isn't involved, he did good with the Batman films but his films tend to be dark, gloomy and humourless. Which ironically is exactly how Bryan Singer's Superman Returns turned out. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

20. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Doesn't mean it's not true. Somebody probably just jumped the gun and they don't want to talk about it right now.