What's new

Yup, UV is still a joke (1 Viewer)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
It worked fine a few months ago, and now it doesn't work at all. It's gone from being sort of pointlessly complicated to being totally impossible for absolutely no reason. The future of home video has rejected me, it seems. However, my old-fashioned Blu-Rays retain their simple, elegant usefulness.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No. Flixter has failed you David. And they're hardly the future of home video. They're more like the past obsolete platform. Don't give up yet.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Exactly that. You all know I'm not a fan but I was put in charge of redeeming my family's collection of codes and they'd like to be able to take advantage of them on the super easy to use new Apple TV. Piping from an iPad is doable but defeats the ease of use factor, it's confusing enough for them to have to log in to a second account inside an App.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Letting your passion get in your eyes there a bit =)

Apple is fine with UV providers having apps on their store, they can either eschew sales in those apps or cut em in for 30%. Vudu has an App on tablets as do other UV providers. Google, Amazon and Sony also have media apps too. The only thing stopping them from doing so on Apple TV is the vendors themselves.

Try getting iTunes content on that Roku. Which my extended family have a ton of, probably 10x the amount of UV content movies alone. Apple has zero incentive to make apps for any other platform whereas everyone else has huge incentives to put out iOS apps.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Yeah maybe a bit... :) I stopped using iTunes movies awhile ago since they are so limited on the devices they support. UV is supported almost everywhere on any device. Per most of the head to head quality battles I have seen it is the best quality streaming. Sorry don't have a better Apple TV solution.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yup. Especially this quote:

"Physical vs. Digital: Who Wins?
Despite all of these downsides, I think most of us probably prefer digital over physical. The ownership issues will likely fade into the background over the next few years and digital security will improve as people learn the right steps to take."

So in essence it was never a joke[emoji12]

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
  • That's what's I like about the piece. It's written by someone coming at the issue from the point of view that they are comfortable with digital media, and even see it as being inevitable, yet here are some things to consider.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sure you can't ever SELL digital content is true, but believing that licenses will never be transferable is short sighted. Already being proven wrong in Europe. It WILL happen.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Yup. Especially this quote:

"Physical vs. Digital: Who Wins?
Despite all of these downsides, I think most of us probably prefer digital over physical. The ownership issues will likely fade into the background over the next few years and digital security will improve as people learn the right steps to take."

That might be the worst summation by an author ever. He lists reasoned negatives for 7 pages, and then with no rationale whatsoever states the opposite. At best it's his personal opinion despite (his own) logic, but it almost feels more like someone paid to have that added in at the end. Or maybe an editor slapped it on.

Three cheers for my QNAP server!

Hello_ChoCho

Auditioning
Real Name
René
Physical copy. I'm still pretty sure digital copy will surpass physical, but I will figure that out if & when.

P

Patrick Donahue

I hate to say it, I truly do, but the choice of physical vs. digital might be made for us. Just look at how fast sales are falling for discs. And this is coming after years of falling sales. It will get to the point, as if it hasn't already, where a favorite catalog title simply isn't released on a disc...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think most of the catalog titles will be licensed and released by smaller companies like Shout! Factory, Kino, Twilight Time and Olive to name a few.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I did a little searching and found that new Edison cylinders and piano rolls are still being made. I think we have a ways to go yet.

PS: No current hits are available on those media, though, so don't go rummaging in the attic for your old player just yet.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I did a little searching and found that new Edison cylinders and piano rolls are still being made. I think we have a ways to go yet.

PS: No current hits are available on those media, though, so don't go rummaging in the attic for your old player just yet.
Darn, and I thought I might find Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass" on the latest Edison waxing! ;)

I get your point about existing physical media/players not being likely to disappear anytime soon! :)

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks