What's new

You've gotta love Oliver Stone (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I agree, Oliver Stone's work is incredible. His direction is so damn dynamic that I can't watch another movie right after one of his, it'll seem to stale in comparison to his work. I agree, he is one of the best working directors today. His editing and use of music is on par with Scorsese's best work.

About the Bob Richardson thing, they fell out because Oliver wouldn't shoot a movie about Alexander the Great, among other things. Interstingly, Stone is doing exactly that, except Bob isn't shooting it. The guy who shot 25th hour and 21 grams is, and he's very good, i might add, although nowhere near the greatness of Bob, who just finishing Scorsese's the upcoming 'The Aviator.'

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

This alone would seem to suggest bad blood, as Stone and Tarantino have no love lost between them. Working with Tarantino might have been seen as a slap in the face by Stone.

Andre Barros

Stunt Coordinator
Kind of going back to the original subject...

Do you guys think that Oliver Stone damands a commentary track on these DVD's? I would like to know if there are any of his movies on DVD that do not have the commentary track.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

U Turn
Talk Radio

And that's it, for the ones available on DVD. All other Stone flicks include DVD commentaries...

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget, he also wrote the screenplays for Midnight Express, Conan the Barbarian, and Scarface.

Unfortunately, I think that after Nixon, he pretty much played himself out. I didn't really care for Any Given Sunday, it actually bored me, something I never thought an Oliver Stone movie would do. And U-turn was VERY disappointing to me, but I admit that has to do more with my reading (and loving) the novel it was based on, "Stray Dogs" not more than a couple weeks before I saw the movie. But even aside from that, I just thought the almost cliched (at that point) "Oliver Stone Patented Visual Style" was very ill-suited for that story, and it showed

But like was said prior, he had an AMAZING run. And this discussion has pretty much reminded me I gotta beef up my Stone collection. As of right now all I have is JFK and Scarface, I need to grab up Platoon and Born on the Fourth. and Talk Radio is probably his most underrated flick--I remember that movie sticking with me for a LONG time after I first saw it--and I don't think I've seen it since.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I remember hearing that U-turn was cut for violence and other things? Has anyone heard anything like this? Also, I remember hearing about a longer cut of Born on the Forth of July or at least it being a 2 disc set.
Thanks

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

Am I missing something??

U-Turn

R1 - Columbia Tristar

Theatrical Trailer
English, French and Spanish Subtitles
1.85:1 anamorphic NTSC
Dolby Digital 5.1 English
Dolby digital Surround English, French and Spanish
Amaray Case

Granted, it doesn't have a commentary track, but, a anamorphic transfer it does have.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Vic may be unaware of the rerelease.

I was suprised to see it w/ the new cover in Best Buy a few months back. I had no idea it was redone.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Why does he have two seperate commentaries on the Nixon DVD? Thing is, he doesn't talk a lot on either. I really wish they would have edited them together.

I only have that and The Doors in my collection. Definitely need to get JFK and Platoon, at least.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I believe the thing was with Nixon is basically when combined it's just a bit longer than the movie hence two tracks. Horrible idea, but at least it's a full commentary. I was a little upset by the censoring in Charlie Rose show segment they had in the set, but oh well.
Thanks

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Stone's films run parallel with reality, but he makes his changes for 'artistic' sake.

While JFK has been quoted extensively in this thread, one film and the actual reality were two different things that Stone had done was The Doors

The scene that comes to mind was when the Doors were appearing on the Ed Sullivan Show, and they weren't allowed to say "higher" on television. Stone depicted Morrison (Kilmer) as overly gloating the lyric into the camera (..take me higher YEAH!).

However, in reality, The Doors sang the song verbatim and very still on stage without the movement and audacity that Stone depicted Morrisons performance as. My reference was "The Best of the Ed Sullivan Show" on laserdisc that had this performance. Once I saw that, I was a bit disappointed in the possible other inaccuracies portrayed in his films.

But it was entertaining though...

Matt_H

Stunt Coordinator
personally i think oliver stone is a little overrated.I absolutely hated scarface and still do with a passion(the commercials this christmas didn't help). He's made some good films though I liked Wall Street and Platoon(haven't seen alot of his other work admittingly because of a distaste with some of those I've seen).

Matthew_S

Second Unit
good to see a stone thread here...he's been my favorite director since 1985....anyway, Born on the fourth of july is in dire need of a better transfer, the current discs are horrible...universal? please?

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

Well, I would think that was more DePalma's fault than Stone's, who wrote the screenplay but did not direct. I have always enjoyed Stone's films (with the notable exception of the truly awful and bombastic Any Given Sunday), even if I treat JFK as a work of science fiction. My major problem with Stone, and his films, is his lack of humour in his work (and with Stone himself).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"My major problem with Stone, and his films, is his lack of humour in his work (and with Stone himself)."

NBK is full of humor.

A cool Alexander pic on the net today

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks