What's new

"You're the only one who cares about any of this stuff," says—who else?—Dave. (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

He can't like it that much. He has it in P&S and has an opportunity to replace it by upgrading to a DVD player, but won't. Obviously, he only wants to watch 2/3 of the movie. :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Although gun racks aren't required for transport in California
Indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if they were illegal here ;)

2000 S10
MER baseball cap

Jack,
Ok, you've got to tell us - how did your evening with your friend turn out?

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
A cursory Google search shows quite a few hits on "dave cohen photographer", scattered all over the country.

Tell Dave he's not unique, and show him all the pretentious photographer pages. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What was going to bring him back into my neighborhood was that he had to pick up an attachment accessory for his new monopod at a well-known camera shop near where I live (Samy's). Turned out he got a call from Samy's and the assistant said the part was at the company's Pasadena store, which is where The Mouth went.

Off the hook, but, as Malcolm pointed out, the Pillsbury Doughboy trick worked on me and I'm not boiling over with anger any longer.

He called not much longer than an hour ago. I mentioned to him that I am getting a boatload of DVDs next month, and, jokingly, I asked him what I should get. Dave then launches into a diatribe about some of the films in my library. He has no clue about Star Trek, so I let his ignorant anti-Trek mouthings roll off my back.

But he actually tried to crack wise about seeing a copy of the recent Fox reissue of All About Eve on my shelves.

"Dave," I said in as condescending a tone as possible, "that is a classic film, and one of Bette Davis's finest performances. Have you ever heard of Bette Davis, Dave?"

A torrent of verbal abuse came from the other end of the line, then we changed subjects.

Oh, and an interesting update: Cohen has decided to accept that still-in-its-unopened-box, brand-new, unused Panasonic CT-27D12D NTSC 27-inch direct-view set after helping me move all my bulky displays around. The only thing holding matters up is that I still haven't decided which set I want to buy. Holding off on a 47-inch 16:9 Panny RPTV because of its lack of a DVI/HDCP input. Maybe a non-issue, but I'm trying to be forward-thinking.

Wonder if I should ask for Dave's advice?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Did you not win that set at circuit city or something? I hope not because it would mean I have been spending waaaaayy to much time on HTF if I remember such details. Yikes.

--
Holadem

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You should get yourself a 42" Panasonic plasma TV. Put it in torch mode, and play concert DVDs of scantily clad female pop stars bouncing around the stage (my favorite is the trio of violin and bass violin playing chicks). That should calm Dave down a bit next time he comes over.

Make sure you wear sunglasses though...I hear them plasma TVs are rootin'-tootin' bright!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Would you be referring to a Viola, Max? ;)

I believe you're referring to Bond. Sure hope you turn the sound off when you play that.

Sorry, I'm in a sarcastic mood today.

"How can you tell?" Someone in the background whispers.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I was about to say viola, but I thought better of it, because it might be confused with the correctly-spelled voila! exclamation that people love to associate with the fine musical instrument!

For the record, I have never heard any of Bond's (so that's what they are called...huzzah) music. Only watched the muted video on a plasma TV screen at a boutique HT store. :)

Pamela

Supporting Actor
...he had to pick up an attachment accessory for his new monopod
For goodness sake, what does he need a monopod for? He has two hands to hold the camera, doesn't he? :rolleyes:

Samy's...sigh. That's a blast from the past. Harkens back to better days. Good times. Now you've gone and made me all weepy.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Pam, on the day the original Samy's store was burning (during Day Two of the great Civil Unrest of 1992), it was uncanny to be watching a live network feed from NBC-TV in New York of the store going up in flames while, at the same time, being able to look outside my window and see the billowing plume directly. Strange. Oh, and I have some Dave Cohen stories related to the 1992 riots. JB

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Jack, I remember that day very well. I sat glued to the TV, watching it go up in flames and saying to myself, "All those Nikons. All of those Hassleblads. Going up in smoke. Do I have time to get down their and loot before it burns to the ground?" No, but really...it was like a dagger through my heart watching it burn.

I spent a lot of time and money at that place. Camera stuff was to me then, what HT stuff is to me now. Me and my then-sweetie hangin' at Samy's. Fond memories of a better time.... I'm getting all sentimental now...

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Actually I think Jack is pretending to be having a spat with Dave Bowman.... :laugh: Jack is, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Things a little boring out there in Idaho, Dennis?

You keep resurrecting these fossilized threads. ;)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Actually we are one of the introductory sites for www.clearwire.com which is a pretty good way to get broadband and yet cut out the local cable and local telephone company.

Jack won't mind kitty photos in his thread. The Flufferdoodle is much too tired to hang out on line at the present time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ah, yes, the kitty "bear trap" pose. You just can't resist reaching down to scratch that fuzzy tummy and before you know it four sets of claws snap on your hand and a set of fangs sinks into your wrist. ;)

What're those scars on your wrist? You didn't attempt suicide, did you?

No, I just live with a cat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks