What's new

"You're the only one who cares about any of this stuff," says—who else?—Dave. (1 Viewer)

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Geez, Jack, the way you right these things it comes off like a rich man-poor man romantic comedy, or a bad sitcom. Either way, you knew/know he's going to do it, and he probably does know how much it drives you nuts. Serenity now! :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You're sure he doesn't read HTF, even if he says he doesn't? If he's somewhat knowledgeable about the Internet, I would think there'd be some curiosity about HTF just on the basis of him knowing you.

Perhaps he's just trying to get more HTF press? ;)

Why do I have visions of the Pillsbury Dough-Boy? Trying to be real serious, but dissolving into giggles when tickled on the tummy. :D

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
This gets better all the time.

Jack, what you're describing sounds like a pretty solid friendship to me. You don't have to agree on everything, you don't have to share the same interests or priorities, you just have to have a reason for the friendship (although, it has been said that true friends [whatever that means] often forget the circumstances by which they became so in the first place). It sounds like you do.

It's a great thing to know someone who, reliably, makes you laugh. :D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Jack, I'm really wondering if you are just messing with us in these threads about this guy. Have you aver tried actually talking to the guy about this?

BTW Zen. Want a better capture of that scene from BR? I can probably do one for you. I just don't remember how much that is cropped from the full image.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Sounds like he simply enjoys pushing your buttons about your (in his J6P eyes) unwarranted devotion to a hobby he considers meaningless. And I definitely think he exaggerates his ignorance about HT, just because he knows it'll get you that much angrier. Seems to be working ;)

Of course, making negative comments about the house cat was a little too clueless. Even I, cat hater extraordinaire, know better than to do that. So maybe he is just an oblivious, tactless, jerk.

But he also sounds like a good friend, so just let it go :) I don't know about you, but I like having friends that don't think twice about making a crude, socially inept remark, but who also take my verbal abuse in stride. It's nice not having to fake niceness when you don't feel like it.

Or maybe I'm just an anti-social prick. In which case, give Dave my number. I'm sure we'll get along great :p)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Zen, Cohen is Dave's last name.

He haunts AOL chat rooms that cater to singles. Says he has been to HTF once and noticed my posts, but for some reason I just don't believe him. He used to like to read my stories and reviews on the Web when I was last writing for a regional newspaper that targets the downtown Los Angeles area.

His knowledge of the Internet is a bit limited.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Jack
I have many friends which many people consider off beat. Most people have some aspect of their personality that can get under your skin, as long as you acknowledge it and expect it; it's not so bad.
One friend of mine very rarely shows up even if she says she will. This trait has pissed off many people that we both know. Long ago I acknowledged her trait and never expect her to show up.... I dont get upset and we are still friends.
Accept he can have a jerk side but also a sense of humor that can make friendship worthwhile
Once you get to a certain age, people are not going to change much no matter what
My 2 cents
Have fun
Grant

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
BTW Zen. Want a better capture of that scene from BR?
I would love one. :)

Jack, you seem to know Mr. Dave Cohen very well. I don't think you're overly surprised by his demeanor. Your descriptions of him drip off this screen, which indicate a certain form of comrade, despite your inner turmoil. He just appears a little unaware of self. Now the fact that you share a similar area of the spectrum adds to the irony. I kept picturing a bearded man, with a gun rack in his 68 Ford F100 and a bass-fishing cap. The fact that he defuses the same anger that he induces in you, Mr. Cohen seems to have a bit more going on than "Hey Jack, whats this thing do?"

DarrinH

Second Unit
Jack, I'll be your friend.:D
There are next to no people at all here in my state that have even a clue about HT.
I know some of your pain.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh: You two guys are like the "Odd Couple" of Home Theatre. No offense, but your posts regarding your friend are hilarious. I would really like to see you two guys do a movie review together. If you didn't end up wanting to murder him by the end of it, the results would be humorous.

I could just see you two reviewing 2001: A Space Odyssey....

J.B "2001: A Space Odyssey is Stanley Kubrick at his best. Kubrick's masterpiece is a Science Fiction film with the emphasis on science. Mr. Kubrick's depiction of a deep space mission to Jupiter is one that has a ring of authenticity. Kubrick dares to ask the big questions in this film. Questions regarding evolution and the meaning of...D.C CUTS IN..."(expletive deleted)".

J.B "EXCUSE ME?!"

D.C "Expletive deleted".

J.B "Well, Dave, since you believe that Stanley Kubrick's film is nothing but (expletive deleted). Would you care to give your reasons for thinking so?"

D.C "Well, Jack, only you would think that a movie about a big ol'(expletive deleted) space ship travelling to (expletive deleted) Jupiter is a (expletive deleted) masterpiece. This (expletive deleted) film goes absolutely nowhere and nothing ever (expletive deleted) happens. Two (expletive deleted) hours of watching some (expletive deleted) rocket coasting through space and for what? Just to end up watching a (expletive deleted) light show that looks like a recollection of a bad (expletive deleted) LSD trip."

J.B "Excuse me, folks...(sounds of strangling)...Dave, you can insult my H.T, but insulting Stanley kubrick is just too much. By the way....(further sounds of choking)....it really pissed me off when you insulted Attila...you (expletive deleted)".

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
with a gun rack in his 68 Ford F100 and a bass-fishing cap
Hey - I resemble that remark!

Although gun racks aren't required for transport in California, it's a 2001 F-150, and it's a USS Theodore Roosevelt ball cap......:b

But then again I manage the Fluffy Pumpkin Theater, with 108 MHz video DACs in the Philips 963 driving an AVT-3700 scaler driving a Marquee 8501LC.....:emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The absolutely weird thing is that Cohen, who owns very few VHS tapes, has a pan-and-scan VHS copy of 2001. No kidding, but he likes the film. But we did get into a big argument about Eyes Wide Shut back in 1999. He also de facto forced me to go see Phantom Menace with him at the Chinese Theatre. I still complain about that to him.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've had girlfriends who've smirked at my movie mania, never understood why I would want to collect films when they're on the tv all the time, my current live-in tormentor rolls her eyes when I'm unwrapping a new bunch of dvds, but doesn't complain when I play them.

I have a mate sort of similar to Jack's who warned me years ago not to buy films in widescreen because I would have a hard time selling them in the future!! eh? I still see him, he's a good bloke but we're definitely not on the same wavelength when it comes to movies, and he prefers Playstation to DVDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks