What's new

Your want/prediction list for 2011 (1 Viewer)

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
A few I'd love to see next year'd be ......It's A Mad,Mad,Mad World,The Grateful Dead Movie and Pink Floyd's The Wall.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Curious if any Marx Bros. will make it to blu-ray. To those in "the know," what do You think the chances are of that happening?

I have a feeling we'll start to see MOD blu-rays later in 2011 -- not many, but a few to test the waters.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Already posted some predictions. Here's a small want-list

Anniversary Titles (that I don't think are going to happen, but I hope I'm wrong)

Wolfen

The Rocketeer (last word from a Disney exec was "no plans for '11)

Outland

Jean de Florette/ Manon Of The Spring (oh how I wish Criterion could pry this from MGM)

Fox's annual R&H release

Oklahoma! (I'll take 'em as they come, and if they have to limit them to one a year to show up as well as they have, that's fine too- but I do hope I see this one sooner rather than later down the line)

Sony

Anatomy Of A Murder

The Swimmer

Criterion

The River (Renoir)

Beauty And The Beast

Carnival Of Souls

All That Heaven Allows

Barbarella (if they can get this from Paramount- it's the kind of title that affords plenty of great supplemental opportunities)

Warner

The Accidental Tourist

A Little Romance

Soylent Green

Lionsgate

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers

A few more safe 'predicitions'- Conan, All About Eve & Sunset Boulevard (possibly from Criterion)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott

Already posted some predictions. Here's a small want-list

Anniversary Titles (that I don't think are going to happen, but I hope I'm wrong)

Jean de Florette/ Manon Of The Spring (oh how I wish Criterion could pry this from MGM)

I would surely love to see this pair released by Criterion (it could happen, as MGM is now licensing to them). The French Blu-ray double-feature box that I ordered looks swell but has no English subtitles. What's up with that? Same thing with MAD ADVENTURES OF RAgetting the RABBI JACOB Blu-ray, and the DVD's of BEAU PERE and LE GRAND CHEMIN. Don't we tend to put French subtitles on most of our titles that are likely to appeal to that country? Seems like we're getting the short end of the international stick there.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A bunch of the titles mentioned here will undoubtedly be released. I certainly support a Blu edition of VON RYAN'S EXPRESS, as the previous DVD's both sucked. The first was too dark and contrasty, and the so-called special edition was blurry almost to the point of unwatchability. I had hoped this title would come out as part of the war series along with PATTON, TORA TORA TORA, THE SAND PEBBLES and LONGEST DAY, as it had been on DVD, but so far, no such luck.

I suspect Criterion will give the Blu treatment to BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1946), maybe even soon. BARBARELLA is highly unlikely - probably not of interest to Criterion, as it certainly isn't to Paramount. From Warner Bros, a remaster of THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING is so overdue and so oft-requested that that could show up next year, but OUTLAND...well, if the studio was to revive the short-lived double-feature series, that could turn up. As a stand-alone, I would be surprised. THE WICKER MAN (1973) is coming on Blu in the UK, so maybe it will surface here after. I am not sure how much it would benefit from high def treatment.

THE QUIET MAN: oh, how I wish! And Lionsgate is doing some nice work lately. But they haven't paid any recent attention to their Republic library. Eventually I think we'll get the two most popular George Pal films WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953) and THE TIME MACHINE (1960). PULP FICTION should be one of the any-minute-now titles. MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON: gorgeous film, but a real long-shot. There is an anamorphic transfer of this in Europe, but we may have to settle for that. I've heard from someone who heard from someone at Universal that the Spielberg films in their control will not be pouring into the market in the very near future, with the exception of one or two titles. Disney might actually confound us in 2011 and finally give us a MARY POPPINS Blu, but we may have to wait until year or two before they begin rolling out their classic live-action titles in quantity.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS: almost certainly in 2011. CLEOPATRA: Hmm, it was popular enough to warrant several DVD releases, so maybe so. A Blu could actually make it worthwhile to sit all the way through, even after Rex Harrison departs.

It's all a crap shoot. I was surprised by recent announcements of THE RIGHT STUFF, ISHTAR and ORLANDO, so I guess anything's possible.

Those are my sort-of "predictions," and will probably turn out to be as accurate as today's weather forecast for next week.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I want to see the studios put a lot more effort into remastering the old classics as these are far more interesting than most modern movies from the past 10-15 years when the story telling became secondary to production design etc etc.

I do not think that we will see Indiana Jones at all in 2011 because Star Wars is coming so Lucasfilm will not allow there 2 biggest franchises to take sales from each other.

Some more Hitchcock is badly needed on BD as well but only if done right. I would expect & demand the same level of detail put into NBNW on his other masterpieces like Marnie,Vertigo & The Birds.

Think I heard The Abyss & True Lies were on Cameron's to do list next but suspect Avatar sidelined those.

What I find really hard to understand is why its taking much longer compared to DVD to get catalog titles onto BD. I can only guess that BD is still not selling the numbers & or they have plenty of DVD inventory to clear.

Every xmas you know people are looking to buy certain movies so you would think there would be a big push to get these known to sell catalog titles out there sooner rather than later...............

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Dick

A bunch of the titles mentioned here will undoubtedly be released. I certainly support a Blu edition of VON RYAN'S EXPRESS, as the previous DVD's both sucked. The first was too dark and contrasty, and the so-called special edition was blurry almost to the point of unwatchability. I had hoped this title would come out as part of the war series along with PATTON, TORA TORA TORA, THE SAND PEBBLES and LONGEST DAY, as it had been on DVD, but so far, no such luck.

I suspect Criterion will give the Blu treatment to BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1946), maybe even soon. BARBARELLA is highly unlikely - probably not of interest to Criterion, as it certainly isn't to Paramount. From Warner Bros, a remaster of THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING is so overdue and so oft-requested that that could show up next year, but OUTLAND...well, if the studio was to revive the short-lived double-feature series, that could turn up. As a stand-alone, I would be surprised. THE WICKER MAN (1973) is coming on Blu in the UK, so maybe it will surface here after. I am not sure how much it would benefit from high def treatment.

THE QUIET MAN: oh, how I wish! And Lionsgate is doing some nice work lately. But they haven't paid any recent attention to their Republic library. Eventually I think we'll get the two most popular George Pal films WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953) and THE TIME MACHINE (1960). PULP FICTION should be one of the any-minute-now titles. MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON: gorgeous film, but a real long-shot. There is an anamorphic transfer of this in Europe, but we may have to settle for that. I've heard from someone who heard from someone at Universal that the Spielberg films in their control will not be pouring into the market in the very near future, with the exception of one or two titles. Disney might actually confound us in 2011 and finally give us a MARY POPPINS Blu, but we may have to wait until year or two before they begin rolling out their classic live-action titles in quantity.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS: almost certainly in 2011. CLEOPATRA: Hmm, it was popular enough to warrant several DVD releases, so maybe so. A Blu could actually make it worthwhile to sit all the way through, even after Rex Harrison departs.

It's all a crap shoot. I was surprised by recent announcements of THE RIGHT STUFF, ISHTAR and ORLANDO, so I guess anything's possible.

Those are my sort-of "predictions," and will probably turn out to be as accurate as today's weather forecast for next week.

Hopefully War of the Worlds will be done right. I've got the remastered version they put out but the visible wires make it impossible to watch.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
What I find really hard to understand is why its taking much longer compared to DVD to get catalog titles onto BD. I can only guess that BD is still not selling the numbers & or they have plenty of DVD inventory to clear.

We should be thankful for that if it means new masters. Most of the catalog that appeared on DVD in the first few years was nothing more than rehashed LD transfers, many of which were later redone. I'd rather wait a bit and buy a title once on Blu, I have too many multiple versions on DVD already.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
No predictions. Wish List:

Spielberg, Spielberg, Spielberg (Jaws, 1941, Schindler's List, Duel, Sugarland Express, Always, Empire of the Sun, The Color Purple, Amistad, Munich, A.I., The Terminal - Bring em!)

Strange Brew (Do it, eh!)

More Disney animation (Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Silly Symphonies, The Fox and the Hound, Robin Hood, The Black Cauldron)

Looney Toones

Luther (Joseph Feines)

Chariots of Fire

Indiana Jones

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I'd like to add to my previous post a plea to Miramax and Dimension to come out of their slumber and start releasing some of the back catalog on Blu. There are too many classic (and not-so-classic) films still sitting on old DVDs and in need of upgrades. Also, is anybody at Disney aware that they also made LIVE-ACTION films and not just cartoons? Practically none of the catalog live-action movies have made the jump to hi-def (stuff like Flight of the Navigator, Journey of Natty Gann, etc).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Luisito34

I'd like to add to my previous post a plea to Miramax and Dimension to come out of their slumber and start releasing some of the back catalog on Blu.

The Miramax catalog was bought recently but I imagine that you're going to see alot of their titles coming out so they can start seeing a return on their investment. I'd be surprised if Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown weren't available by this time next year.

And I don't know if the Dimension catalog was part of the Miramax purchase too but either way, I'm sure you'll see the Scream movies next year.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Luisito34

I'd like to add to my previous post a plea to Miramax and Dimension to come out of their slumber and start releasing some of the back catalog on Blu. There are too many classic (and not-so-classic) films still sitting on old DVDs and in need of upgrades. Also, is anybody at Disney aware that they also made LIVE-ACTION films and not just cartoons? Practically none of the catalog live-action movies have made the jump to hi-def (stuff like Flight of the Navigator, Journey of Natty Gann, etc).

Some of the Disney live-action titles didn't even get good DVDs.

Many have been remastered for HD because the Hallmark Movie Channel asked for them.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by TravisR

I'd like to add to my previous post a plea to Miramax and Dimension to come out of their slumber and start releasing some of the back catalog on Blu.

The Miramax catalog was bought recently but I imagine that you're going to see alot of their titles coming out so they can start seeing a return on their investment. I'd be surprised if Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown weren't available by this time next year.

And I don't know if the Dimension catalog was part of the Miramax purchase too but either way, I'm sure you'll see the Scream movies next year.

[/QUOTE]

It would be nice if some of the Miramax were licensed to Criterion. The Three Colors trilogy, Amelie, City of God, Purple Noon immediately come to mind.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm surprisingly happy with the way things are going, BD wise, particularly with all the gifts from the likes of Criterion; but my wants are pretty much anything by Powell and Pressburger, anything by John Ford, John Huston, Welles, Peckinpah, Lean, Melville and Wilder.

Oh, and White Hunter, Black Heart.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
My wants are... Jack Clayton's The Innocents The original The Haunting The Loved One Sunset Blvd Bride of Frankenstein Stormy Weather The Busby Berkeley disk Saludos Amigos / Three Caballeros Blue Velvet Peeping Tom Eraserhead 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Chinatown And I hear that I will actually be getting one on my list... Bakshi's Coonskin

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
VERY frustrated that it looks like we won't get the Indy trilogy next year. We were meant to get them last year at one point weren't we? We have Indy 4 already on blu and it's nuts we don't have the other three. They could just put out a bare-bones release (the HD broadcasts look fab!) of the films and do a fancy one later down the line. If Spielberg is playing the waiting game due to seeing how the market pans out, these files ARE the reason many people would buy into the format. I guess as some have said Star Wars on blu is the reason they won't be released next year. Bluray's been out for - what - 4 years now? And still no Indy trilogy.

Anyways with that rant out of the way, here's my want list:

1) The ORIGINAL Star Wars theatrical editions cleaned up, but not altered in any way/shape/form. A Criterion style release with original making of's, trailers, interviews etc. It'll never happen but nice to dream all the same ;)

2) Solaris (1972)

3) The Man Who Fell to Earth (in the UK)

4) Jaws

5) Volere Volare

6) Betty Blue

7) Anything Hammer Horror!

8) Ringu

9) Blue Velvet

10) Kwaidan

11) The Haunting (original!)

12) Superman films

- John

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by johnSM

VERY frustrated that it looks like we won't get the Indy trilogy next year. We were meant to get them last year at one point weren't we?

That was a rumor but since LFL had no big home video release last year or this year, I bet that rumor was the product of wishful thinking or an outright lie than anything else.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Hmmm didn't I post something in a very similar thread fairly recently or did I imagine it? Anyway...

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Ben-Hur[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Lawrence of Arabia[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Jaws[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Star Wars[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Indiana Jones[/COLOR]

Would make 2011 an even better blu-ray year than 2010 in my book.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by bigshot

My wants are...

Jack Clayton's The Innocents
The original The Haunting
The Loved One
Sunset Blvd
Bride of Frankenstein
Stormy Weather
The Busby Berkeley disk
Saludos Amigos / Three Caballeros
Blue Velvet
Peeping Tom
Eraserhead
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Chinatown

And I hear that I will actually be getting one on my list...

Bakshi's Coonskin

"Peeping Tom" has been released on Blu-ray in the UK Blu-ray.com has a review with beautiful screen shots

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks