What's new

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist? (1 Viewer)

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
The cacophony of titles stretches forever. Wilder, Frankenheimer, Leone, Allen.Here's what I'd like.Moby Dick (1956). This calls to me. Its appearance, given its budget and epic scope, is not befitting a film of its stature. This was Huston’s most difficult production and a part of me demands better. Most likely, the elements are in disarray and I’m not sure where the rights stand.The Alamo (1960). The Duke’s baby, a labor of love, the breadth of compositions, the steely acumen of action scenes, the cast, the score. Dimitri Tiomkin is another star in the film. What is the status of Robert Harris’ restoration? I’ve heard rumors but nothing more.Exodus (1960). Otto Preminger, Ernest Gold, this is Hollywood. TT always likes a surprise. This is a film many missed.Elmer Gantry (1960). Burt Lancaster, Jean Simmons, Arthur Kennedy, Shirley Jones. A seminal piece of the early 60’s, the acting is beyond compare.Witness for the Prosecution (1958). The other courtroom movie. Lumet and Preminger seem to have left it behind. This continues to shine. Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, Charles Laughton, Elsa Lanchester, John Williams, Una O’Connor. Wilder deserves the treatment along with King, Sidney, and other mainstays.The Train (1964). Frankenheimer, Lancaster, Scofield. A mid-60’s highlight lost under the afterglow of Manchurian (1962) and Seconds (1966). The adversity and atmosphere are unmatched. WWII, Nazis, the French Underground. A watershed in action filmmaking.In the Heat of the Night (1967). A film I’ve been waiting for. Steiger, Poitier, Oates. A crucial piece of 60’s cinema. Oscar winner, a crossroads for the formula, this should happen. With a notable score by Jones, this is tailor-made for TT.
Tom Jones (1963). Tony Richaradson, Albert Finney, Susannah York. THE sumptuous lark of its era. Best Picture, hugely popular, a piece of history. This deserves a showcase. And so does Addison.
Marty (1955). With the death of Borgnine, this needs to happen. Period.
The Man with the Golden Arm (1955). Frank Sinatra, Eleanor Parker, Kim Novak, Arnold Stang. Preminger’s escalation against the censors. A hallmark showing drug addiction to 50’s audiences, this still resonates. Saul Bass, Elmer Bernstein, Ben Hecht. A landmark of risky filmmaking.
The Miracle Worker (1962). Anne Bancroft, Patty Duke. A battle of wills fought with force and frenzy. A tour-de-force and the arrival of Penn as a man with a vision.
A Shot in the Dark (1964). This may come from MGM. A boxset perhaps? Who’s to say?
Khartoum (1966). Charlton Heston, Laurence Olivier, Richard Johnson, Ralph Richardson, Alexander Knox, Nigel Green. Widescreen spectacle of the highest order. Cordell matches it. A must for this label.The World of Henry Orient (1964). A favorite of Julie Kirgo. Peter Sellers, Angela Lansbury, Tom Bosley. George Roy Hill, Elmer Bernstein, this is ideal for TT.
More recent films…Phantasm (1979). I’m not sure who owns this. MGM or Anchor Bay? If it is MGM, this spells sellout.
Unforgettable (1996). Film noir, science 'fact', John Dahl. This was loathed at the time. Ray Liotta, Linda Fiorentino, Peter Coyote, Kim Cattrall. Score by Christopher Young. Knowing TT’s penchant for saving forgotten movies, this is another.
Bubba Ho-Tep (2002). Bruce Campbell, Ossie Davis, a film beyond description. Like Mindwarp (1992), one of greatest mash-ups in recent memory. Tyler’s score captures everything.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
BPullen said:
The cacophony of titles stretches forever. Wilder, Frankenheimer, Leone, Allen.Here's what I'd like to see.Moby Dick (1956) calls to me. Its appearance, given its budget and epic scope, is not befitting a film of its stature. This was Huston’s most difficult production and a part of me demands better. Most likely, the elements are in disarray and I’m not sure where the rights stand.The Alamo (1960). The Duke’s baby, a labor of love, the breadth of compositions, the steely acumen of action scenes, the cast, the score. Dimitri Tiomkin is another star in the film. What is the status of Robert Harris’ restoration? I’ve heard rumors but nothing more.
Answered in another thread. Basically, the folks at MGM don't wanna foot the bill to properly restore it. Not trying to speak for him, but I think Mr. Harris has kinda given up hope that it will ever get financed.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Yorkshire said:
Give us a clue as to the titles you'll be releasing.

Go on, you know you want to!

:D

Steve W
Of course, I'm probably in the minority saying this Yorkshire, but I reallly don't want to know what's coming as far off as the fourth quarter of 2014, or for that matter Q3, or Q2, or even Q1. Lately, it seems like almost every label's announcements - not just Twilight Times's - are getting projected further and further out. Any day now, I half expect some label to start talking up its Q4 2015 or Q1 2016 lineup with a completely straight face. Uhm, yeah... :unsure:

The thing is, TT has exhibited remarkable film history savvy, wildly eclectic taste, and even some brassy cheek in its catalogue quest to date. I've come to trust that funky 'different drummer' POV, and see no reason to expect anything less from their MGM/UA acquisitions...including their composer choices for IST showcase. As long as the quality of goods is there, enough of us will be with them on this unpredictable ride. So tease us if they must, but gee, I hope they don't lose their capacity to surprise...baffle...repudiate...and even infuriate via announcements too far into the future.

Actually, I liked Mr. Epstein's little name-that-TT-title game a few weeks ago. Since this MGM deal is virgin turf, how about a similar guessing game for TT's 1st MGM/UA release?

And make it head-banging hard. ;)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
While I'm sure many great MGM-owned titles will be released by TT, let's not forget that Criterion and Shout Factory still have MGM titles in their pipelines as well, so it's reasonable to assume that some of the wish-lists posted here will be coming from those avenues.

I know that Criterion has formally hinted via newsletter drawing a release for Scanners, and the following handful are strongly rumored (though many of these rumors are now years old):

The BroodBurn!Europa EuropaThe French Lieutenant's WomanThe Long GoodbyeKing of HeartsMy Beautiful LaundretteRed RiverRomaSatyriconThief

Giovanni DN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Giovanni Di Natale
To Twilight Time:

Please release following five titles, and I'll be your best friend. I promise!

The Train

Thunderbolt & Lightfoot

Mississippi Burning

The Long Goodbye

In the Heat of the Night

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
ROclockCK said:
Of course, I'm probably in the minority saying this Yorkshire, but I reallly don't want to know what's coming as far off as the fourth quarter of 2014, or for that matter Q3, or Q2, or even Q1. Lately, it seems like almost every label's announcements - not just Twilight Times's - are getting projected further and further out. Any day now, I half expect some label to start talking up its Q4 2015 or Q1 2016 lineup with a completely straight face. Uhm, yeah... :unsure:
Actually, you're right.

In France A Matter of Life and Death has been pre-announced since August of last year, and is coming in August of this year at the earliest, and it's killing me.

I've Googled * it so many times the results now start with "It's you again Steve, isn't it".

If TT actually announced their release for the next 18 months up front I'd probably have a heart attack waiting for a dozen of them.

Steve W

* Other search engines are available which don't avoid paying UK tax in quite such an evil way, but frankly they're probably not as good.

SW

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Brandon Conway said:
While I'm sure many great MGM-owned titles will be released by TT, let's not forget that Criterion and Shout Factory still have MGM titles in their pipelines as well, so it's reasonable to assume that some of the wish-lists posted here will be coming from those avenues.
I wish the missing Wilders would go to Criterion. Actually, most of the UA stuff, which are the crown jewels of MGM's holdings. Too bad they got relegated to such a mess of a studio as they were unquestioningly my favorite studio of the 60's.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Yorkshire said:
In France A Matter of Life and Death has been pre-announced since August of last year, and is coming in August of this year at the earliest, and it's killing me.

I've Googled * it so many times the results now start with "It's you again Steve, isn't it".
:lol: Sounds like me with Primer...Run Silent, Run Deep...Fantastic Voyage...the Corman/Poe catalogue...or Stefano's original Outer Limits TV series.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I'm not sure which of the TT threads to pose this question in, but since Mr. Redman replied here recently, it seems as good a place as any other.Is there some place where the pre-order dates are listed?I've seen people mention 'about 25 days before' or 'usually four weeks before' the release date. But to me, I don't understand why TT doesn't publish the more important date.Yes, I understand that dates can change, but then published schedules can be modified accordingly.On their FB page there is a nice list of their titles, including announced future titles. It would be helpful if they included when these are available for ordering. I don't see a reason to keep this a secretDavid

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I would love MGM's 1984 "THE BOUNTY" with Mel Gibson, Anthony Hopkins, Daniel Day-Lewis, Liam Neeson, etc., etc............

e4uN50CIJb.jpg

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
In regards the horror/cult MGM titles, I think Shout! Factory may already have dibs on many of them so I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't many that show up with TT. Personally I'd prefer if they let SF have those titles and focus on the general UA classics that SF is more likely to pass up, particularly of the 50s and 60s.
David Weicker said:
I'm not sure which of the TT threads to pose this question in, but since Mr. Redman replied here recently, it seems as good a place as any other.Is there some place where the pre-order dates are listed?
There's really not set time or date. They usually let people know only a day ahead of time if that. The best option is to sign up for the SAE newsletter which always sends an email the same day the preorders go online. Otherwise just keep your eyes open and check the forums and SAE website periodically.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Giovanni DN said:
To Twilight Time:

Please release following five titles, and I'll be your best friend. I promise!

The Train

Thunderbolt & Lightfoot

Mississippi Burning

The Long Goodbye

In the Heat of the Night
Giovanni,

Apparently Criterion is going to release THUNDERBOLT & LIGHTFOOT. Michael Cimino mentioned this on Twitter not too long ago.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I have to second THE TRAIN and would love to see MIAMI BLUES and WOMEN IN LOVE, all of which got non-anamorphic DVD transfers from MGM. And ROLLERBALL! I can't believe they never bothered to make a decent DVD out of that title not even when they released the godawful remake. Still keeping my fingers crossed about Fox's RAVENOUS (which makes more sense as a Halloween title than MINDWARP, but hey...). I've been happy with what I've received from TT (and was one of the lucky ones who nabbed a copy of CHRISTINE) and hope you guys keep up the great work!

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Brandon Conway said:
I know that Criterion has formally hinted via newsletter drawing a release for Scanners, and the following handful are strongly rumored (though many of these rumors are now years old):

The Brood
Janus films has the US rights to SCANNERS and THE BROOD as MGM didn't renew their deal with the films' owner, so these two are definitely coming from Criterion.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Derrick King said:
Janus films has the US rights to SCANNERS and THE BROOD as MGM didn't renew their deal with the films' owner, so these two are definitely coming from Criterion.
Good to know. Didn't realize MGM's rights had lapsed.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
If Twilight Time wanted to dip its toe in the independent world they could always call Peter Bogdanovich and ask him what he's got on Orson Welles' THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND (1970). Unless I'm mistaken the film is finished and a transfer was done. A number of collectors would pay the TT rates to see that, including me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks