What's new

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist? (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I'll vote for the following:

Portrait of Jennie
I'll Be Seeing You
Since You Went Away
Judgement at Nuremberg
The Children's Hour
Marty
The Little Foxes
Exodus
Taras Bulba
Inherit the Wind
The Vikings
Khartoum

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Matt Hough said:
It came out on an MGM MOD a couple of years ago (distributed by Fox) that I reviewed on this site. When did Warners get it?
Thought it was WB through one of the Turner purchases. I could be wrong and it is in fact MGM. If so, perhaps through Twilight Time we'll get a blu ray release!

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
My favorites out of the "current MGM" library would be:

ONE TWO THREE
THEATRE OF BLOOD
HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING
THE ALAMO
BANANAS
THE BEST MAN
BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ
BLACK TUESDAY
CANNON FOR CORDOBA
COMEDY OF TERRORS
THE COTTON CLUB
CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
DEATH RIDES A HORSE
DEMENTIA 13
DUEL AT DIABLO
EYE OF THE NEEDLE
THE FORTUNE COOKIE
A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM
HAWAII
THE LOVED ONE
MARTY
THE PACKAGE
THE PARTY
PATTERNS
THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN
RETURN OF A MAN CALLED HORSE
RUNAWAY TRAIN
THE SATAN BUG
SAYONARA
THE SCREAMING SKULL
A SHOT IN THE DARK
STRANGE INVADERS
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL GUNFIGHTER
THE VIKINGS
WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

And on the TV front:

ONE STEP BEYOND (The original series)
THE ADDAMS FAMILY
GREEN ACRES

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
ROclockCK said:
My wish for TT? Please don't touch anything in the MGM/UA library unless it's been properly remastered for HD. MGM's legacy on DVD has become a disappointing blur of incorrect 1.66:1 aspect ratio transfers...letterboxed no less! Some great titles in that library, but unfortunately last seen from MGM on DVD in pretty dicey form.

I mean, did MGM suddenly find a wad of capital to restore and remaster? :ph34r:
I agree, unless either MGM or TT are able to remaster into HD, I think the number of titles that TT would even be able to use from MGM is pretty modest.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Judgment at Nuremberg
Witness for the Prosecution
Attack!
A Child is Waiting
City of Hope
The Bachelor Party
Last Embrace
Ladybug Ladybug
12 Angry Men (1997)
The Macomber Affair
The Naked Street (1955)
Nightmare (1956)
Wicked Woman (1953)
Witness to Murder (1954)
The Long Wait (1954)
Birdman of AlcatrazBound For GloryThe Bridge at RemagenAlice's RestaurantAvanti!DarlingThe Devil's BrigadeElmer GantryThe EntertainerEquusExodusI Want to Live
ImagesInherit the WindJunior BonnerThe Miracle WorkerOn the BeachThe Pope of Greenwich VillageSeparate TablesCarnal KnowledgePrizzi's HonorRunaway TrainThey Shoot Horses, Don't They?Tom JonesMoby Dick

and the following Spaghetti Westerns:

-The Hills Run Red (1966)-Navajo Joe (1966)-A Minute to Pray, A Second to Die (1968)-Sabata (1969)-The Ugly Ones (1967)-Man of the East (1972)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Mark Pytel said:
Here are some of the titles that I would love for TT to release

Khartoum 2:76 aspect ratio master showing on MGM HD
Thief
Exodus
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot
Rollerball
On the Beach
Judgement at Nuremberg
Moby Dick
Great Train Robbery
Cuba
The Train
Valdez is Coming
Yankee Zephyr

I'd say that's a good start ;)
Plus I beleive that all of those already have HD masters that are showing or have shown on MGM HD. Plus these would be GREAT upgrades as all of the mentioned discs previously had non-anamorphic dvd's...or in the case of Yankee Zephyr..no release at all!
Since this thread's question relates to MGM, it's kind of difficult because on both a price and extras front at least, I would rather see a Criterion release. However, if there is one MGM film that I imagine Criterion would not go for but Twilight Time might that I would buy in a heartbeat, it's Khartoum. So please, let it be so!

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
JoHud said:
I agree, unless either MGM or TT are able to remaster into HD, it think the number of titles that TT would even be able to use from MGM is pretty modest.
When I see the $cope of some of the titles on these lists, especially the large format roadshows, I have difficulty believing that even a fraction of them have received the needed level of re$toration and rema$tering. However worthy or hotly anticipated most of that stuff might be, it strikes me as unrealistic to think that chronic cash-strapped MGM has done much with them to date. Gladly be proven wrong there, but what is reaching us from MGM via their own label continues to give me some 'heebie-jeebies' (The Great Escape anyone?).

After TT's stellar run delivering one superb remaster after another from both Fox and Sony (especially the latter, with their many state-of-the-art 4k jobs), I want to see that same qualitative standard maintained with MGM too. I mean, at this late date in the Blu-ray format, is it truly enough just to get fave catalogue titles out there, warts and all (cf. Olive's maddeningly inconsistent output)? I, for one, am prepared to wait as long as it takes for MGM to bring these titles fully up to spec, and trust TT won't be running with any so-so or iffy product until the home studio has done precisely that.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I could list plenty of titles, but I'm going to focus on just one MGM title because it seems to be largely ignored or unheard of by many (though to his credit, Dick posted it in his list on the previous page):

The Offence

A very grim and gritty 1972 Sidney Lumet/Sean Connery classic, this is one of those movies that really stays with you long after watching it. I think Connery's performance is fantastic, especially coming right off the glamorous Bond movies and into the dour tone, both in terms of storyline and visual atmosphere, that this movie holds.

I really do think this movie has Twilight Time written all over it, and the Lumet/Connery name would help sell quite a few copies, even as a blind buy. Without TT's help, I can guarantee it will never be releaed on BD (only released on DVD in 2008), and the DVD isn't all that great.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
THE ALAMO roadshow versionGIRLS TOWN 1959THE MINOTAUR 1960DEMENTIA 13 with the D-13 test sequence restored (MGM has it in their vaults)BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE (full length, letterboxed, plus international scene)THIEF OF BAGHDAD 1961MORGAN THE PIRATETHE GOLDEN ARROW 1962ROLLERBALL 1975LIGHT FANTASTIC 1964LADYBUG, LADYBUGBEYOND THE TIME BARRIER (slightly longer Euro version)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
wasn't aware that Twilight Time had a distribution agreement with MGM, thought it was only with Sony and Fox,

Great list of titles thought this thread, but if we were to go with what we know, look for the Woody Allen titles to be released by MGM via Fox

at this point pretty much most of the Horror / Cult / Exploitation films will probably end up being released by Shout / Scream

high profile titles might find there way getting a Criterion release, but that is dependent on the condition of the elements, I mean every month that the new releases are announced I keep waiting to see the words Red River, which even Criterion hinted at, but that has yet to materialize.

the ones I could see Criterion possibly being interested in

Thief (Mann)
Judgment at Nuremberg (Kramer)
Women In Love ( Russell)
Inherit the Wind (Kramer)
In the Heat of the Night (Jewison)
Coming Home (Ashby)
The Woman in the Window (Lang) although after TT great release of The Big Heat who knows

The Pink Panther series is supposedly being prepped for a "big" box set probably their entry into the Holiday market??

I thought CBS had both of the Richard Harris Man called horse titles, I know the first one is sitting on my shelf.

just my thought, but I would hope that they could at least start on some award winning titles, Tom Jones, Marty, In the Heat of the Night, would be a start!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
All Blu Ray
WOMEN IN LOVE
MIRACLE WORKER
ELMER GANTRY
EXODUS
ON THE BEACH
THE HAPPY ENDING
TOM JONES
THE LANDLORD
DARLING
THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY?
THE LION IN WINTER
BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ
HAWAII
THE PARTY
A SHOT IN THE DARK
BILLY WILDER BOX with ONE TWO THREE/ AVANTI/ KISS ME STUPID/ THE FORTUNE COOKIE/IRMA LA DOUCE /PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES/ WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION
THE VIKINGS
TARAS BULBA
THE CHILDREN'S HOUR

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Private Lives of Sherlock Holmes
In the Head of the Night
Witness for the Prosecution
Dementia 13 would be great
As long as the extras on the DVDs were ported over Id go for anything. I wonder if the 3000 units will apply for this deal with MGM

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
All I want to see (for now) is the TV show East Side, West Side (there may be others in the future, but that's it).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Paul Rossen said:
Thought it was WB through one of the Turner purchases. I could be wrong and it is in fact MGM. If so, perhaps through Twilight Time we'll get a blu ray release!
It was a UA a release and never part of the final Turner purchase, which ended up at Warner's. .

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
dana martin said:
wasn't aware that Twilight Time had a distribution agreement with MGM, thought it was only with Sony and Fox,
That's what I thought too. I don't understand this thread.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT---KHARTOUM----HAWAII----MISSISSIPPI BURNING----EQUUS.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robin9 said:
That's what I thought too. I don't understand this thread.
If you go back to the initial post in this thread, you'll see that the Twilight Time owners hinted that an announcement about a possible deal with MGM was imminent. That's why folks are speculating what they'd want IF such a deal becomes a reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks