What's new

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist? (1 Viewer)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Lromero1396 said:
So was Taras Bulba a 4-track stereo release? I thought UA had gone mono on 35mm productions at that point. Also, it's available on BD in Australia? How is that release? If you have it, that is.
The Australian Taras Bulba BD is mono, although is certainly seems like the MGM DVD was in stereo, as I recall. I don't have it anymore, I gave it away after I got the BD.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Lromero1396 said:
I'd like to see Twilight Time tap into Mario Nascimbene's work, like Solomon and Sheba, The Vikings, Sons and Lovers, and perhaps Esther and the King (even though the last two titles will never make it to high def I'm certain).
Oh and thanks for the info on the Australian BD, Ed. I'll definitely import that once I get a region free player, which hopefully will be soon.
What's sad about them neglecting ESTHER AND THE KING is that a recent very nice looking German DVD was released and indicates that a really lovely print does exist of the film. SONS AND LOVERS would be wonderful, too, as would FRANCIS OF ASSISI, which after a recent viewing I've come to really appreciate. Take a look at one of the region free Oppo BD players, I have one and just love it. There are several ebay companies who specialize in them.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
John Hermes said:
The Australian Taras Bulba BD is mono, although is certainly seems like the MGM DVD was in stereo, as I recall. I don't have it anymore, I gave it away after I got the BD.
AFAIK, the DVD was also mono. But I've never owned it, so I can't confirm.
Ed Lachmann said:
What's sad about them neglecting ESTHER AND THE KING is that a recent very nice looking German DVD was released and indicates that a really lovely print does exist of the film. SONS AND LOVERS would be wonderful, too, as would FRANCIS OF ASSISI, which after a recent viewing I've come to really appreciate. Take a look at one of the region free Oppo BD players, I have one and just love it. There are several ebay companies who specialize in them.
Any domestic BD of Esther and the King could be struck from that master, if it is an HD scan. Nick Redman and his team would also have to dig through the Fox vaults to find the music tracks on any of the three aforementioned titles, since AFAIK the scores have never made it to CD. The reason I'm doubtful of any release of Sons and Lovers by TT is because Fox released a MOD disc of it. Even though it is (I believe) in anamorphic widescreen, an HD release of this Jack Cardiff film would be welcome.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Lromero1396 said:
AFAIK, the DVD was also mono. But I've never owned it, so I can't confirm.
Reviews say stereo from a mono track. Amazon says stereo also.

donidarko

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Donnie
Shampoo (1975, Columbia)Coming Home (1978, UA)Foxes (1980, UA)The Killing of Sister George (1969, UA)Semi-Tough (1977, UA)An Unmarried Woman (1978, 20th Fox)Harry & Tonto (1974, 20th Fox)Interiors (1978, UA)Hardcore (1979, Columbia)Only When I Laugh (1981, Columbia)Modern Romance (1981, Columbia)9 To 5 (1980, 20th Fox)

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
The Obsession BD from Arrow looks great, and there are numerous extras, inc. a copy of the shooting script. Expensive, but worth the $.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Jobla said:
True, but the Arrow disc doesn't present Bernard Hermann's great score on an isolated audio track. That is what I would like from Twilight Time, a domestic Blu-ray with Herrmann's score isolated.
Ah, but does the isolated music track still exist? I can't help but think that if it did it would have been released on CD by now. Maybe the album tracks are all that's left.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I second that Hound of the Baskervilles needs to come out! Also really want a blu of Crichton's Great Train Robbery and Sean Connery's Meteor. All of these had shoddy non-anamorphic releases and need a proper release.
Also really want Race for the Yankee Zephyr which has never been released in the USA but an HD print has shown on MGM HD in beautiful scope!
Convoy..also never properly released and shown in HD on MGM HD and Netflix.
The Killer Elite..while has a good French Bluray..I'd much rather get a USA release so that more can enjoy it.
Anything John Frankenheimer..so really want The Train, Birdman of Alcatraz. Also would want Holcroft Covenant, but I have yet to see it in 16:9 or HD anywhere so I'm assuming a new master does not exist.
My Dream titles are Hallelujah Trail in 2:76 ratio and Alamo Roadshow cut but I know that Hallelujah and Alamo have yet to be restored sadly.
Lots of Stanley Kramer such as On the Beach, inherit the Wind, The Defiant Ones, and Judgement and Nuermburg all need better releases.
Mr. Mom is a guilty pleasure that has never had 16;9 in USA but has been on MGM HD.
For Blaxploitation I'd love to get I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, Coffy, Cotton Comes to Harlem, and Hammer. These have all been shown in HD on MGM HD.
Fuzz and Gator for as I am a huge Burt fan and Gator is a scophttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/324582-your-twilight-timemgm-wishlist/page-16e movie that was never released properly here in USA. needs a region 1 release!
Yours Mine and Ours is a great comedy that has never gotten dvd respect..here in the usa. Has a proper HD master shown on MGM HD.
Audrey Rose
And finally for my Chuck Norris guilty pleasures...An Eye for an Eye and Delta Force 2 have never been widescreen in USA and both have widescreen masters on other region dvd's and have been shown in HD.

I know I listed a ton of titles, but I would honestly purchase all of them as the past dvd releases left a lot to be desired. I say if the new master exists and is just sitting there...why NOT release it. This is what Twilight Time does best. Look at the wonderful Egyptian release. Fox had TWO masters just waiting to be used. I have most of Twilight's releases and am more than excited for what lies ahead. With all of the wonderful releases coming from all the various companies including Twilight it truly is a great time to be a classic film lover!
Sayonara
A Pocket Full of Miracles and Hole in the Head for Frank Capra scope films. Those had shoddy 4x3 widescreen dvd's and need something better!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Billy Batson said:
Ah, but does the isolated music track still exist? I can't help but think that if it did it would have been released on CD by now. Maybe the album tracks are all that's left.
The old Pioneer Special Edition laserdisc had an isolated score track, so yes it does exist.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Mark Pytel said:
Yours Mine and Ours is a great comedy that has never gotten dvd respect..here in the usa. Has a proper HD master shown on MGM HD.
I would LOVE a blu of Yours Mine and Ours. Hell, I'd even take a decent anamorphic dvd.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
upload_2017-9-18_14-8-37.png
upload_2017-9-18_14-8-5.png
upload_2017-9-18_14-8-27.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members