1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Didier R, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Bright Lights Big City from Twilight Time. It deserves their care.

2. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

In thinking more on the subject, I left out several great movies from UA, Khartoum (1966), Solomon and Sheba (1959), Judgement at Nuremberg (1961), The Russians are Coming The Russians are Coming!, Pocketful of Miracles (1961), Irma La Douce (1963), The Party (1968), Man of La Mancha (1972)

Khartoum was on MGM HD several years ago and has been beautifully remastered and I think it would make an excellent Blu-ray release. The stereo sound is excellent for its age. The Russians are Coming seems to be another remaster that has been shown. Solomon and Sheba is a first rate biblical epic (in my opinion) and also has a great stereo soundtrack. Man of La Mancha has also been shown in HD and its transfer is excellent, as is the stereo soundtrack. Alexander the Great also has surviving stereo tracks that are quite good.

So, my list of wants is as follows:

Alexander the Great (1956)Solomon and Sheba (1959)Exodus (1960)Judgement at Nuremberg (1961)Pocketful of Miracles (1961)Irma La Douce (1963)The Hallelujah Trail (1965)Hawaii (1966)The Russians are Coming The Russians are Coming! (1966)Khartoum (1966)The Party (1968)Man of La Mancha (1972)Meteor (1979)The Earthling (1980)Electric Dreams (1984)Yentl (1983)The Birdcage (1996)

3. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    Glenn Lovell's book about John Sturges says the rights to Hour Of The Gun passed to MGM/UA in 1992, presumably from Mirisch and Sturges. If that is correct, then this is the film more than any other I'd like Twilight Time to release on Blu-ray.

There is already an Australian BRD which I haven't seen.

davidHartzog likes this.
  4. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Well-Known Member

Keith Cobby
    I particularly want the large format films as I think they look best on blu-ray. Top of my list would therefore be Khartoum, Exodus, The Hallelujah Trail.

5. John Hermes

John Hermes Well-Known Member

John Hermes
    The Australian BD is pretty nice. It could be a little cleaner as far as debris. It has the kind of opticals where they don't cut back to the original footage until the end of the shot, so there are some sections with longer dupes than I would like. I doubt that would change with a TT release. I prefer opticals where it pops out of the dupe as soon as it is completed, even if you can see the point of change. Long dupe sections are rather annoying to me.

Lromero1396 and Robin9 like this.
  6. Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Khartoum is coming from Twilight Time on January 21.

7. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    Very good news. Very good news indeed.

In his biography of David Lean, Kevin Brownlow writes that Freddie Young was photographing Khartoum when David Lean sent him a distress call from Doctor Zhivago. Apparently Freddie Young left the production to rejoin Lean. I hope Julie Kirgo's essay deals with this and explains which scenes were shot by which cinematographer.

8. Didier R

Didier R Well-Known Member

Khartoum
    Zulu
    Crimes and Misdemeanors
    Thunderbolt & Lightfoot

!!!

Brilliant!

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Let's hope Zulu is better than the poor UK edition. ( Cue certain people entering the thread and saying Zulu looks great )

10. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Here is the full January/February schedule:
    KHARTOUM (1966) BLU-RAY - Jan 21st (from the 65 mm elements)

ZULU (1963) BLU-RAY - Jan 22nd (on the 50th anniversary of the film's premiere, and the 135th anniversary of the battle of Rorke's Drift)

TITUS (1999) BLU-RAY - Jan 21st

MAN IN THE DARK (1953) 3D - Jan 21st

CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS (1989) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th

THE FRONT (1975) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th

THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT (1974) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th

THE BLUE MAX (1966) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th

THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY (1956) - Feb 11th

It looks like we will be seeing TT's first 3-D Blu-ray.

BPullen likes this.
  11. Jobla

Jobla Well-Known Member

I wonder if MAN IN THE DARK will include a 2-D version as well? I'd only buy it if that were the case.

12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I'm not speaking for Twilight Time, of course, but I can't imagine that both 2D and 3D won't be in the package. Classic 3D is a very niche market, so trying to sell 3,000 of these only in 3D would be commercial suicide.

13. revgen

revgen Well-Known Member

Dan
    One film (released by UA) that I'd like to see is Witness to Murder (1954), a rare film noir starring Barbara Stanwyck as a widow who witnesses her neighbor accross the street murder a woman through her window. Her neighbor, played devilishly by british actor George Sanders, manages to convince everybody except one police sergeant (Gary Merrill) who likes her that Stanwyck is crazy and should be commited to an asylum. If the plot sounds a little like Rear Window (1954), keep in mind that Witness to Murder (1954) was released 6 months before Rear Window was. No offense to Jimmy Stewart, but Stanwyck simply gives a more dynamic performance as the lead in this one.

[​IMG]

davidHartzog and JoHud like this.
  14. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Well-Known Member

Definitely on board for Man in the Dark and Khartoum.

I have the UK-release of Zulu and thought it was quite good - was there some problem?

15. John Hermes

John Hermes Well-Known Member

John Hermes
    Some people thought there was too much DNR (smoothness, lack of grain). The luminosity and color on the disc are pretty fabulous though.

16. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I welcomed the UK Blu-ray of Zulu because it is head and shoulders above every DVD release of the film. I'm looking forward to comparing it to the TT release.

17. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Well-Known Member

I agree - thought the UK disc's colours were fabulous and of course the aspect ratio was much improved over the DVD.
    I'm curious to see what TT can do better.

18. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    There was more to it than just DNR.

They did several automated ( rather than manual ) dust busting and scratch removal passes, this causes issues, some DNR, some edge enhancement, i wouldn't call Zulu a good blu ray release, i think Twilight Time will re-use the UK transfer, if they redid it with a brand new 4K scan then i think it could look much better, i'm not holding my breath and in the meantime the arguments about the original release will continue with some being very satisfied and others being not so happy.

19. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    3D Blu spec requires a 2D version be included, either on the same disc or an extra disc.

20. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Premium
    Supporter

Steve
    I've owned the UK version of Zulu for a couple of years, and have watched it twice. Yes, there's use of DNR. But no, it's not as objectionable as some have claimed in response to its screen caps. What saved this presentation - in motion - was its overall stable and (from best recall) faithful colour reproduction. Plus - and this should never be underestimated - Baker and Endfield's colonial war epic is just such fine filmmaking I'm always too engaged with the characters and story to fixate on minutiae video specs...I mean, with something as epic, fast moving, and gripping as this, who is actually counting pixels or measuring grain dispersion...really??? In absolute terms, my left brain tells me the UK Blu-ray could have - and should have - looked even better, especially from a 65mm source, but my right brain wasn't complaining. Overall, what was done with it for that Blu-ray wasn't anywhere near as hideous as a vocal fringe still seems to believe. I've seen much, much worse.

TT's real coup with this baby though has little to do with the video...it's their showcase and preservation of John Barry's landmark score in isolated form. Zulu happened to be graced by one of the best scores ever composed for a motion picture...as impressive in terms of dramatic connective tissue as it was creative in Barry's seamless combination of indigenous tribal music with modern orchestral fanfare. The hybrid effect is frequently breathtaking, such as this excerpt from the first Zulu appearance and attack:

As well as some more samples in this thoughtful John Barry commemoration video:

Heck, I'd watch dupe slides of Zulu with that masterwork playing in the background.

Richard--W and BPullen like this.