What's new

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
MCCLOUD said:
What about the 1965 MGM John Sturges film The Satan Bug? Is there any chance that Twilight Time could release this on Blu-Ray? I would love to get this movie on Blu-Ray! The MOD DVD is not good. I would be happy with just a good anamorphic DVD release if they wouldn't want to do Blu-Ray. Anyone have any information about whether there are any plans by Twilight , MGMt, or some other company like Criterion or Shout to release The Satan Bug on a good Blu-Ray or a good anamorphic widescreen DVD or MOD?

Thanks!

Robert
I reviewed that MGM MOD of The Satan Bug. As I recall, it was anamorphic, but the video had been derived from a laserdisc master that was woefully pale and loaded with interlaced artifacts. It was barely watchable but I thought a step up from the laserdisc.

I just looked the review up, and I recalled correctly. The review can be found here.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Even though GREAT ESCAPE and MAGNIFIENT SEVEN were classics,I can't believe how bad HALLELUJAH TRAIL and SATAN BUG turned out. Sorry, but neither film would be missed by me on bluray..

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I liked Satan Bug, but there are plenty of other films more deserving of bluray treatment.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Rudolph Mate's film noir masterpiece D.O.A. (United Artists, 1950) is in need of a hi-def scan. The extensive nighttime location photography in San Francisco would be an experience to experience on blu-ray. A savvy commentary would also be in order.

DOA-1950-UA-one.jpg

DOA-1950-UA-insert.jpg

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Lewis Gilbert's The Seventh Dawn, with William Holden at his best. A sadly neglected, if not prophetic film set in 60s SE Asia.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Moe Dickstein said:
It seems the owners have zero interest in allowing any sort of release.
That was the case with The Wayward Bus too I believe. But I guess Steinbeck's estate finally relented, or at least looked the other way when Fox allowed TT to run with their limited edition Blu-ray. Perhaps the paltry 3000 number simply flew under their legal radar.

So the situation with some of these chronic holdouts can change. I mean, at this late date in the useful life of the celluloid in their possession, would any owner of a previously MIA property flatly refuse some kind of limited, collector-targeted HD showcase? If nothing else, to rekindle interest in the title? Or perhaps just film posterity?

I bet many of these holdouts simply need to hear an enthusiastic and convincing 'meta' pitch. ;)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
You've got to ask Bob Furmanek for the story, because I don't recall the specifics, but the owner of that one is like some sort of company that doesn't really do films or has no interest in a different sense than what you're talking about, it's like they acquired the film in a poker game and they own a series of lube shops (that's not it but its not with a studio or someone against the release for creative reasons)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'd like to see MGM/George Pal's Time Machine, and Tom Thumb released on Bluray by Twilight Time . Also some of the Columbia exploitation films like the Bill Haley and "Twist" Movies, and the Mantle and Maris film "Safe At Home" . Lastly , 30 Foot Bride Of Candy Rock , Lou Costello's final screen perfomance .

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
LouA said:
I'd like to see MGM/George Pal's Time Machine, and Tom Thumb released on Bluray by Twilight Time . Also some of the Columbia exploitation films like the Bill Haley and "Twist" Movies, and the Mantle and Maris film "Safe At Home" . Lastly , 30 Foot Bride Of Candy Rock , Lou Costello's final screen perfomance .
The Time Machine and Tom Thumb are part of the MGM legacy that Warner Bros. controls, and I can't see them offering either to Twilight Time. However, both would be prime candidates for Warners' own Warner Archive Blu-ray series. I wish both would happen, particularly the former.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Richard--W said:
Rudolph Mate's film noir masterpiece D.O.A. (United Artists, 1950) is in need of a hi-def scan. The extensive nighttime location photography in San Francisco would be an experience to experience on blu-ray. A savvy commentary would also be in order.

attachicon.gif
DOA-1950-UA-one.jpg

attachicon.gif
DOA-1950-UA-insert.jpg
Isn't that film public domain? If so, I would think that something like the Film Noir Foundation would be the only real bet.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I would really enjoy if Twilight released Hallelujah Trail. The DVD was horrible and need a good transfer and release.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
ahollis said:
I would really enjoy if Twilight released Hallelujah Trail. The DVD was horrible and need a good transfer and release.

I would only be interested if it was the full 2.76 Ultra Panavision AR like Mad World.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks