The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Frankenstein
Night of the Living Dead
The Shining
The Haunting-original
The Omen

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
First I must say that I've LOVED your friend's series of books. They make for perfect coffee table browsing at the house... now I need to actually start buying the, I always leaf through them in book stores, and their not cheap, but some day I'll own them.

My Top 10 Horror Films (encompassing every itsy bitsy sub-genre):
01. Psycho (1960, dir. Alfred Hitchcock)
A perfect horror movie that gets everything right from characters to style and impact.

02. Mulholland Dr. (2001, dir. David Lynch)
Haunting imagery, unbearable tension and masterful directing all create a truly horrifying mystery.

03. The Shining (1980, dir. Stanley Kubrick)
The best pure horror film (in the sense most identify the genre) ever made.

04. The Evil Dead (1981, dir. Sam Raimi)
The only part of the series I like, and it’s the most fun horror movie out there with its gore and “stingers”. Probably my most-watched horror movie.

05. Jacob’s Ladder (1990, dir. Adrian Lyne)
Every frame in the film is perfectly composed and the story so layered and frightening in its build, with the dream and death theme never having been better explored.

06. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974, dir. Tobe Hooper)
The grittiness from the filmmakers and pure fear from the actors create completely original scares.

07. Don’t Look Now (1973, dir. Nicolas Roeg)
Very comparable to (though it came before) Mulholland Dr. and Jacob’s Ladder in its brilliant combination of gorgeous yet haunting style with complex and frightening storytelling.

08. Dawn of the Dead (1978, dir. George A. Romero)
Not only the greatest zombie film ever, but some of the wildest gore, music and

09. Rosemary’s Baby (1968, dir. Roman Polanski)
A masterpiece in subtlety and effective horror and a perfect film in every regard.

10. Halloween (1978, dir. John Carpenter)
The originator (along with Psycho) of what most people associate a horror film to be is great for scares and fun.

BONUS!!! - 14 More!:
11. The Exorcist (1973, dir. William Friedkin)
Be it the original cut of the re-released version, few films capture realistic scares like this film, where cinematic style, storytelling and its overall theme all deliver the terror.

12. The Blair Witch Project (1999, dir. Eduardo Sanchez and Daniel Myrick)
Few modern films attain the intensity and engrain the fear of the unknown that this (now criminally under-appreciated) film does through its unnerving atmosphere and filming method.

13. Night of the Living Dead (1968, dir. George A. Romero)
Like the sequel Dawn of the Dead, the message is just as powerful as the zombies are both fun and surreal, but the no-budget qualities keep its uneasy effect constant.

14. Carrie (1976, dir. Brian De Palma)
De Palma at his best, horror in all its 70s glory.

15. Spider (2003, dir. David Cronenberg)
Probably on the fringes of “horror”, but every Cronenberg film qualifies, with this being his masterwork in studying the mind and horrors within it.

16. Suspiria (1977, dir. Dario Argento)
The second film about evil witches, after Rosemary’s Baby (neither of which really shows what one predicts witches to be like), to make my list, it’s an exercise in pure style and mood to brilliant lurid effect.

17. Candyman (1992, dir. Bernard Rose)
The use of the urban legend (and an actual urban setting) helps to create one of the best horror films of the 90s that genuinely scares you throughout.

18. Repulsion (1965, dir. Roman Polanski)
More psychological horror, and perfectly executed in its story of paranoia and eventual madness all told through gorgeous black and white photography and very little dialogue. Extra points for the sexual repression theme.

19. Dead Ringers (1988, dir. David Cronenberg)
Prior to Spider, this was Cronenberg's masterpiece, like "Crash" it's a culmination of all his themes - anatomy, merging humans and technology, all to perfect a tone with a mood of great dread and instability creating brutally honest horror.

20. Lost Highway (1997, dir. David Lynch)
I consider Blue Velvet a better film, but less in the horror genre. This film uses the usual Lynchian tactics of frightening imagery and dream-like storytelling, making everything all the more strange and uneasy - so complicated and so scary.

21. Se7en (1995, dir. David Fincher)
Probably the most borderline of the titles on my list (along with Jaws perhaps) in that it is just as much a crime thriller as a horror picture, yet I feel it delivers on its scares and certainly has the great look and atmosphere of any great horror movie.

22. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986, dir. John McNaughton)
Brutal in its realistic portrayal/ study of a serial killer. It doesn't hold back AT ALL which makes it truly scary and I doubt there will ever be another effective film to deal with the subject as this one does.

23. Videodrome (1983, dir. David Cronenberg)
Another great mind-fuck from my favourite Canadian director, with the terrors of the media and technological determinism reinforced through great horror imagery.

24. Peeping Tom (1960, dir. Michael Powell)
Great film focussing on voyeurism gone waaaay too far. Beautiful colour imagery is a perfect companion to 1960s other great horror film (see choice # 01.)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Halloween
JCs The Thing
Re-Animator
The Shining
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2
The Fog
Alien
Jacobs Ladder
Interview With The Vampire

Jaws is one of my all time top 10 favs, but I dont really consider it to be horror.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks