What's new

Your Thoughts?.. Sony S7000 vs. Panasonic RP82 (1 Viewer)

VinnyV

Auditioning
Hey guys,

This is my first post here, been lurking for ages. I'd love to hear the thoughts of everyone here on the following.

I just got a beautiful new home and building my little HT system. I decided on a Sony WEGA 27" FS100.. (no HDTV) and an Onkyo HTS650 system. The final remaining piece to the puzzle was for me to choose a nice DVD player. I've heard great things about the Sony S7000, but have recently heard even better things about the Panasonic RP82. To be honest, video quality is of my primary concern. My main question: Will the RP82 be a huge upgrade from the S7000, taking into consideration that my TV is NOT HDTV and I will not be using the progressive scan capabilities of the RP82?

What do you guys think? I have the opportunity to pickup a S7000 from a friend who almost NEVER used his, mint condition, for $150!

Love to hear what you guys have to say -
Vin

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
I believe you're talking about Sonys first DVD player, right (DVP-7000)? If so, I'd suspect the audio (cd playback) will be much better than that of the RP-82. I would assume the RP-82 to have a much better video picture, but you'd need an HD-TV to take full advantage.

I have the DVP-7000 on a small TV (27") and the picture looks great. The sound hardware is rumored to be from Sony's ES line, so it's a very good CD player. I haven't compared the sound to the RP-82, but did compare it to Sony's N-715, and the 7000 blows it away.

Based on your current setup (small TV, not HD), I'd probably go with the Sony. Also, if you don't already have the RP-82 ordered, you may not be able to find it anyway!

My two cents!
Jim

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
S7000 = no DTS, but otherwise a very fine unit. Definitely worth that price.

RP82 = discontinued, likely not that easy to find.

I'd have to agree, if you don't have an HDTV, the 700 is probably the better choice.

VinnyV

Auditioning
Thanks for the information guys.

I went and purchased the Sony DVP-S7000 for 150 bucks. Going to get the TV setup and hook everything up today.

I'll let you know how it goes -
Vin

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
VinnyV,
check here for some excellent technical info on the 7000. of particular interest will be information on some switches internal to the machine.

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread