What's new

Your thoughts on Illuminations brand cables (1 Viewer)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I have a illuminations v-21 cable that im using for digital coax from my Denon DD/DTS reciever to my Panny Rp-81 DVD. What do you think if this brand?
Should I upgrade to Rhino Premium at the same time I will be upgrading my Componet to Rhino as well. But if my Illum's are just as good I will just stick with them.
Any advise will give many thanks! :b

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Coax is pretty much coax. There 'might' be situations if you're running very long lengths that improved shielding can make a difference because it minimizes noise pickup. So if you're seeing something like intermittent dropouts, get a better shielded cable. Otherwise it's a moot point buying something 'better'.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Stick with the illuminations.

Digital signals are very insenstive to the cable as compared to high-frequency analog (video) signals. While I do push for good video cables for video, any well-made video cable will work for the coaxial-digital connection.

The audio drop-outs that have been reported here have been because people used an audio cable for the coaxial-digital connection. Many audio cables are made with 50 ohm coax, but the coaxial-digital spec calls for 75 ohm coax (aka: a Video cable).

The only reason to upgrade is if there is if you really like the look of the Rhino cables and want a matched set of interconnects. But at ~$45 - these are almost as expensive for the single-conductor as a 3-foot set of the identical stuff bundled as a component cable set. Heck, buy another component cable set and just use 1 conductor for coaxial-digital.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Thanks Bob :emoji_thumbsup: :wink:

I just learn that Illuminations are made by Kimber Kable.I have had that cable for better then 6 years and never knew who made it.I love my Kimber Kable I have running to my front 3 speakers so I WILL stick with that. And I also want to thank you for all the questions you have answerd for my this past weekend. BTW - I am going with Rhino's
componete for both my DSS-TV & dvd-TV .The BEST rhino offers are the same cost ( $109.00 1m ) to Beter Cables 2nd best.So it make more since for me to go with Rhino so that I can get 2 pair + I just like the Rhino better . :b

Regards , Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks