What's new

Your Songs of the Moment? (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
HTF has been a great source for expanding my musical horizons, so in that vein...

What 2 or 3 songs are receiving heavy rotation with you? They don't have to be new or unknown - just whatever is catching your ear.

The two songs I've been listening to often and singing in my head are....

"Here With Me" by Dido - Heard it on last week's ER episode, and it just resonated with me. This is the third song I've heard from her, and I really like all of them. I'm a bit surprised - I know she has a reputation for being bland, but she seems to have this certain kind of song nailed down. This song really just builds into the power chorus, and I'm sucked in. A great love song all around.

"Love's Divine" by Seal - I guess this album was released in the fall, but I just heard the song on the radio last week. Wow. If you like his voice at all, you'll like the song. A love song of sorts, though I'm not sure it's about romantic love. While the song is catchy and has great texture, it's the lyric "Love is what I need to know my name" that sold the song for me.

How about y'all?

Clem

Agent
Hmmmm. This is a bit strange for me. Both of these are covers. Don't usally like too many covers but these both have found a cord.

First Cut Is The Deepest - Sheryl Crow. Something about her voice and the way she does this song.

Big Yellow Taxi - Counting Crows. I really like this version. I like the funk plus I think that Vanessa Carlton & Adam Duritz sound great together.

Problem is, when I really like a song I will play the piss out of it until I can't stand to listen to it anymore.:)

TomCW

Second Unit

Clem, I have the same problem. I have to force myself to load up something else before burn-out occurs.

My heavy spinners are:
Kasey Chambers - Nullarbor Song
This is about her youth in the wilds of Australia, very high and lonesome.
Chatham County Line - Tennessee Valley Authority
These guys do an alt neo traditional kinda thing, whatever that is, which I really dig. :)

Tom

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Off of Santana - Shaman: Sideways(feat Citizen Cope)
It is a great blues song(in a time when blues is anything but mainstream) and has an enormous amount of soul/life/feeling, in other words my hairs stood on end 30 seconds into the song. This song meant so much to me that I went out and bought his latest CD. I was suprised to find that Sideways is a bit off of his beaten path as the CD was nothing like Sideways. Not a big deal as I was able to find his newest CD for very cheap used. Regardless, if anyone has ever suffered from depression or been down on your luck, you'll understand.

Another great find for those with high speed internet access:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-d...db.php?id=1544

The song Rodeo Clowns is just a great upbeat song that you can sit back and sing to. He reminds me of a cross between Dave Matthews and Bob Marley. To be honest, it's EXTREMELY hard for me just to pick one song as they are all great acoustic songs. I've handed this CD out to 4 seperate people who had never even heard of Jack Johnson and they were immediatley hooked.

Other than that I've been so addicted to the Live Music Archive, that I've done nothing but listen to concerts.

CF

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
"Testimony"

From Robbie Robertson's self-titled 1987 album. Featuring Robbie, U2 and Peter Gabriel. The song simply moves you.

"Rock and Roll"

From Led Zeppelin (IV).

These two songs are in heavy rotation for jogging/running, and will definitely be on my mp3 for a 5K I'm running in 3 weeks.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
COOL forum idea!

Duran Duran: "Sunrise" (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy s/t). What a great comeback!

Kimberly Locke: "Eighth World Wonder". She placed third in last seasons' "American Idol" and by far this is the best song released by anyone connected with that show.

Venus Hum: "Soul Sloshing". Venus did the lead vocals for Blue Man Group's remake of Donna Summer's "I Feel Love". This song is so "up" you can't help but get into a better mood!

Maroon 5: "This Love" (Songs for Mary CD). Power pop at its absolute best.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter

Wow you must be alot like FM radio ;)
Ugh, these are two of my most HATED songs of the moment due to being overplayed on FM radio. Don't get me wrong, I like Sheryl Crow (atleast her second and third albums) and as for Counting Crows August and Everything After is a fantastic album but I can't stand these two songs. A coworker of mine has a little FM radio turned very low (but i have really good hearing) and everyday Big Yellow Taxi and The First Cut is the deepest are played seemingly multiple times on the same station. It's gotten to the point where i actually want to puncture my eardrums when I hear Big Yellow Taxi. Luckily for me, I have my XM radio at my desk (which while also at a low volume I can hear clear as day and it drowns out the FM radio).
For me, the one that I've been really into of late is Moses by Coldplay. I had been a in a huge Liz Phair mood the past few months (Exile in Guyville specifically) but I recently heard Moses for the first time in a few weeks and I forgot what an awesome song it is.

Clem

Agent

Chet,
Awesome web site! Thanks for the link. I just went and downloaded a fantastic Little Feat concert from 1973. Lowell George at his finest. Great stuff. Downloaded some of Jack Johnsons music too and listened to a 1929 recording of Benny Goodman. Thanks again, bookmark for sure!

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter

:emoji_thumbsup: I couldn't have summed it up better myself. In case it wasn't clear in my earlier post, i wasn't ragging on your choices, just mentioning how FM radio has made two otherwise seemingly ok songs unbearable to me (though it seems like as soon as they started playing them at all they did it at nauseum). It'll be interesting to see if I like the songs in a few years when I stop hearing them all the time.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"I remember well radios ability to kill many songs which is one of the reasons I never listen."

Clem, you have the EXACT mindset of radio that I have. Really the radio stations DROVE me away by doing so. I'd still be listening if they wern't so good at killing songs. In fact, at one point, I could tell people the EXACT time by what song was on radio staion A. How others can listen to the same crap day in and day out boggles my mind but to each their own.

Unfortuantely without a source for new music I went without buying ANYTHING new for many years as there was nothing I wanted. I feel there are many more people in my shoes.

"Awesome web site! Thanks for the link."

You are most welcome. If it wasn't for this wonderful site I wouldn't even know about it myself.:D

Chet

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Fix Up, Look Sharp - Dizzee Rascal
I Miss You - Blink 182
Place to Be - Nick Drake
She Lives in My Lap - Andre 3000
Hands Away - Interpol
Sleep on Needles - Sondre Lerch

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I haven't anything on the radio lately that floats my boat, except maybe that milkshake song, so I have been getting into old bands I hadn't before. Three songs from albums that are in heavy rotation at my house are:

"Ride" by Caravan from their first album.

"See Through Windows" by Family from their first album Music in A Dolls House .

"How Can You Call That Beautiful?" by The Nazz from their third album.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Last Train Home - Lost Prophets
I Miss You - Blink 182
Through the wire - Kanye West
Big Brat - Phantom Planet
Megalomaniac - Incubus
My Immortal - Evanescence

though these get the most airplay on radio these days, I rarely tune in, so when I do, I turn these songs up.

OK.. If I hear " I believe in a thing called love" by The Dorkness one more time.. I swear I will change the station!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
"Halleluja" - Rammstein. I also really like "Das Modell", a far catchier upbeat song, but I just found 'Halleluja' and keep it in heavy rotation.

"You Spin Me 'Round (Like A Record)" - Dead Or Alive. Damn you VH1's "I Love the Eighties: Strikes Back!" Now I'll never get this out of my head!

"Strobe's Nanafusji (Satori Mix)" - Kodo. Just got my SVS :D

"Duvet" - Boa. Strange, an American song I discovered on a cult Japanese sci-fi cartoon.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter

Which version? I've heard at least three: the CD version, a piano/"unplugged" version, and a "radio edit," which seems to be getting the airplay now - differs from the CD version in that it has more a rock edge and less of a ballad/orchestral feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks