What's new

Your opinions of the Samsung SIR-T151 HDTV receiver? (1 Viewer)

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm on the verge of buying this unit from another member of the HTF and I'm wondering if I'm making a good purchase or not.

At this point in time I only have regular basic cable (2-13 + HBO and Encore). I have no plans on upgrading to digital cable or DirecTV (too many trees near my house).

I want to utilize my HDTV (Mitsubishi 55") so I'm looking for a good cheap way to watch the HD programming on Fox, ABC, etc (24, George Lopez, Oscars, Super Bowl, etc).

I don't see this receiver listed on SamsungUSA's site, so I'm wondering if it's a solid unit or if I should avoid buying it at all costs.

Keep in mind that I only want the basic channels in HDTV and I only watch TV about 10-15 hours a week. Thanks for all the help guys.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I've had one ever since they were first released. It's a solid performer. The tuner is not as sensitive as some of the newer decoders out there, but that will only be an issue if you live in a fringe area.

DJ

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Not only is it a solid performer, but it seems to lack many of the bugs that its replacement, the 351, seems to have. There are many, many user reports of DD drop outs with the 351.

When I owned the 151, it was solid. I recently sold it to a friend, since I upgraded to a Sammy 160 to add DirectTV HD to my rig, otherwise I would still be enjoying its performance.

BGL

SeanA

Second Unit
I've got the 151. I've had it for about a year, and not one single problem. I use only an indoor antenna and can pull in all stations but one from about 15-25 miles away from the transmitters. The one station I can't receive puts out a very weak digital signal and even those with outdoor antennas can not pull it in.

If you do get this receiver just be sure you give it plenty of breathing room. It puts out a lot of heat, but maybe they all do.

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
I checked on antennaweb.org and it shows that all the channels that I want to receive are in the 10-11 mile range. I'm going to give this one a shot with an indoor antenna. Any suggestions on one? Also how would this connect to my HT in conjuction with my Tivo?

I'm guessing from the cable->HDTV tuner->Tivo->TV?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The best indoor antenna is the Silver Sensor. You connect the HD tuner separately via component connection to your TV - it can't go thru a TIVO thats SD interlaced only.

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, so am I correct when I say

Silver Sensor Antenna (the Zenith one correct?) connected via coaxial cable to the T151. From the 151 has component running to the TV and a coax (or fiber optic) cable to my receiver for 5.1.

And keep the cable running into my house running to my Tivo then to my VCR, then to my TV using the coax connection?

So when I have my HDTV tuner turned on would it auto detect that a program is in HD? Does it take precedent over the standard cable?

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
silver sensor does work great. I live 20miles from every antenna and that little thing licked up every channel.

oryan_dunn

Agent

You are the auto detector. When a show you want to watch is in HD, you'll have to turn your tv over to the component inputs and use the t151. If you want, you can still use the t151 for stuff that isn't in HD, but it will show it with black bars on the sides. So if you have a 4:3 set, you'll end up having a black box all around your picture. So for stuff that isn't HD, you'll probably be better off watching it through your cable, unless you have a widescreen tv.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Just to elaborate on Oryan's comments, the SIR-T151 is a digital-only tuner. That means that it does not have the capability of receiving standard analog television or cable TV broadcasts. It will only receive ATSC DTV or HDTV signals. You will need to use another tuner (probably the one built into your TV) to receive all other broadcasts.

BTW, I own one of these, and it works well. I no longer use the tuner, though, since I now get HDTV via Comcast cable. They offer all the over-the-air HD signals I received before, along with ESPN-HD (which requires cable or satellite service).

David Judah

Screenwriter
You can record stuff from the 151 to the Tivo, but you'll have to switch the output selector to 480i and run either S-video or composite and stereo cables to the Tivo. I do it from time to time with my Replay TV.

DJ

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll get back to you on Fri/Sat when I get the receiver if I have any problems. I just bought the Silver Sensor antenna today, not bad for $18.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks