What's new

Your ONE Most Favorite Film of All Time? (1 Viewer)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
For me it's Thunderbolt & Lightfoot, followed very closely by Empire Strikes Back. I actually have a top 100 that I compiled some time ago from a list of all films I have seen in my life (or at least 98% of what I've seen)

http://www.streetersedge.com/?p=19

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Jurassic Park is my pick. Its far for perfect and when I saw it right after reading the book I didn't like it too much but over the years its grown on me to become a personal favorite. Its also pretty much the movie (along with Twister) that got he hooked on surround sound back in the pro logic days and was the first DVD I bought (along with Twister) the day I bought my Toshiba 2109 DVD player.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
For me, my favorite film of all time is one I can watch over and over again and still be in awe of the story, the characters, the action and any twists and turns. The one I am thinking of is one I saw when I was younger and from then on was hooked on this specific genre of movies. I can pop this film in whenever and wherever and still just feel the same way I did when I was a kid first watching.

Drum roll please......

Night of the Living Dead by George Romero.

Since seeing that film I have been obsessed with zombie movies of all kinds. I love the whole survival aspect of these films and how each character is placed in this horrific situation and has to make quick decisions that could either save or end their lives.

28 days later
Resident Evil 1,2
Dawn of the dead (original as well as remake)
Shawn of the dead
Day of the dead
I, Zombie

All movies I can watch over and over, but put anything Romero does first on my list....especially Night of the Living Dead!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I always have a problem with "Favorite Movie" threads... when I went through High School, every film was someone's "favorite" even if they [that person] saw four films in the same week.

So I got to where if anyone claimed it was "their favorite," I'd ask, "why?"

I have a number of "favorites." Amelie. Tampopo. Some of the Star Warses. I had completely forgotten about Abyss until seeing it above.

It's almost a "hobby" for me to answer Blade Runner, though I haven't even seen it since, oh, probably the 2000/2001 timeframe. It's so full of... character, don't'cha know? And I love the light in it, too.

But I'm also one of those sick-o's who really likes Ladyhawke too. I don't even get bugged too much by the color filters, and frankly, I rather like the score.

"Tell me, does this walking corpse have a name?"

Ah, well.. maybe I'll have to watch that again, too... time to dust off the old laserdisc. No, wait! I did get that on DVD... even if they were made from the same master tapes...

Leo

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite film of all time is THE STUNT MAN. This is a challenging film on many levels; I love the how "reality" shifts throughout the film, depending upon POV and the film within a film plot.

It's certainly the strangest screwball comedy of all time! Preston Sturges would have loved this film.

The acting was phenomenal and confirmed my belief that Peter O'Toole is the greatest actor of our time. Steve Railsback, with echos of Charles Manson from "Helter Skelter," also gives a bravo performance, combining criminal cynicism with naivete. Barbara Hershey gives her finest performance, never has she looked more beautiful and captivating.

I saw this in LA with an audience of mostly film professionals, mostly those who toil behind the camera in stunt work and craftservice. They loved it, and hearing their comments about the 'truth' (especially in regards to Eli Cross, the director (as played by O'Toole) greatly enhanced my own enjoyment.

It's my most-watched film, and I've owned "The Stunt Man" in VHS, DVD and soon HD-DVD!

John

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI.

I saw this in 1958 at a great old theater that had only recently installed a 2.35:1 screen. No movie before or since has had the impact for me that BRIDGE had - perfect pacing, structure, acting, everything (except for a rather lackluster Malcolm Arnold score, but I wasn't too aware of such things as music scores when I was eight).

No film since then has ever supplanted this one (for me) as the best Movie Ever.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
It's tough to pick one. I've probably seen Raiders of the Lost Ark more than any other movie, but I've watched JFK about three times a month for the past year as well.

I'm going with Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Jenn Teng

Auditioning
2001: A Space Odyssey is my all time favorite. Unforgettable movie watching experience from the first frame to last.

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I'm going with nostalgia for this one.

When I was six , the world of TV and movies really entered my life. This was in 1966. Dad set me in front of the TV and said " We are going to watch Star Track" Or that is what I thought he said :laugh:
So later when I was 16 or 17 when Star Wars came out, I already had been a Star Trek Geek for a decade. Funny though, Star Wars made little impression on me. I thought, and still do it was a fine homage to the serial Flash Gordon era. It never captivated me like Star Trek the TV series.
Ok, so that's why I don't enshrine Star Wars, but can never be far from giving a Vulcan peace sign
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Now, onto my favorite film, Born Free.
A superb score first off. Emotional, tear jerking, and it instills a be-kind-to-nature, but let it be philosophy I still live with. I saw it when I was seven and have never forgotten it. I have revisited it now and again, and it has aged a bit in my eyes, but the message is still clear, and the score, .wonderful as always.
It helped lead me into the useless but fulfilling Anthropology and Cartography degrees I have under my belt as well!:laugh:

So Born Free is my favorite film for reasons of impact on my life more than its cinematic glory, though it can stand on its own.

Let's see now, I did see Raider's of The Lost Ark 17 times in the theater when it came out:eek: I guess that one holds a bit of interest to me as well:laugh:

The movie I remember surprising me the most was Evil Dead in its theatrical run. I knew nothing of it, went into a small subterranean theater that smelled of decomposing animals, and was blown away! My girl friend and I could not belive the stench in the place, but somehow we stayed and it all worked just fine:eek: :eek:

Originally Posted by Chris

Groundhog's Day

Although I like to think of it as Groundhog Day, I'm glad to find someone else feel the same way about it. While I don't feel it encompasses everything I love about movies (cinematography and visual not verbal language, for example), its the only movie on earth that feels like coming home to me.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
As it was over thirty years ago for me Close Encounters of the Third Kind still remains my all time favourite film.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy E.E. without even thinking twice about it.
They are my favorite books (along with The Hobbit), and my favorite movies. Will hold judgement for now on Del Toros version of The Hobbit. I sure wish Jackson was directing it................

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
What an interesting question. I don't know if I can answer this definitively, but maybe after I give it some more thought.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Aliens - It gave my my favourite character (Ripley), Director (Cameron), Composer (Horner), and so much more. I was terrified by it when I watched it as a teen - and have loved it relentlessly since.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If I had to pick one to be my favorite movie I would choose
Somewhere in Time.

A man falls deeply in love with someone after he sees a photograph of her taken nearly a century earlier.

The tagline back in 1980 when it was released,
"Beyond Fantasy. Beyond Obsession. Beyond time itself...He will find her."

Richard does find her, but in a most unusual way.
His journey starts as an old woman pushes a very old pocket watch into his hand and says, "Come back to me".

Now I have to also include
Heaven Can Wait (Beatty)
Somewhere In Time

These are equal to me as my favorite 3 movies.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Raiders of the Lost Ark will always be my favorite movie of all time. The Empire Strikes Back and LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring usually fight it out for second.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks