What's new

Your Ideal Criterion Box Set? (1 Viewer)

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
What would be your ideal criterion box set?

Mine would be The Complete Steven Soderbergh.
Traffic-Criterion
Schizopolis-Criterion
2-disc Ocean's Eleven
2-disc Ocean's Twelve
2-disc The Limey
The Underneath
2-disc Solaris
King of The Hill
Kafka
The Underneath
Bubble 2-disc
Eros 2-disc
K-Street: The Complete series 3-disc set
2-disc Sex, Lies and Videotape
The Yes concert documentary

The salivation has begun.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Not really a set, But if Universal drops the ball with the DVD of BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN and releases it with little supplements; I'm all for a elaborate SE: with Gobs, and Gobs of extras. Criterion Style.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Orson Welles Box Set
The Third Man
F For Fake
The Complete Mr. Arkadin
Touch of Evil
The Lady From Shanghai

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Oh dear, I apologize for derailing your thread, Jake. But I did get a laugh out of the Vanilla Ice cover art.

I would like a Terry Gilliam box set, including an anamorphic Brazil, The Fisher King (complete with original supplements), Adventures of Baron Munchausen (ditto) and all the others.

- Steve

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Abel Gance's Napoleon - Three-Disc Criterion Edition:

- The most complete 5 1/2 hr. cut with the improved (and real) tinting/toning, original Old English font styled intertitles and opening credits, full digital restoration (MTI)
- Musical Score by Carmine Coppola remixed to Dolby Digital 5.1
- Musical Score by Carl Davis remixed to Dolby Digital 5.1
- Commentary by Kevin Brownlow and other participants (perhaps a great Napoleon [The real man] historian, Robert Harris, etc)
- 3-Panel Finale presented in 4:1 Anamorphic Widescreen, with maybe the option to obtain three mini-DVD's for those wanting to set up three projectors or monitors side-by-side.

The film would be split into three parts (it's supposed to have two intermissions, so it would be seamless).

Other extras:

- Abel Gance: The Charm of Dynamite documentary (by Kevin Brownlow
- A featurette comparing the many versions.
- Alternate/Deleted Scenes (namely re-shot material from the 1971 version and alternate takes not used in the restoration)
- The complete 1935 sound re-issue
- A detailed featurette on the restoration, as well as the further restoration on the DVD
- Stills gallery (production stills, behind the scenes, posters, etc.)
- Behind the scenes footage (this exists and can be seen in Cinema Europe)
- The complete script in PDF form (I have this in softcover)
- Package a softcover reprint of Brownlow's book on Napoleon

I know this would be about $99.98 in MSRP, but it would be Criterion's greatest release.

------

Another idea...

Metropolis: 2-disc SE

- New digital master sourced directly from the 2K digital restoration files
- The Huppertz Score in 5.1 (full bitrate)

First disc ONLY the movie, plus the previous Enno Patalas commentary. Also add a more "fun" commentary by Roger Ebert or someone. The Patalas commentary is like sitting through a film theory class.

The second disc would carry over all the previous extras on the Kino, but would add the butchered Paramount version for comparison.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Given the recent terrible releases, a Zhang Yimou box would be keen:

Red Sorghum
Raise The Red Lantern
Ju Dou
The Story Of Qiu Ju
To Live
Shanghai Triad
The Road Home
Not One Less

I've only seen about half of those, but would love to see some great treatment for a great filmmaker.

Nah just kidding...What I really want is a box set of prison girl films. :D

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
The Complete Terrence Malick:

Badlands
-Disc 1: The Film + Special Features
-Disc 2:Terrence Malick feature-length documentary. Like One Man Band, this documentary would discuss the films Malick was never able to make, such as Q and Gawain and the Green Knight. Also included as a supplement: Malick's original draft of the Che screenplay from before Soderbergh's meddling.
Days of Heaven
-Disc 1: Theatrical Cut
-Disc 2: the two previously-unseen Alternate Cuts
The Thin Red Line
-Disc 1: Theatrical Cut
-Disc 2 & 3: Extended Cut
The New World
-Disc 1: '05 Preview Cut
-Disc 2: Extended Cut

It would cost $250+, but I wouldn't think twice about buying it. :D What a fantasy...

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
My ideal Criterion box set:

The Complete Cameron Crowe

Say Anything
Disc 1: Theatrical Cut w/commentary with Crowe, Cusack, Skye, and Mahoney. Seamless Branching edit with the Deleted scenes, extended scenes and alternate scenes edited back into the movie or can be viewed seperately.
Disc 2: Featurette, Theatrical trailers, TV spots, Where are they now feature, outtakes.

Singles
Disc 1: Theatrical Cut w/commentary with Crowe, Taylor, Pullman, Skerrit, Piven, Dillon, Scott, Sedgwick, Giamatti and Fonda. Deleted scenes (if they exist)
Disc 2: Theatrical trailer, Music videos, BTS, Where are they now, outtakes.

Jerry Maguire
Disc 1: Theatrical cut w/brand new commentary with Crowe, Cruise, Zellweger, Gooding Jr and Lipnicki as well as a video commentary also.
Disc 2: Everything from the SE plus a feature on where the sports people featured in the movie are now (Wayne Fontes still waiting by the phone...). Also the Reebok commercial created specifically for the movie.

Almost Famous
Everything from the Bootleg version plus:

Roger Ebert commentary
Get the rights from Led Zeppelin to use Stairway to Heaven in the deleted scene so that the viewer doesn't have to dig out their copy of it.

Vanilla Sky
Disc 1: Crowe's version and Amenabar's version with commentary from both on both versions as well as Cruise, Cruz, and Diaz. Pop-up track pointing out all of the pop culture references as well as the reference to Eric Stolz! :)
Disc 2: Featurettes (one just on shooting in Times Square), Interview w/McCartney, Music Video, Trailers, and Photo Gallery.

Elizabethtown
Disc 1: Theatrical cut and Toronto cut with commentary by Crowe, Bloom, and Dunst
Disc 2: BTS featurette, music video, deleted scenes, alternate scenes, screenplay.

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
The Early Films of Brian Depalma

Wedding Party
Get to Know Your Rabbit
Greetings
Hi, Mom!
Woton's Wake
Dionysus
Murder a la Mod
Home Movies

And his early short films

I've seen very, very few of these, and have had my eye out for years hoping they'll one day be available. Only "Hi, Mom!" and "Greetings" (althought it appears to be a public domain-esque release) has made it to DVD, to my knowledge.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

Don't leave out Phantom of the Paradise, my personal favorite. Actually... I heard Criterion did consider putting it out at one point.

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
What about a Samuel Bronston "Epic Collection" featuring:
El Cid
Fall of the Roman Empire
55 Days at Peking, Fall of the Roman Empire
Circus World
King of Kings.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
How about Buena Vista licenses Takahata's Only Yesterday to Criterion? On the other hand with Lassetar in charge it may get a legitimate release, unlike the previous regime that deemed it obscene (female functions are so filthy! sigh.) but released the testicle-laden Pom-Poko.

:D

John Ford The Silent Years: Fragments and Memories 3 disc set:

Basically a compilation of surviving film of Ford's early directed films, where at least one reel survives. Anchoring the set would be the best four-eight surviving intact silent films with new score recordings, including Iron Horse, the third disc would be the extras (ie surviving fragments) and a new documentary on Ford.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Dune - Criterion SE

Disk 1: Theatrical cut
Cast and crew commentary
Trailers
Vintage making of's and features

Disk 2: Alan Smithie cut
Film historian type commentary
Feature on the origin and reasons for the TV cut

Disk 3: David Lynch approved directors cut
David Lynch and Freddie Francis commentary
Deleted/alternate scenes

Disk 4: Suppliments
Major 2hr+ documentary covering all aspects of production, audiance reaction, retrospective views, restoration and directors cut etc

ted:r

Second Unit
That Napoleon Set sounds fantastic.

I'd vote for the Honor the Volcanic Dead: The last films of John Huston:
  • Under The Volcano
  • Prizzi's Honor
  • The Dead

Also The Complete World War II Documentaties of John Huston:
  • Report From The Aleutians
  • San Pietro
  • Let There Be Light

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks