What's new

Your Guilty Pleasures in film (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Heathers" is another guilty pleasure for me. I used to have a sig file full of quotes just from "Heathers".

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I paid attention to critics in the late '80's, so I have no idea about "Heathers" and the critics.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Heck, even "Not Another Teen Movie" is a guilty pleasure for me. It kept a good tone for the spoofing of all those teen movies of the 1980's and 1990's.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I do have one guilty pleasure, movie-wise:

Valley of the Dolls: Softer-than-softcore sex scenes (the Production Code still existed), soapier-than-soap opera acting, and campier-than-camp dialogue such as "You'll have to climb Mt. Everest to reach the Valley of the Dolls."

Other than that I feel guilt from getting pleasure out of no other movies.

UHF - I guess it was a bad movie, after all. But at least now we know it and Al knows it, and we can all enjoy it together for that.
There are no bad movies that feature fish-related game shows!

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I forgot one:
Loser - Scoring a 25% at Rotten Tomatoes is probably everything most sane people need to know about this movie. For some reason, however, I bought into it completely. I guess the inner geek in me liked the development of the romance between Jason Biggs and Mena Suvari. Every once in a while, one of these cliched romantic comedies really sparks my interest, other examples being It Could Happen to You and Keeping the Faith
Oh, in case anyone was curious, I found a review of Beatlemania: The Movie, just in case you couldn't already guess how bad it may be:
"My idea of hell is being forced at gunpoint to resee this 1981 atrocity." - Jonathan Rosenbaum, Chicago Reader
There are no bad movies that feature fish-related game shows!
I will prove you wrong someday, oh yes... ;)

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
OK here it goes
LIFEFORCE:End of the world flick with naked vampires= fantastic.
MARS ATTACKS: Even this flick was more Tim Burton then Planet Of The Apes.
JAWS 3: Every time this flick is on TV I have to watch it.
THE MONSTER SQUAD: Goonies meets monsters!
THE BEAST WITHIN: Insect sex + Werewolf genre= A good time!
MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR: This movie is so messed up it's great!
NIGHT OF THE CREEPS: A Classic!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME: Many 80's slashers are guilty pleasures but this one tops the list!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"S.O.B"-Blake Edwards gathers his friends and family together, and they go after Hollywood with the big knives. This movie contains the infamous Julie Andrews "Would you like to see my boobies?" scene...it's
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
ingly sick, but friggin' hilarious at the same time.
"Earth Girls Are Easy"-The sci-fi-comedy-musical that can best be described as a "mental margerita". It's got killer production design, eye-popping costumes, Julie Brown in her hot days, Geena Davis with a killer singing voice and a see-through bikini, Michael McKean as a Spicoli-type pool cleaner, Jeff Goldblum as his odd self, Damon Wayans busting some killer moves, and Jim Carrey eating a goldfish...All this set to a soundtrack that includes Hall & Oates, Depeche Mode, The B-52s, Stewart Copeland and the Jesus and Mary Chain. "Waste Your Brain, Wax Your Board, Pray For Waves"
"Who's That Girl?"-This movie is equal to "Desperately Seeking Susan"...Madonna, Griffin Dunne, Sir John Mills and Haviland Morris as a Bacharach-quoting socialite bitch. Killer soundtrack on this one, too...Why wasn't the title song nominated for an Academy Award? "Creep of the 80s!"
"Crimes Of Passion"-Has to be seen to be believed...hypersexual, twisted...almost like a semi-dramatic "South Park" episode stretched out to 100 minutes...what would you expect from Ken Russell, Kathleen Turner and Anthony Perkins as a psychotic, perverted preacher of the streets? "Save your soul, whore" "Save your money, shithead"
Well, I like them and I have no guilt about it!
Sincerely,
John "No guilt...no regrets...I'm not angry anymore...Must be the Wal-Mart job" Kilduff

John Bryant

Second Unit
Starship Troopers
Anti Trust
UHF
A Night at the Roxbury
The Ladies Man
Blue Streak
Loser
The Cable Guy
Pitch Black
The Fast and the Furious
Willow
Billy Madison
The Fifth Element
All get a big :emoji_thumbsup: from me!

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
Poison Ivy 2 - Lilly
Alyssa Milano is way to hot in this movie. It seems like I have a hard time watching the whole movie though. It gives me a itch halfway through that needs to be scratched :b
First the pleasure then the guilt:D
I'm so ashamed

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Here are my guilty pleasures...

- Independence Day
- Star Trek: Generations
- Planet Of The Apes (2k)
- Deep Impact (one of my favourites)
- Judge Dredd
- The Perfect Storm
- Vertical Limit
- The Lost World
- Hook

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Cheech and Chong's " The Corsican Brothers". Though I don't actually feel guilty about it. The movie is really kind of terrible, but it leaves me in tears everytime I watch it. "Come back....you have not whipped me"! That crazy Fuckaire.:D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Ah, this classic old question! I read Patrick's initial post, and then scanned down to reply - so forgive me if I mention the same movies from above. I'll enjoy reading everyone's responses once I'm done here.
Well, there are the big ones that I mention all the time:
Popeye and 1941 - If I had to nitpick, I'd contend that these aren't really guilty pleasures at all, but movies that I think are damn good and unjustly vilified. But popular concensus is that they stink, so I always feel like I should duck my head down when mentioning that I adore these two. Same goes for Mike Hodges' Flash Gordon; a film that's often mocked but is, to me anyway, a damn well-made movie.
I'd also argue that both Ishtar and Hudson Hawk are measurably better than their respective reputations suggest. Not so for Howard the Duck; that's just poop. ;)
Since I'm a hardcore horror fan, a lot of my GPs come from that genre. Stuff like The Relic, Deep Rising, Resident Evil, Deep Blue Sea, Jaws 2, Night of the Creeps, Critters, Humanoids from the Deep, The Fly II, Species, Carnosaur, Mimic, Orca, From Dusk Till Dawn, Needful Things, My Bloody Valentine, Chopping Mall, Pumpkinhead, Squirm, Hell Night, The Funhouse, Prophecy, Grizzly, Rawhead Rex, that Blob remake, most of the Friday the 13th flicks, and about 1,200 others. :)
I also have a strange little section of my DVD collection devoted to the following titles:
The Beastmaster
The Sword and the Sorcerer
Krull
Willow
Legend
...plus goofy stuff like Battle Beyond the Stars, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Used Cars and UHF.
I'm also a bit leery of admitting my relative admiration for movies such as Con Air, Charlie's Angels, Ravenous, The Island, The 13th Warrior, Armageddon, Shakes the Clown, Dreamscape, The Story of Us, Predator 2, The Long Kiss Goodnight, My Boyfriend's Back, Sweet Liberty, Clash of the Titans, Student Bodies, Fortress, Police Academy, The Quick and the Dead, Addicted to Love, She's All That, Young Doctors in Love, Freaked, Trespass, The Golden Child, Hero at Large, The Lonely Guy, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Dante's Peak, Up the Creek, Stakeout, Very Bad Things, Cruel Intentions, One Fine Day, Cliffhanger, Brain Donors, The Pirate Movie, Not Another Teen Movie, Bachelor Party, Disorganized Crime, Outrageous Fortune, Fierce Creatures, Deathtrap, The Cannonball Run, Scavenger Hunt, Clue, Greedy, Noises Off..., Oscar, etc., etc. :b
So keep that in mind if you ever read my movie reviews. ("Hey, this guy seems to LIKE crap!") :laugh:
EDIT: I just went back and read the other reponses. I can't believe someobody else loves Night of the Creeps! :emoji_thumbsup: Also nice to see a little respect for Chuck Russell's Blob remake.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
- Best SFX ever in a low-grade B-movie. My love of this movie is the whole reason I will never be taken seriously on this forum.;)
You and me both! Of course, I actually consider this a very good film, which puts me in an even worse position.:D BTW, for best effects in a B movie, see Virus. The last act contains some incredible CGI that, with the exception of the robot's movements, blends perfectly with the elaborate mechanical effects in the rest of the film...
Scott, add me to that list of people who love Chuck Russell's The Blob...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks