What's new

Your gaming gripes? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
The issue at hand here is TIME. Save anywhere is IMO the best since it's the most convenient way to save.
I just don't care for a save anywhere feature. It makes it too easy to kill an enemy, save, kill an enemy, save, kill an enemy, save, etc... It can just make a game too easy.

Aaron

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think people have to see GAMEPLAY and GAME SAVE as two *unrelated* concepts. The purpose of saving a game is to come back to it later. If people are saving for other reasons, then who cares?

If you think that save anywhere makes a game too easy, then DON'T DO IT. If someone else saves every 10 seconds so he can get through the game more easily, then what do you care? People can play their games however they want. Stopping every 10 seconds to save isn't terribly fun, anyway--if that's how someone else wants to play his game, he can go ahead.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
My biggest gripe:

PC games. Something about the look and feel of them. I'm not sure what it is, but I just don't like 'em. They have that jittery feel, strange polygons, patches, bugs, hardware compatibility issues, and I really don't like using what I use for business to play games.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I think the best compromise to the save anywhere scenario is the GBC Dragon Warrior/Majora's mask system. There are ways to save permanently, but if you need to take a break, there's a "bookmark" save that gets deleted when you load-great idea.

Now that I think about it-a GB specific gripe-no low battery warning! Sure, the light dims, but an onscreen message saying that there is approx 5 minutes of battery remaining etc would be nice. Lost a lot of DW3 time cause of batteries dying...

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Another GB related gripe. Where the hell is the backlight after all these years?

As for the saving, it's one thing to say "don't do it" relating to "save anywhere", but it's another thing to actually resist the temptation. Especially on PC games where saving is simply a matter of hitting a single button. Now I never saved after every kill or anything, but I know I found myself saving after every room cleared in games like Quake. It's just too easy. I still think checkpoints are clearly the best option. They give you clear objectives to work toward and don't allow you to give into the temptation of quick cheap saves.

Aaron

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I think the best compromise to the save anywhere scenario is the GBC Dragon Warrior/Majora's mask system. There are ways to save permanently, but if you need to take a break, there's a "bookmark" save that gets deleted when you load-great idea.
I'll agree with this. It's the best way to do a portable RPG - it's too much of a pain in the *ss if you just putting a couple of minutes to play to make it to a save point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks