What's new

your favorite car-care products (1 Viewer)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Ok, what do you use to get rid of the white gunk in trim and rubber, other then new trim and rubber. I have a '97 Neon that needs some TLC.

Going to pick up my '03 GT Cruiser likely on Saturday, so the info seen so far is great. Going to have to get some of this stuff and try it out.

What do people use to keep engine bays in top shape?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
OK, I've done intensive reading at the Zaino site, and also got the local distributor number by e-mailing them.

A few more clarifications. . .

Say I've finished with the whole Dawn/Claybar/Z7 wash routine. And I put on Z5 for existing swirl marks. The site says:

"Z-5 is the first non-abrasive polish that will eliminate swirl marks, fine scratches and spidering, without hurting the integrity of the clear coat. It does this in stages, anywhere between 1 to 3 applications. This in itself is a major technological breakthrough. With each application of Z-5 polish, you will see the swirl marks and fine scratches gradually lessen, until the marks are no longer visible.. . "

Does this mean after ZFX/Z5 application, 30-minute hazing wait and removal, another coat of Z5 should be used if swirl marks are still visible? So is this done one application/removal after another until (hopefully) the swirlmarks are gone? THEN, I can go on to the ZFX/Z2 mixture? Lary mentioned Z6 gloss enhancer application after each application of Z5, but if the best shine factor is not important, can I do:

ZFX/Z5
remove
ZFX/Z5
remove
ZFX/Z2
remove
ZFX/Z2
remove
Z6

I realize the Z6 can be used between the ZFX/Z2 applications for glossiest shine, but I got tired just imaging that! ;) Figured a Z6 final coat would help with reducing dust pickup, though.

Thank you -- I'm trying to get the whole routine laid out in my mind. This initial use of Zaino products is very daunting with a lot of steps. . .!

One more thing -- do I have to worry about getting any of these products on the plastic side molding? Or should any purposely be used on it?

Thank you! :)

*edit* This part under "tips" confuses me:

"Z-5 can be used initially or at anytime thereafter. You should switch to Z-2 as soon as you are happy with the way the paint finish looks. Example, no more swirls, scratches etc. It's up to you. Z-2 has higher optical properties than Z-5. You can switch from Z-2 to Z-5 and then back to Z-2 as often as you want."

When they refer to "switching", they mean between coats? You wouldn't use Z-5 ONLY, right?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
elizabeth -

i'll be very curious as to your final decisions and results. if it goes well for you, i may just be willing to take the leap of faith!

would you mind posting your results when all is said and done?

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Sure, Ted! :) I'll keep you all updated with my Zaino adventure! (Yes, a little daunting to make the jump, but I figure my car is worth the $80+ and effort. At this moment, I really intend to try. . . )

BTW, that's so nice some of you do your wives/gfs cars -- lucky!

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Elizabeth,

Your proposed routine looks fine to me. I'm not sure it's necessary to do 2 coats of Z2 after multiple coats of Z5. I think that's going into "deep shine" territory.

do I have to worry about getting any of these products on the plastic side molding?
I don't think so - but my car has no plastic on the exterior. You could email or call Zaino for a more definitive answer.

Just want to also mention that a coat of Z6 isn't really that much work. The stuff sprays on like Windex, then you just wipe it off while it's still wet. The work does add up if you do it after every coat, though.

I sound like Mr. Miyagi - "Wax on - wax off, Elizabeth-san" :D

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Elizabeth... unless I'm mistaken, (as I haven't used the ZFX yet) you only use the ZFX with the first coat. Then you would do Z5 until you were happy with the result and then Z2.

I actually did this:

Z1 (now replaced with ZFX)
Z5
Z2
Z5
Z2
Z2
Z6

No... not all at once. If you find this daunting, keep in mind that first coat that has the ZFX in it will take the longest. After than, it's pretty quick...just do coats as you need 'em. I would simply start with the ZFX/Z5 mix, and then do a coat of Z2 and leave it at that. Then add more coats as you see fit. WARNING... the deeper the shine you see, the more addictive this stuff becomes. :D

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
No, that's not correct Tony. Elizabeth has it correct. You add ZFX every time you use Z5 or Z2. A little different than using the Z1.

The one caution I'll throw out here is that you shouldn't put more than 3 coats of Z5/Z2 on in a 24 hour period. Put on the 2 coats of Z5 and then put on a coat of Z2 and you should be good. Just remember to put the Z5/Z2 on THIN and it will come off very easily. It should only take about 1 oz to do your whole car.

Edit: I was just reading some posts from the Zaino "experts" over on the Corvetteforum and most of them can get 2-3 coats of Zaino out of 1 oz! It seems that I'm still putting it on too thick. They suggested squirting some Z6 on your applicator to help spread the Z2/Z5 a little thinner. I'll have to try that next time.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
OK, now that I'm all revved to do this, I can't get it touch with the distributor yet. . .

Anyway. . .

I have a 1999 Honda Civic. For those of you familiar with it, I'm presuming the side molding as well as that panel between the front and back doors is plastic. Any ideas how to get water spots off of that?

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
This is a fascinating thread! I had no idea all this stuff even existed!

I'm planning on getting a new car in a few weeks. Is there any rule about new-new cars? I recall something about not waxing it for a while to let the paint "cure". I'd like to start with a good cleaning regimen right away before all the chips and dings and other outrageous misfortunes of the road aim their slings and arrows at me.

Thanks!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
jason -

i'm sure the experts here will let you know about washing a new car, but i can tell you my friend messed hers up.

she bought a brand-new 4runner and had the dealer do the clear-coat thing (or whatever they call it). anyway, later she washed her car and ended up putting some pretty deep swirl marks into her paint. i'm not sure she ever got them fully out...even after professional detailing.

i don't know how she washed her car, but she's pretty anal so i know it wasn't just dumb neglect.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Elizabeth - To remove water spots, I've always been told to use a mixture of 50% white vinegar and 50% water. I've never had any water spots on my car to try it but I'm told that it works well.

One additional word on ZFX. This stuff is basically just a hardener. The real purpose of it is to harden/cure the polish much faster thus allowing you to put on another coat sooner. You don't have to use it. A coat of Z2/Z5 will take about 30 minutes to harden/cure with ZFX and about 6-7 hours to harden/cure without it.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Is there any rule about new-new cars? I recall something about not waxing it for a while to let the paint "cure".
Now that you mention that Jason, I remember my car dealer saying something about that too.

Whether it's true or not, I have no idea. Once again, a good one to ask the Zaino guys. (Geez...I sound like a broken record.) I'm *THINKING* Zaino would be safe, as it is not a wax, but a polish. Big difference. But best to check these things out before doing anything to a brand new car. :) The whole idea is to protect and enhance your vehicle...not cause harm!

I would suggest this... do NOT use a power/automated car wash (not even the "soft cloth" variety), and if you go to the self-serve washes with the spray guns, be very careful about using any soap-brushes. Make sure they are very clean, lest any particles from the previous user(s) are trapped in the fibers. Low-pressure rinse the vehicle to make sure any particles are washed away before you use the high-pressure settings.

Personally, with a brand new vehicle, I'd hand wash it with a bucket, sponge/shammy and a hose. That way I can be sure that nothing harmful will cause scratchs 'n swirls.

...guess what kind of car wash I'd recommend? ;)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Jason - I was always told the same thing about not waxing a new car but I later found out that there's no truth to it. In fact it's important that you put a good protective coat of wax/polish on it right away to keep the paint looking new. Most of the Vette owners I know even clay their brand new cars as soon as they get them because even new cars can have contaminants in their paint (paint overspray from the factory, rail dust, dirt, tar, etc. from being transported). Go ahead and give it the full treatment when you get it.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
That's right... especially about rail dust and overspray and such. I remember hearing about guys buying sportscars and clayin' 'em right away....

Michelle Schmid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michelle Holloway
i sent a check on saturday from ohio. how longs that stuff take to ship? arrive?
I want to know this, too--I sent my check on Sat., May 10 from Oregon. I realize I'm West Coast and they're East, so it'll take longer, but so far they haven't even cashed my check. I'd never heard of this stuff until this thread, (and have since done some more research) and am dying to try it on my '94 Camaro!

Based on testimonials here (HTF has never steered me wrong yet!), my further research, and those shiny pictures in previous posts (very nice!), I think this'll be the best $86.95 I've spent on my car yet. It just needs to get here!!!!!

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
They suggested squirting some Z6 on your applicator to help spread the Z2/Z5 a little thinner
Good tip. You can use water also - get your applicator wet so it doesn't just soak up the Z2/Z5. It took a little less than half of one of the ZFX bottles for one coat on my car (BTW - don't fill the bottle full or it'll be tough to mix - you can always mix a little more if you need to).

All I remember about shipping times is thinking that it was pretty quick for a snail-mail order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks