What's new

Your Favorite $600 Speakers (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Brad: If you are wanting loud, pounding music and HT, then the Maggies aren't for you. They aren't party speakers and they don't have a 'kick you in the guy' low end. What you get for $500 is a pair of speakers that bring you a presence, realism, and overall "you are there" experience that you won't find in any other speaker in that price range. Jack made a great comment above....when you utilize them within their limits, there is little they cannot do. In fact, they have completely redefined my HT experience to the point where I could not imagine having anything else in here - including the Paradigm studio/100s that I replaced with the Maggies.

Anyway, you're probably right in that these aren't for you...but there are also many misconceptions about what these wonderful speakers are truly capable of. What were limitations of Magnepans 20 years ago are absent today. Most professional reviewers note that the dynamics - both micro and macro - of these speakers have improved to the point where they nearly rival traditional box speakers. Maggies are not "loud and powerful SPL machines", that's for sure. But as far as dynamic transients that come along with certain types of music and HT? It's all there, bro....

Anyway, good luck with your choice :emoji_thumbsup:

Alan M

Second Unit
Edit(HEHE,I was typing this as Alan Z was making his post above.)If your looking for pure spl's,then yes,there are better choices for you(although my MMG,MMGW HT can go load enough to damage my hearing).

I always laugh when I hear people say Maggies arent good for action movies.Most of the movies I watch on dvd are action movies,and the surround sound effects on Maggies are a thing of beauty.Planes flying by,bullets whipping over your head are amazing on a Maggie HT.Listen to the crash scene in "flight of the Phoenix" on Maggies and you'll know what I mean.

My music tastes fall into the classic rock/blues/jazz catagories,and Maggies do great with these types of music.According to Maggie,the MMG's bottom end is at the 50hz mark,so yes,a sub is needed for explosions,pipe organs,etc.

Again,if its SPL maximun your looking for,Maggies may not be for you,but if its a speaker with quick response,a you are there quality,then Maggies might suit you.

If you couldnt tell already,I love my Maggies(dont tell my wife :D ),but they arent for everyone.Magnepan does have a 60 day return policy.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hey "M"! :D

Great minds think alike lol.....Actually, you reminded me of another point I wanted to make with what you said about action movies and why I can't imagine using any other speakers with HT. Here is the difference: With your typical box speaker (let's say it plays as loud and obnoxious as you like), you can hear all the explosions, crashes, planes, etc and think, "wow, that sounds awesome!". With Maggies, you hear the same explosions, crashes, and planes, but instead you are thinking "holy sh*t, there is a REAL friggin plane flying over my HT!". I mentioned it in another thread, but I'll throw it out here too since "M" got me all into the topic lol. There are some flicks with water scenes such as "Cast Away" and even the damn "Notebook" that I've recently watched. The Maggies make the water sound so realistic that you aren't "watching" the movie, but you are actually feeling like you are IN the water because of the realism. The scene in the Notebook was very subtle at first, so that was a very relaxing sort of effect. You hear the insects in the background and the water gently splashing up against the side of the boat. It was so effective, though, that you really felt like you were in the boat. Then it starts raining in the scene, and you experience the same type of feeling as you would if you were really in a boat getting rained on. It's just more of a visceral, REAL type of sensation you get for HT and I have been completely seduced by it.

Anyway, I'll shut up now....lol. I think I'd take MikeNg's suggestion and go with Klipsch, bro!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I like Maggies but to say they won't handle "explosions, pipe organs,etc., is leaving out a LOT of "etc".

They will not begin to do justice to the bass lines in most kinds of music. Tympanies at the classic end, and bass guitar and stand up bass at other points in the realm of music.

How bout cutting back on the fudge factor a bit? MMGs need a subwoofer for virtually everything.

It would be accurate to say that the MMG meets none of the original posters preferences or requirements:

1) Not floorstanders in the traditional sense.
2) Won't do justice to deep bass in any kind of music.
3) Won't do justice to most movies.

We know you guys love Maggies, but the prostylitizing is a bit much.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Arthur:

Where exactly did you see that we said MMGs were a good match for the original poster? Pretty sure we said they WEREN'T a match for him. As for what you said about Maggies, you're dead wrong. Go read some reviews on them, my friend. As for the low end, of course you need a subwoofer for HT. The MMGs are only rated down to 50Hz. But within their frequency response, the MMGs damn well do everything we said they do.

I've had my MMGs for a year now, first w/out a sub and now with an SVS PB-10. Alan M has an IB sub, if I remember correctly. I was using an SVS PB12-ISD/2 when I had my Paradigm Studio/100s!

What you maybe don't realize is that the MMGs are designed to be an appetizer, so to speak. Magnepan offers them factory direct at a ridiculous price, gives you time to try them out in your place, and takes them back if you don't want them. If you keep them, they give you a year to uprade to larger Maggies. It just so happens that some of us find that this wonderful speaker fits our needs well enough that we don't have a pressing need to upgrade. I'm sorry that you find that so bothersome, but it doesn't change the fact that it's true.

Jacob C

Second Unit
It sounds like I need to add the maggies to my list of speaker to audition. Right now I have Ascend 340's, Rocket 750 sigs (I know more expensive but seem like a deal at that price), and now the maggies.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit

The maggie MMGs are really neither, but'll whup butt on the average bookshelf speaker. They need some help with the bass. That's why someone invented the subwoofer. The MMGs were fine for a lot of stuff, but the subs really fill in the bottom...

I've got MMGs in my living room, with a sealed Q15 under each one.

They don't sound "loud," until you realize you can't have a conversation without shouting. That's _clean_. Far too many people mistake distortion for "loud."

They'll rock (but not really rawk), and are VERY nice with... bluegrass (maggie bass is CLEAN - combined with a lot of anal retentiveness with the subs, standup bass is just evil...), jazz (Brubeck rawks...), blues (I'm a nut about slide guitar), etc. etc... If it is a good recording, stuff sounds GREAT. If it's a crappy recording, people blame the speakers. Steely Dan good, Prince bad (which surprised me...).

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Chuck, do you happen to have any pics of the way you have your MMGs configured with the Q15s? That sounds like it would be friggin awesome :emoji_thumbsup:

BradScott

Auditioning
Okay, I may have to define what I mean by 'pounding' music, because I think there may be a misconception of what I'm looking for here. I'm not talking about heavy speed metal or anything — I mostly like classic rock and blues. I was getting the impression that the MMGs were really only suited to classical piano or jazz -- hence the use of the term 'pounding.' That said, I do want to experience the low-end of a bass guitar or kick drum to some extent. The sub would probably remedy that, though.

What I do appreciate most in music, however, is the texture and detail that I'm sure many speakers lack. I like being able to 'feel' acoustic guitar strums buried in the mix because the speakers are so detailed. That is where the Maggies have a certain appeal to me.

For those who have the Maggie MMGs in a HT setup, what do you recommend for a center and surrounds? Also, the MMGs are 4 ohms, right? I have a HK AVR-330 which will probably not work with them. What else do you recommend to drive the MMGs?

BTW, what is SPL?

Max F

Second Unit
How do the maggies sound with drums - you know snares and bass drums. Alot of the frequencies for drums are in the woofer range and not the sub range. I understand that a sub is needed but what about the 50-100hz range. Is the attack of a drum beat good with these speakers.

I would love to listen to them one of these days. I currently have Monitor Audio Bronze B4 which i really like. Bass on these guys can be a little out of control depending on the room. The Silver series are delightful.

Alan M

Second Unit
Hi guys,

Brad,

One disadvantage I will mention about Maggies.You said that ,like me,you listen to classic rock.MMG's are a very clear speaker,meaning that good recordings,like most Steely dan cd's sound great.On the other hand crap recordings sound much worse on Maggies.To my surprise,when I bought my Maggies,some of the older rock recordings I have(not recorded from the master),like my crosby ,stills,nash and young cd's sound miserable.

In my HT,I'm using MMG's as fronts,MMGW's as surrounds(as is Alan Z,Howdy Z),and an MMGC as a center.Sound pressure level(SPL).

Max,
My MMG's are crossed over at the 60hz.Drums that fall in the range of the MMG's abilities,sound terrific.Clear and precise(yes,I know these words are brandied about)

Again,I will state,Maggies are not the end all be all of $550 speaker pairs.They are not for everyone.An option for you all considering Maggies,might be to find your local Maggie dealer and go audition the 1.2's or 1.6's that they have setup.It will give you a taste of the Maggie sound.

Auditioning speakers is a vital step in making your HT purchase.I would never say to anyone,buy these speakers without an audition.

With the above statement,I'll also add,Maggies are truly a magical speaker.Let your ears be the judge,dont let me or anyone else talk you into a blind purchase.

BTW,my Maggie HT is powered by an Outlaw 7100 amp(165 wpc @4ohms x7).

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Yep, many people would consider that a drawback of the MMGs - the fact that they will reveal a poorly recorded disc. On the other hand, when you do have a nicely recorded one, it is absolute magic :emoji_thumbsup:

As for amplification, I agree with 'M'.....you can probably get away with certain receivers that are rated to 4Ohms, but ideally you want at least 100 watts of good, clean power from an outboard amp. If you already have a receiver, you can easily find a nice used 2-channel amp off Ebay or Audiogon that will get the job done. These speakers are one of the few where many people actuallyspend more on the gear than they do the speaker. That's because the Maggies will respond to what you feed them with. I think part of why I've loved mine so much is the fact that I give them 300 watts (4 Ohms) each from my Outlaw monoblocks. I get all the punch and slam that I need with these things.

Here's a really stupid example, but it gets the point made....yesterday I was playing "Meet the Parents" for my mom and grandmother. If you've seen this film, there is a scene where they are playing volleyball in the water. Well, on one or two of the hits, the *SMACK* of the hand on the ball was so crisp and impactful that my mom actually leapt back in her chair lol. It was pretty funny.....but when you combine impact with realism, the effect is pretty amazing.

PS. Brad, just to answer your other question, the best center that Magnepan currently offers - the CC3 - has been called by at least one professional reviewer the BEST center he's EVER heard in ANY price range. AlanM can definitely tell you about the MMG-C; as far as I remember, he's pretty happy with it. I've heard the CC3 at my local shop, and I can vouch for the fact that it sounds great. I run my HT with a phantom center, but those who like a center speaker can rest assured that Magnepan offers a very good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks