What's new

Your current GAS list? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I finally put in my pre-order for the new S50Art lens tomorrow morning (decided to order it from BHPhoto, and they have been down due to Passover for the past week or so.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Cameron Yee said:
I would, but it creates a significant cascade of glass upgrades on top of the body purchase. First and foremost would be the 17-55mm f/2.8 EF-S. I would probably also want to trade out the 85mm f/1.8 for a 135mm. Hence my choice to be satisfied with what I have. :)
I guess this is where Nikon has an advantage where you can still use DX lenses on their FF bodies... at least until you're ready to upgrade whichever lenses you find need.

The D800, in particular, seems like Nikon might really have had that in mind. I've been using my 17-55mm DX f/2.8 on it in 1.2x crop mode for the last couple weeks, and it's working out quite well even if not exactly ideal -- 1.2x crop still yields ~25MP images, and DX crop yields ~15MP. In 1.2x crop, there's a little bit of vignetting until circa 24mm-on-up, and I find the little bit of vignetting from circa 21mm to 24mm acceptable most times in my case -- well, I do also have to remove the lens hood at these wide angles most times as the hood can add to the vignetting. At 21-to-22mm, 1.2x crop yields roughly the same FOV as 17mm in DX crop, and 24mm in 1.2x crop is equiv to ~29mm FF. I do also have a Sigma 20mm f/1.8 FF prime, but haven't felt a real need for it so far. Then again, I don't usually shoot landscapes, and I'd think the vignetting would be more problematic for that...

For the school musical that my son's in right now, I've also found it helpful to be able to switch quickly between FF, 1.2x and DX crops in the camera, particularly while shooting video and using my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 (and can't really move around much). Video doesn't need the extra MPs although I'm not sure if IQ is impacted anyway due to use of cropped portion of sensor...

Anyway, at this point, I don't really feel compelled to buy new glass yet. Yeah, would be nice to replace the 85 f/1.8 w/ a 105mm or 135mm prime, but I'm finding that not so necessary anymore -- well, I do have an old 105 f/2.8 manual micro prime, but that's quite diff. For one thing, f/2.8 (or even f/4) is usually fast/open enough on the larger sensor before overly shallow DoF becomes an issue, and I do have most of my shooting range covered w/ f/2.8 glass, if not better.

_Man_

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well, after having stated I was pretty satisfied with my current kit, Canon went and announced a new lens that intrigued me enough to place a pre-order -- a EF 16-35mm f/4.0L IS ultra-wide angle. This would be an upgrade over my EF 17-40mm f/4.0L, which I will sell if the new lens ships in time for our summer trip to Alaska. If it doesn't, I will cancel the order.

From the charts, it looks like this lens will be a lot sharper in the corners than my 17-40L, which is its biggest weakness. It keeps the same 77mm filter size, which works perfectly for me. While I do not need image stabilization in an UWA very often, it will come in handy for those times I want to travel light when hiking and not carry a tripod, or when taking photos on a boat/ship, where a tripod is pretty much useless.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm still on back-order purgatory for the Sigma 50mm ART lens. Boo!

I have the 17-40mm (my friend actually shoots with it more than me), but I don't shoot enough of it to warrant even peeking over at the 16-35 F/4 IS coming out from Canon. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick Sun said:
I'm still on back-order purgatory for the Sigma 50mm ART lens. Boo!

I have the 17-40mm (my friend actually shoots with it more than me), but I don't shoot enough of it to warrant even peeking over at the 16-35 F/4 IS coming out from Canon. :D
Oh, come on Patrick, you know you want that new Canon lens. Succumb to its call. :lol:

Seriously, I do not shoot a lot of utlra wide angle, either, but with the 16-35L getting into wide angle range at its long end, it should be an improvement over my 24-105L in the 24-36mm range, too. I shoot a lot of landscapes in that range. Right now, I use the 24-105L more in this range, as the 17-40L is about the same quality of lens.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking I might not get my "pre-order" under the fall if I'm lucky, so hopefully that means I'll get to use it at Dragon Con. Otherwise, the roll-out was a supeb bust on Sigma's part.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
I have the Eye of Sauron 14-24 and it's my least used lens...
Canon is rumored to be working on a similar 12-24mm or 14-24mm f/2.8 lens. Personally, I would rather have more focal length overlap between my ultra-wide angle and my 24-105L "normal" zooms as I work a lot in that 24-40mm range. Also 16mm or 17mm has been wide enough for me, and I really do not need f/2.8 in this type of lens (I use it for landscapes).

Rokinon makes a manual focus 14mm f/2.8 prime lens in Canon and Nikon mounts for around $300 if I ever felt the need for a faster ultra-wide. It would definitely be a specialty lens, so the price is much more attractive than what Canon would charge (or Nikon currently charges) for these fast UWA zooms.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You guys sure buy and sell a lot of gear. Where do you usually sell the stuff you don't want anymore? I'm having a severe GAS attack myself, but wondered if there was anywhere good other than eBay to sell these days. Their fees sure have gotten high.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
John,

I have sold items locally to other photographers I know, as well as online at a Canon forum where I am a member. I also have sold a couple of items to KEH.com. They are very reputable, and they pay close to what you can get via ebay or the user forum once you figure in Paypal and shipping charges (KEH pays shipping and will send you a check). The online photography site FredMiranda.com is another place where a lot of people buy and sell equipment, but there is a charge to use the site to sell equipment, and I have never sold anything there.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for the tip on KEH. I've traded in some lenses through Amazon's trade in program. In some cases, Amazon's quotes are comparable if not a bit better than KEH, but of course you are locked into spending your funds on Amazon if they accept the trade.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Cameron,

I have been very impressed with KEH.com. You grade the lens yourself and they give you a quote, a return authorization number, and a UPS shipping label. Once they receive the lens, they will contact you and let you know if they agree with your assessment of the lens. If they agree, they will send you a check for the quoted amount. If not, they will tell you their grading and the new price. You have the option to either accept the new price, or they will return the lens at KEH's cost.

KEH actually offered me more money for the last lens I sent them than originally quoted, and I rated the condition of the lens very high -- whatever their rating just below "new" is. I sent in the original box and packing material along with the lens, which may have been the reason, but I was still impressed.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
FredMiranda is the only place I trust to buy and sell gear.

I have not been to FM in about a year tho cause I don't want to be tempted to buy anything new =) So things may be different there today...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Finally acquired that Sigma 50mm ART lens (got a tip another place had them in stock in Las Vegas, so I ordered a copy, and once I received it, I promptly canceled my pre-order with B&H. Only got to shoot with it for a little bit over the weekend at a con, but out of the box, the AF tracks pretty well with no MFA yet. I'll fine-tune it once I get some time, but I have a boatload of photos to go through until I get some free time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Glad to hear you finally got your Siggy 50mm, Patrick. Looking forward to seeing some samples.

I just cancelled my order for the EF 16-35L f/4 IS with Adorama. They still had none in stock, so it looked like I would not receive the lens before our trip. I re-ordered from B&H Photo, who had them in stock. I should have the lens on Monday.

Anyone want to buy a 17-40L f/4? ;)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Excellent!

Sorry to be technical, but I'm curious. Soft Box or Umbrella?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks