What's new

You know it's too cold out when: (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member

This was done this morning where my roommate works. Full glass of warm water. Freezes before it even hits the ground :p)

For those curious it was a little below -40C with a windchill making it feel like it was in the mid -50C range when this was done.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
and why wasnt he wearing a hat or gloves? i'd be afraid of that kind of temperature. i once heard that if it is -30F, and the wind speed is 30 mph, exposed flesh FREEZES in 30 seconds. not just frostbite, it freezes. or so i hear. that is a pretty cool picture though.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Hehe, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I've done quick walks with exposed flesh between buildings that lasted longer than 30secs in temps twice that cold and never had it result in frost bite.

Plus I'm positive he wasn't outside for more than 2 min. Neither of us would be out there for more than that time period without proper attire, that's for sure though.

Also it's my roommate's boss, hope he doesn't mind his pic on the internet ;)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
hey i never said my source was rock solid :) it was one of those things i heard a while ago and i just never forgot it. thankfully, i had never been in temperatures that cold to test it either!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The very rapid skin freeze times get quoted up here in grade schools and on the radio as well. Just cause it's not completely true though doesn't mean we don't have to be careful with these temps. Thankfully I've never had to deal with frost bite, but I've seen the results of those who have. Not pretty.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dustin, great pic, this cold weather here in S'toon sure does suck! This is my first REAL winter in MANY years, and I really miss the balmy winters of Kelowna, but hey, this is a great city to be living in :)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Sheesh, and here I am whining about how the airconditioning in the office is too cold -- it's probably about 21C in here... it's been raining almost non-stop here for the past week, hence lower than usual temperatures.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
But what about the wind? He didn't just mention the temperature.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
There was a two week span where I walked just over 10 min to and from school in my first year of university where the temp would be between -42C (-43F) and -48C (-54F) with a windchill between -55C (-67F) and -65C (-85F) . The bridge of my nose and eyes were exposed. And I'd walk (well walk quickly) between buildings on campus without covering my head. Never got frost bite.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Wind chill doesn't really get into the dangerous category until the air temperature is in the single digits above 0F. Obviously, it then gets really dangerous when the air temperature is below 0F. Using that 30F/30mph example, the wind chill would only be 15F, which wouldn't be bad at all. As an example, I was walking for about a half hour or so in 12F wind chill with snow falling Tuesday night, and I wasn't that cold at all, considering.

To see the wind chill chart, http://www.weather.gov/om/windchill/windchill.gif

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Jeeze, and I was just bitchin' at the 1F on the bank clock today.... from now on, I'll say to myself "at least I don't live in Saskatchewan." :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks