1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

You guys see the size of this hog ?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Alex-C, May 25, 2007.

1. Alex-C

Alex-C Well-Known Member

Maybe I am showing my naivete, but I didnt even know things like this existed. I know there are wild hogs. I may have dated a few...I kid, I kid, but they might as well have posted a picture of big foot (and I dont mean Andre the Giant in half a bear suit).

[​IMG]

I mean look at that thing. You could feed a family for half a year, then again, I dont know how hog tastes...I suppose it tastes like chick...derr, I mean, like pig.

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Well-Known Member

Dennis
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/25/mon...ion=cnn_latest The photo is deceiving in that the guy is an 11 year old kid.

Well the kid had some backup, but still....handgun hunting something like that? I would have used my biggest bore rifle - 8mm Mauser - and kept the bayonet on just for a backup.

3. Scott W.

Scott W. Well-Known Member

I can't believe it went on living so long and never found out. Woah, saw it here and on local news as well.

Scott

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Ah, the thrill of torturing an animal to death.[​IMG]

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

Yeah, you gotta love the "I probably won't ever kill anything else that big." line [​IMG].

Life just ain't worth livin' unless you kill something big. [​IMG]

6. BrianB

BrianB Well-Known Member

Here's another photo, not quite as impressive looking as that first photo, must be some funky perspective maybe?

[​IMG]

7. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Well-Known Member

Francois Caron
    Hey kid! There are elephants at the zoo! Is that big enough for ya? [​IMG]

Can you imagine the size of the strips of bacon off that hog? Homer would drool over that! [​IMG]

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    That kid isn't exactly "skinny" himself...and at only 11 years old. Maybe he should lower his sausage consumption.

9. bobbyg2

bobbyg2 Well-Known Member

After killing that thing, his sausage consumption will be going through the roof! [​IMG]

10. MarkHastings

Oh, so we AREN'T supposed to be looking at the kid? [​IMG]

11. RyanAn

RyanAn Well-Known Member

It's nice to see a father and son bonding over the hanging corpse of a half ton animal.

Brings back memories of me, my "Uncle Pablo" and mom.

Thems the days, thems the days.

ry

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Interesting. I saw the first picture (Post #1) in the NYC newspapers over the weekend. I showed to my father (a longtime hunter) and we had the usual discussions over the facts of the article...11-year old kid...50-caliber handgun...eight rounds...canned hunt...etc.

But I was absolutely overwhelmed by the size of the boar in the picture.

My wife laughed at me. She said you must be obsessed with big pigs. She reminded me that I had once paid $2 at a county fair to see a "1000-pound pig"! The pig I saw (who knows how much it really weighed...looked much closer to the pig in Post #6.

Bottom line. Now I'm starting to wonder if the picture in Post #1 was doctored? I hate to suggest it...but there's no way that boy could be standing up and leaning on that pig...if it is the size it is in Post #6! The wild boar in Post #1 looks positively prehistoric!

Look at the size of the kid's head to the pig's head in each of the pictures. There's something funky going on! I would take the "perspective" defense...but in each of these pictures the pig and the kid look to be in pretty close proximity to each other.

13. Scott_J

Scott_J Well-Known Member

I also saw the picture in yesterday's paper (before seeing this thread) and was shocked at the size of the thing.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Well-Known Member

That's hunting. Animals do the same thing to other animals on the chase.

[on my soapbox]I love all of the indignation people have about hunting; especially ones (and I'm not addressing this at you, Jonny, because I don't know you or your living situation) that have moved into these sprawling housing developments on the very forests and farmland where these animals used to live. Why are deer eating your bushes? Because the habitat they used to live on is your neighborhood.

Hunting isn't the problem, it's the solution. Helps keep populations to sustainable levels for their shrinking habitats. Starvation is a far worse torture than a couple hour chase, which is unfortunate.[/off my soapbox]

That said, I did feel sort of bad about the boar. It's like the mythical fish that everyone purports to have almost caught at the local fishing hole. Anything that gets that epic deserves to die of old age.

EDIT: I just read the article in question, and how the boy and his father could have finished it off at any point. That being the case, I'm with Johnny 100%. That's cruel torture. Everyone that I know who hunts ALWAYS goes for the clean kill.

15. MarkHastings

That's probably beacuse they are "Hunters". I hate the fact that people consider themselves "Hunters" just because they can shoot a gun at an animal. I guarantee you that many animals are tortured because of idiots who think they are "Hunters". [​IMG]

16. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Well-Known Member

I'm not about to make the kid with the .50 caliber hand-cannon do the truffle shuffle.

17. Holadem

Holadem Well-Known Member

That first picture, once you get beyond the initial awe (and horror) starts to look a bit strange, in light of the second one. It think the kid is standing much further back than the picture suggests. If he is leaning against the hog, then he must have disproportionately long legs...

--
    H

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis

Let's just say that I considerably outgun him.....

"OK punk, eat your broccoli!" [​IMG]

19. Ennsio

Ennsio Well-Known Member

I think you're right. Looking at it again, the kid is sitting/standing next to the tree, which also looks like it could be 4-5 feet behind the pig. The photographer would have chosen the camera angle that makes it look like the kid is leaning on the pig, when in fact he isn't (which a closer look at the picture seems to confirm). If that is the case, then there is clearly a distorted perspective going on, and the size of the pig fits more closely with the pic in post 6.

20. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

I agree, in the first pic you can tell by the boy's posture that he has one of his leg's propped up on something (a stump perhaps) so I do think that he is a few feet behind the hog....but even in the second pic that pig is rather large, just not Mysterious Island large. [​IMG]