What's new

You can now upgrade your DVD's to HD using Vudu's At Home Disc to Digital (1 Viewer)

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Joshua Clinard said:
I don't care if you believe me or not. I would love to work for vudu, I think that would be a great job. I am completing my last semester in college to get my associates degree in Computer Networking. And I just got out of the Navy 6 months ago. Check my facebook if you don't believe me. I just really want a lot of people to use UV, because Disney has said they might join in UltraViolet if it goes mainstream. And I really want them to join so I can Disc to Digital my Disney collection. They are my favorite So I am trying to help it along. Iv'e been a member of this forum for 10 years. But apparently people here don't think much of my opinion, so I think I'll just post somewhere else. They seem to be a lot more receptive to UV over at DVDTalk, blu-ray forums.com and AVSForum.
Right now Vudu is giving 10 free movies when u join!!! But they don't let u choose just any DVD or Blu-Ray, they have a select list. But u might find some u like! I have being using thier service since they started. There are some problems, like I have a very Wide Screen Blu of A Star Is Born, it is Pan & scan on their sight!!! very grainey also??? Also other ones, I called & was told it was the age of the films!!!??? So right now I am hoping to see an inprovement on their end. Oh, & yes I tried to let them know about all the great new stuff to make movies look like NEW & not cut off the sides of films!. I don't understand why the studios would send these bad or pan & scan copies to start a new $$$ money making plan? Any way it's great if U have kids, no lost dvd's, and u don't have to carry them with U. As long as u have high speed internet anywhere in the world u have most of your Dvd's & Blus!!! :D Also U can upgrade Dvd's to high def.:D

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I believe the ability to delete films directly from your account is a feature that will be added soon, according to one of their FAQ's. And you don't need to open a ticket with two companies, just the one you got the 10 free movies from, which is vudu. They should respond quickly. Also, they don't just put movies in your account without your permission, they do it when you click on "Earn Free Movies" by linking your account to Facebook, twitter, or sending SMS messages to friends. And some of the movies a lot of people like. I can't believe you don't like Pay It Forward. Great movie. I also got 17 Again, The Notebook, and Austin Powers, which I like. Then I got a couple I didn't want, so I asked for them to be deleted. No biggie if you ask me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Mac need not apply; also, got disc drive? If you're a Mac user, you're out of luck. The required Vudu To Go 2 software is only available for the PC (Mac users can use Vudu To Go 1 for download and playback of movies, however). You're also out of luck if you don't have a machine that can read DVDs and/or Blu-ray discs. Laptops now often omit these types of drives, which once were standard equipment." Doesn't work with Mac, iOS, and requires me to buy a Blu-ray player i dont need. Maybe next year?

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
His headline is more than a little misleading. He actually praised the service in several areas. His biggest complaints were that it's not yet available for the Mac, and that not enough titles are available. Duh! The service is still in it's infancy, and it's also a beta. So because of that, it isn't fully baked? Let's look at this logically. There are more than 8,500 titles available. How many titles have to be available for it to be fully baked? Let's say 10,000. By that logic, DVD would not have been fully baked for at least 4 years after it's launch! In April of 2001, there were only about 10,000 titles available on DVD, according to the bits. And Blu-Ray only has 7,400 titles, according to DVD Release Report. So if we compare apples to apples, then it looks like UV has a much faster growth rate. At this rate, 20,000 titles could be available by 2014.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Vudu has more movies than Bluray. But doesn't have all the movies on Blu, like Iron Man or Better Off Dead. That doesn't make sense.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Josh: it's "quality," not "quantity." Nobody cares of there are 10,000 movies available if the services isn't great and the majority of those movies are ADAM SANDLER'S EIGHT CRAZY NIGHTS and JUWANNA MAN. The service isn't perfect. Relax. It's not the end of the world.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Joshua Clinard said:
Actually both Iron Man and Iron Man 2 are available on Vudu. I happen to have the first one myself.
Ok. The article said it wasn't available for disc conversion. I guess it's there for purchase in some other way?

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I believe they used to be available, but aren't any longer. Unless I'm mistaken. Which has happened before. But I think that's it.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
IronMan and IronMan 2 are for sale on vudu, but they aren't UV enabled or Disc 2 Digital. They were when Disc 2 Digital first launched, but then Disney acquired the distribution rights, and yanked them away. The people that had already purchased them were able to keep them. The same thing happened with The Avengers and some other Marvel films.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Joshua Clinard
but then Disney acquired the distribution rights, and yanked them away. The people that had already purchased them were able to keep them.
That right there is one of my biggest concerns with the whole concept of a "digital locker". Recent years have seen quite a bit of studio reorganization (MGM, anyone?) and movie rights changing hands.
Whose to say all studios will "grandfather in" previous digital versions of a movie they just paid lots of cash for the rights to?
If I keep my discs, no one can "yank them away" from me. Ever. Until there is a guarantee that I have just as much "ownership" of my digital copy as I do my physical copy (i.e. in perpetuity), I will not consider switching my movie collection to purely digital.
In other words, for me "digital" remains analogous to "disposable".

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Once you own it you own it. The only thing they yanked away was the option for new customers to buy UV rights to a film. The people who already had it still have it in their vudu accounts, and as far as I know in their UV lockers as well. But since Disney did that, I refuse to buy anything from them, including physical media, until they join the UV ecosystem. Probably by early 2014 this will happen.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
There have already been reports of content disappearing from people's lockers for whatever reason. There was a thread about it recently on Blu-ray.com I believe. Something still showed in someone's account, but it was "unavailable for streaming" for whatever reason. And there have been reports in the press about content disappearing from other types of "digital" accounts - most notably from Amazon Kindle users.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Joshua Clinard
But since Disney did that, I refuse to buy anything from them, including physical media, until they join the UV ecosystem. Probably by early 2014 this will happen.
This will be interesting, too. It has been mentioned many times how one of the "big holdouts" for UV has been Disney and how it will be a huge benefit for UV when they finally come on board - certainly due to the extensive and high-demand catalog that it brings to the UV table.
However, from the standpoint of the skeptical consumer, if there was ANY studio that would pull the kind of shenanigans we're most concerned with and that have been discussed at length around here, I would think it would be Disney.
They have always held their products "ransom" to consumers - putting titles on moratorium being just one example, their generally higher prices being another.
Time will tell.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Joshua Clinard said:
Once you own it you own it. The only thing they yanked away was the option for new customers to buy UV rights to a film. The people who already had it still have it in their vudu accounts, and as far as I know in their UV lockers as well. But since Disney did that, I refuse to buy anything from them, including physical media, until they join the UV ecosystem. Probably by early 2014 this will happen.
You keep on using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means. UV (like Apple's Fairplay) is a LICENSING SCHEME. It is not ownership in any sense of the word. Also: We still have no reason to believe Disney will ever join UV and as far as I can tell there is no significant consumer cry for them to do so.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
There have been reports of titles with a status of "unavailable for streaming" from some people's Amazon Instant Video accounts, but the title is still there. As far as I am aware, that hasn't happened with vudu or UV. Every title may not be available for purchase, during it's HBO or rental only window, but people who already purchased the title are still able to stream it with UV. So yes, I do know what ownership means. I'd rather own the movie, than just own the physical media it sits on. UV is a paradigm shift away from that old model.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's not ownership if you can't resell it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine Anything else is just a license to use. Technological paradigm shifts don't miraculously change the law.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Joshua Clinard said:
I'd rather own the movie, than just own the physical media it sits on. UV is a paradigm shift away from that old model.
You're right that it's a shift away from the old model, but not in the way that you just described. You don't own "the movie." You own a license to view that movie over the UV system. That's all. I only speak for myself hear, but I'd rather own the physical media that the movie sits on because at least then I own a think that I can see and touch (and resell).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks