What's new

You can now upgrade your DVD's to HD using Vudu's At Home Disc to Digital (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
404 - Page Not Found The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again. If you think this is a server error, please contact support. Click here to return to the home page.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I got the beta invite, too. I mean, I don't see how this could be useful to me at all. Anything I already own I can already rip myself in a format that I can do whatever I want with in minutes, for free. *shrugs* I just don't think this is for me.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I tried that route. I tried DVD shrink for years. I loved it. But it took so much time. like 4+ hours per movie. And that was just to copy it to another DVD. But later I wanted to play those files on my computer. I started downloading torrents. Had bout 200 movies on my hard drive. But the quality of most of the files was less than a DVD. So then I tried handbrake. Could never get one to come out at DVD quality. It was so complicated. What settings to use? One pass or two? Which output format? So many things could go wrong. Then I heard about Disc to Digital. Just take my disc to Wal-Mart, and they auto-rip it for me, in a format that is both high quality, and will play on any device I want? Awesome.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Joshua Clinard said:
I tried that route. I tried DVD shrink for years. I loved it. But it took so much time. like 4+ hours per movie. And that was just to copy it to another DVD.
Joshua, you were doing something wrong, or you have the slowest computer known to man. Using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink(BOTH FREE) I can backup a 2 hour movie in about 15 minutes. When this first came out it was stupid and a waste of money, and it still is.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Yeah, Handbrake is way easier to use than you're making it sound. I just tried it - a total of three mouse clicks (not counting launching the program) and thirteen minutes later and job well done.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Handbrake itself may be easy, but it won't convert a DVD with copy protection, which all of my movies have. So now I have to go find a program to remove copy protection. I used to use DVDShrink, and it worked fine, but it took 2 to 3 hours. I just got tired of doing that.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Not trying to sway you one way or the other (let's just be a couple of people talking in this thread, and assume that we've never had disagreements about anything else in the past): How old is your computer? When I got my new PC after not upgrading in a moderately decent amount of time, I was *shocked* how much faster certain specific things got. Namely, video rendering essentially tripled in speed and optical disc ripping also got much, much faster. And also, certain programs are essentially easier than easy. After you install them, you don't actually have to do anything. You just leave them running. It is entirely automated these days. It's really nice, to be honest.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
My computer is a Sony Vaio, and it's only a little over two years old. It has an Intel Core Duo Processor that runs at 2.2 GHz. And I am using DVDShrink to decrypt The Incredibles, and it says it will take 1.5 hours. And that's just decrypting it. Then I rip it with handbrake. It may be automated somewhat, but I still have to wait for it to finish and come back later and complete more steps. Too much of a hassle to do that for the more than one hundred films I have left that I want digital copies of. Much easier to put a DVD into a drive, open the Vudu D2D app, and have my digital copy ready to stream or download in 30 seconds. For someone with a large collection already in iTunes, I can see why you would want to stick with it, but for others who may just be starting movie collections, I think vudu and UV is the way to go.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm intrigued. Ripping and transcoding a DVD for iPad use takes about 4 hours on my 5 yr old laptop. But this VUDU is $2 a dsc? How about TV series; does it deal with multiple episodes per disc? But it's moot for now. PC only, no Mac software.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
You know what, that's an excellent question. From what I can tell, it would still be "per disc." And keep in mind if you're upgrading from DVD to HD, it's going to be more money. It wouldn't be "per episode" or anything like that, just per disc. So in that case, it might be more financially responsible of you to just purchase a season of a show from Vudu or someplace outright, as you're accomplish the same thing for less money.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Yeah, that's silly. I don't know why they wouldn't work up some kind of plan for TV shows? Seems like a home run. Oh well.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
My movie finally finished ripping. Took about an hour and a half. The quality is terrible using the default settings. What do you use.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Okay, first I have to know what you're talking about. What program are you dealing with at the moment: AnyDVD, Handbrake, something else? I don't understand why decrypting and ripping are two different processes for you.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I suggest the conversation be moved over to PM or email or other means :) HTF rules prohibit discussing ripping DVDs & Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks