What's new

You’re not supposed to use alcohol to clean your cassette deck, right? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Thinking about those maxell bricks, and the arguments like we have now with dvd players (maxell vs. tdk, and then adding sony, basf, etc, and metal vs. chrome, etc.) ahh, those were the days. I love tapes! Remember those briefcase like 30 tape cases, and in high school you were the contents of your tape case, and you would spend hours reorganizing it? ahh...

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Kevin: I remember ooohh to well. The Maxell XLII-S 100 and the Sony UX-Pro 90 were my favorites. I remember one time after school I accidentally left my "suitcase" on top of the car and drove out of the parking lot. Luckily, the case didn't pop open and I just had to replace a few plastic cassette holders. Man....I was so pissed off that I had done something so stupid. It never happened again though.

Yee: Now that I've got a working tape deck again I'm playing back compilation tapes from as far back as 81 & 83. Scary.....I know. They sound ok, BUT my tapes my tapes made after 93' recorded in Dolby C still sound very good on this new deck! I even dug out my Head Demagnetizer, but the battery is dead of course.

Kevin B: Used to know an engineer that worked for Honeywell and lived in California.

Racheal: Good info, thanks Rach!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It's been awhile, but I used to clean my heads with Everclear. Dunno if this is advisable, so don't rush off to the liquor store, but it seemed to work.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Speaking of the old Maxell bricks, I still get them, but I do have a purpose for them, it is a very convenient and cheap method of making practice session recordings from the board.

You can still find the tape cleaning 'fluid' at Rat Shack and most electronic stores that still sell the tape bricks. At least around here.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Rachel is 100% correct. Go for the 91% version, not the 70% rubbing alcohol. Most 70% I've seen contains lanolin. That's the goo that stays behind...

Bob Segno

Agent
Speaking of cassettes.I just found an old box I didn't know I had in the garage about two weeks ago with recordings as early as 1969!The rest were from mostly the seventies.Like a kid in a candy store I played them on my Nakamichi DR-10.Truth be told, they sounded pretty damn good after all these years.A little more bass then I would like, but I played them without any noise reduction and they honestly come real close to CD quality. Of course I don't feel CD's are a match to anything analog. Just my opinion being from the old school and still use my reel-reel(Teac) and my cassette deck for transfering from cd's to get a better sound.Who said analog is dead! And yes, I have a turntable and albums too....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks