What's new

yht 298 (1 Viewer)

0337_v

Auditioning
Real Name
Usman Vali
Hi All, New to this site as I am having problems with my yht 298 I am not getting any sound from my unit I have a LG 42LM670 TV and have connected this at moment to the YHT 298 but am not getting any sound from the unit. I have enabled the TV so it accepts ARC but still no joy. I have connected my iPhone to it and get sound what could be the problem that I am not able to trace. New to this so go easy and thanks in advance.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ARC is not guranteed to work between brands...as it requires CEC to be "on" and CEC itself is not an industry standard.

Connect a toslink from the TV to the 298, forget ARC.

Also, what sources are you using? Can you connect them to the 298?

0337_v

Auditioning
Real Name
Usman Vali
Hi Schan1269 I am new to all this so what do you mean by Toslink and at moment I am not using any sources but will be connecting a 3d blu ray player later on or should I connect it all together so it is all done in one go?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The problem with using toslink (optical) is that you'll only get stereo, not surround sound. So while ARC may not work for you in the end (because of the diffrent manufactureers), make sure you've done everything correctly before giving up on it. The usual mistake is not "turing on" ARC during the Yamaha set-up.

0337_v said:
... at moment I am not using any sources but will be connecting a 3d blu ray player later on or should I connect it all together so it is all done in one go?
You should connect the BR to the receiver for the reason I gave above. If you connect it to the TV to make things "simple", you'll lose surround sound.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He'll get 5.1 off the internal tuner. Which is apparently his only source...other than the "Smart features"...

Those will be stereo or not, regardless of the toslink/ARC.

Makes zero difference if you use ARC or a toslink.

0337_v

Auditioning
Real Name
Usman Vali
So what you guys are saying to me is that I will not get surround sound from the 298 watching tv or brp?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
He'll get 5.1 off the internal tuner. Which is apparently his only source...other than the "Smart features"...
Yes, my bad; the TV tuner does sent the surround signal through the optical. (I'm away for a couple of weeks and I get stupid.)

So what you guys are saying to me is that I will not get surround sound from the 298 watching tv or brp?
But this is not true for any other device connected to the TV first. So connect the BR directly to the receiver (at least the audio, but if you're using HDMI for the connection the video comes along for the ride).

0337_v

Auditioning
Real Name
Usman Vali
I am going to connect the br by hdmi straight to the 298 and was wondering would I still get picture to the tv, as I am having problems with the sound didnt want the same with picture ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You are having problems cause you haven't set it up properly.If you understood "run a toslink", you'd no longer be confused, everything would work...and the "sun will come out tomorrow..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks