What's new

Yet another console dilemma thread (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
As a Dreamcast fan I am now considering buying one of the "next generation" consoles. Normally I would have no difficulty going with the XBox over the PS2 if not for the fact I love fighting games and the Virtua Fighter series especially. It would be great if I knew that XBox would be getting a version of VF, but there seems to be very little news on that subject. I like Dead or Alive but I think it lacks depth and replayability compared to VF. Any advice to help me decide on which console to buy first would be appreciated.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think you've answered your own question. Since you like the VF series a lot, esp. over the DOA franchise, get the PS2.

I own an XBox and DOA3, and never liked the VF series, so my deicision was a no-brainer, as yours seems to be. I know of no indication that VF is coming out for XBox, but SEGA is an XBox developer (Gun Valkyrie, JSRF, others). If you can't find info on VF for the XBox, try searching for whether or not PS2 has exclusivity for VF. If they do, that's your answer. If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised to see the VF franchise eventually make its way to the XBox, especially with sales in light of the recent price drop.

I don't have figures, but I know I was in Best Buy for 10 minutes last weekend buying a game, and I saw no less than 4 people with new XBoxes in their shopping carts.

But if you VF is your passion, pick up a PS2.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The one time the decision was easy was when I bought my Dreamcast. It kind of irks me that the game I want seems to be exclusive to the last system I would buy. It sort of takes the excitement out of the purchase...or am I just being too negative about the PS2?

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I think you might be being a bit negative toward the PS2. I own all 3 systems and the PS2 has many great games. However, if you are a SEGA fan (are you?), then I would go with an X-box. Microsoft is getting the brunt of the great SEGA games (Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, and possibley Sonic as well).

-Dean-

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If money were no object then I would probably buy both consoles, but as it is I should only buy one for now. I think ultimately it boils down to what I would be coveting more. If I buy the PS2 I would be coveting the XBox hardware. If I have to choose between what I'd rather covet, I'd rather covet a game as opposed to an entire system. And I think there is a decent chance some version of VF will find its way to the XBox.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Cameron: You seem to be struggling with this. First you say that the games are important, and now you're saying it's the hardware. You gotta make up your mind or else you'll be disappointed either way.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I am reminded of a story my high school history teacher told me about how tortured some of his students felt in trying to decide on colleges. The observation he made was that often the decision was one between good and good and that ultimately whatever the decision it would be a good one for particular reasons. One just has to decide and deal with it from there. Thanks for the input and sort of showing me how much I was overthinking it.

Stephen L

Second Unit
Any choice you make will be a good one.I just purchased a X-Box to replace my PS2.I went throught 2 PS2's , 1st ones laser went 2 weeks after I purchased it. I returned it to the store for a replacement but this went went belly up.I didn't want to spend the $119 to fix it so I went with the box.We also have a GCN.I like all 3 systems.i highly recommend an extended warranty.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Stephen: Sucks that you had bad luck with the PS2. I haven't had any problems with my unit which I got on launch day. I've had my Xbox lock up on me a couple times, and I got some disk errors from it, which is getting me worried. My Gamecube hasn't done a single weird thing.

My iPod, on the other hand... now that's a different annoying story for another board.

steveC

Grip
This is from teamxbox.com. Might be helpful in your decision making.

" CVG reported earlier last night that Virtua Fighter 4 is in development for the Xbox, and not only the PS2 platform. Our friends from OXM UK have now confirmed that an Xbox version of VF 4 is in the works. They spoke to sources close to Sega this morning, who confirmed that the title is in development - although there's no official word on extras just yet. "

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
About the PS2 problems...

I heard someone filed a complaint with some government agency that Sony was making defective products so people would pay a lot of money to get them fixed and then told Sony about it to get their PS2 fixed for free. It worked.

My PS2 has a problem reading some DVD games every once in a while, but I haven't experienced any other problems.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
When's that story about VF XBox from? Before E3, there were rumours of a "VF Evolution" coming for the Xbox. It was announced as an arcade update of VF4 - VF4.1 basically. Sega said no home versions were planned.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I think VF4 is one of those pseudo-exclusives for PS2, meaning that Sony has the exclusive for 6 months or so. After that we might see an Xbox release. Who knows?

In the end, if you really want to play that game, get the PS2. Look at how many people sat around waiting for GTA3 for the Xbox only to get nuttin.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
If you love Sega like I do, then you have no other option but buying all three of the next gen consoles and also getting a GBA.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
All the game consoles (including the GBA) have gone down in price, which means another price drop isn't going to be so near. I say get whichever one you want the most right now, then get another one in the middle of the summer, and the third in the fall. Somewhere between now and Christmas, treat yourself to a GBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks