What's new

Yes, kids, there will be a Toy Story 4 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It was the perfect ending to the story, wasn't it?

Pixar should have left it be.

I guess there was mo' money to be had by continuing with the franchise.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't think I would take this as gospel. The same rumors came out right after TS2, and it took 10 years to get a sequel. Pixar has the next 3 years plotted out. So, even if this does happen, it's WAY away, and might be a totally different concept.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I for one would love to see a 4th as the 3rd film was horrible. One of the worst Pixar films to date. It was nothing near to what the first two were. I would love to see Pixar get back on track and do another likened unto the first and second.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Like others, I think it might be better to leave it alone after three truly great movies. As far as I'm concerned, they can keep doing Toy Story shorts (like the one on Cars 2) forever though. With the shorts, the audience gets too revisit the characters and have fun with them but since it's a short, Pixar doesn't have to worry about hitting a fourth homerun in a row like they would if it was another feature.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There is no more story to tell, except, as Travis pointed out, in the form of the short films. I haven't seen Cars 2 and thus haven't seen the short that accompanies it, but if they want to continue the characters this way, there's plenty they can do with them.

What Tom Hanks said, and how he said it, doesn't make it sound too definite to me:

"I think there will be, yeah. Yeah, yeah, think they're working on it now. There you go."

Keep in mind what it took to get parts 2 and 3. I still recall how 2 was almost a direct-to-video sequel, and 3 almost got made by someone else! And also keep in mind how many people were skeptical of those…until they saw them.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Loved the third one and I agree it ended the series perfectly. Don't see the need for another one.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
If they do this, my respect for Pixar is going to go down several more notches. Cars 2 was bad enough, but to crap on the legacy of a franchise that people actually liked is going to rub a lot of fans the wrong way. :f

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm kind of perplexed to see such a negative reaction to a potential sequel to a film that already has two of them, not to mention that Toy Story is probably the best-rated series of all time--the lowest score any of them has on Rotten Tomatoes is 99%.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
cafink said:
I'm kind of perplexed to see such a negative reaction to a potential sequel to a film that already has two of them, not to mention that Toy Story is probably the best-rated series of all time--the lowest score any of them has on Rotten Tomatoes is 99%.
Can you think of a better ending to the series than the third film? I was worried for years at the prospect of a third Toy Story because I didn't want to see the series sullied, and they managed to dodge a bullet with the third...so why risk that again? It's greed, nothing more.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Ron-P said:
I for one would love to see a 4th as the 3rd film was horrible. One of the worst Pixar films to date. It was nothing near to what the first two were. I would love to see Pixar get back on track and do another likened unto the first and second.
Harsh words, but there is some truth to them. While I wouldn't call TS3 one of the worst Pixar films to date (that would be Up!), I thought I was the only one one who didn't find TS3 as great as many rave reviews said. Good, but ultimately a bit too sappy compared to the first two, which were great. And, what more story is there left? A good, but not perfect, ending. And what's up with all these sequels? Pixar became great because of all of their new ideas, not because of their sequels, were all the original thinkers lost somehow? There must be lots of cool, funny, interesting stories left that are not sequels, c'mon guys, I know you can :)!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Brisby said:
Can you think of a better ending to the series than the third film? I was worried for years at the prospect of a third Toy Story because I didn't want to see the series sullied, and they managed to dodge a bullet with the third...so why risk that again? It's greed, nothing more.
Every Pixar movie except for Cars is rated above 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, and the first two Toy Story movies, in particular, both have perfect 100% ratings. With Toy Story 3, Pixar simply lived up to their usual high standard--how is that "dodging a bullet?" Toy Story is probably the best movie series in history (has any other franchise scored 99% or better with every movie). I don't see any "risk" here.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
TravisR said:
I love Pixar's movies but they have to deal with business realities just like anyone who is backed by a studio.
Pixar was dealing fine with business realities before they were bought out by a bigger studio. (So much so, that it was plain to everyone that the bigger studio bought them not to rescue them - but to partake of their success.)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Yes, they are harsh words. I have never been let down by a film more so than TS3. I was so excited to see it coming, so excited by the trailers and than so pissed I wasted good money and time watching it. To me, it is Pixar's worst film to date. Of course, Wall-E is a close runner up.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't think a TS4 is necessarily a bad thing. Yes, the first three comprise a great trilogy, but a fourth film might or might not add to it. There's no way to know until the film is released. I also think Cars 2 will be seen more positively as time goes by, despite being a very commercial effort.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The trendy thing these days is not to think of it as simply the fourth movie in the series, but the start of a second "trilogy". So they're probably planning for movies five and six, as well. Isn't that all Hollywood does these days, plan trilogies? Every film that comes out is the start of a trilogy, every third film "wraps up" the trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks