What's new

"Yellow Submarine" (1968) May 29th from Capitol (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm also suspicious that the Mod Odyssey short has the animated segments re-inserted from a modern source as well. That's fine. I'm more troubled about the reconstructed trailer. Oh well. In the end, it's the film that matters and it looks and sounds lovely.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I noticed that the reconstructed trailer and Mod Odyssey both had to remove all reference to United Artists from the logo and credits, and replace them with the Apple apple.
As the movie is back in Capitol/Beatles hands again, and not owned by MGM/UA, I suspect that was the price to be paid for getting it back in print. A small one, I think. :D

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Nice that they remastered Mod Odyssey ,would it have killed them to include the film of the Beatles recording Hey Bulldog??

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I have seen details in the animation that I never saw before. When I paused the screen during the opening in Pepperland when Old Fred tells the Lord Mayor "The Blue Meanies are coming" the background looked like it was done with Crayons. I loved it. Like the Disney Releases, you could take a frame of this blu ray and place it on your wall. Except this runs circles around Disney releases s far as I'm concerned.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Craig S said:

What Bruce said. It's gorgeous. And the sound is awesome as well. Makes one wish for the Beatles' entire catalog to be released in high-resolution Blu-ray audio. 

Even the packaging is nice - a very thick, high-quality glossy cardboard slipcase, with some insert items like - gasp!- a booklet, a sheet of stickers, and animation cels of the Fab Four.

Kudos to Apple Corps & Capitol for this release!
And hopefully will be getting A Hard Days Night, Help!, like Yellow Sub done via Triage labs, and Magical Mystery Tour, and.....uggghh the much long and unnecessarily overdue Let It Be. It seems like Apple has contracted with Triage, and they did good work on the Leone films that MGM/UA messed up for blu ray, and they are doing great work with The Beatles films. I want the rest now.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Beautiful work on this. Watched it last night and was pleased to see that even the trailer is in HD. Like others, I regret the loss of the music only track, but it's hard to argue with a bou-ray presentation like this.

Saw the note in the end credits about all restoration work being done by hand. Wow.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Ejanss said:
As the movie is back in Capitol/Beatles hands again, and not owned by MGM/UA, I suspect that was the price to be paid for getting it back in print. A small one, I think. :D
Technically, it was always in their hands. I did a bit of research a couple months ago and turned up that Subafilms (the Beatles' film company) had sued MGM/UA for distributing "Yellow Submarine" on VHS because their license was only for theatrical distribution. Subafilms and The Hearst Corporation were always the owners of the film. The DVD issue with MGM/UA in 1999 must have been a limited-time deal. And if you think about it, the Beatles did have to authorize the use of their masters for the 5.1 soundtrack. If they didn't own the film, I assume the same thing that happened with "A Hard Day's Night" would have happened again (rechanneled audio from non-master sources).

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just saw that Geoffrey Hughes, who supplied the voice of 'Paul' has passed away.
He was very well known to British TV audiences. He was 68
David

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
" Except this runs circles around Disney releases s far as I'm concerned."
What do you mean by this?? Yes it doesn't have trailers and endless crap you have to skip over,and that stupid java junk,
unlike many Disney classic's that won't let you still frame without a stupid timeline popping up .like Snow White
if you meant something else like in terms of Animation ,I think your crazy

Real Name
Jason
David Weicker said:
I just saw that Geoffrey Hughes, who supplied the voice of 'Paul' has passed away.
He was very well known to British TV audiences. He was 68
David
He played Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Peter Neski said:
" Except this runs circles around Disney releases s far as I'm concerned."
What do you mean by this?? Yes it doesn't have trailers and endless crap you have to skip over,and that stupid java junk,
unlike many Disney classic's that won't let you still frame without a stupid timeline popping up .like Snow White
if you meant something else like in terms of Animation ,I think your crazy
I meant as far as a restoration. Now Disney puts out great product of the classic animation films, and I love what they have done. But I have never seen colors and detail quite as vibrant and clear in the Disney releases, and I know they make them new product and they don't look like they did on release, but even with that, and all the detail that shows up, the release of Yellow Sub is just incredible with the amount of detail that you can now see in the frames.
And yes, you also don't have to skip over all of those trailers etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks