What's new

Yamaha V1500 vs. Onkyo TX-NR801 (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

I don't think it means you'll get more power, but the power supply will have more reserve capacity so that when peak demands are made, the reserves will be there. I have a six channel receiver that I use in 5.1 and my sales rep (in whom I have confidence) explained it to me this way. I'm no engineer, but it sounded reasonable. Remember that power output measurements that are below rated specs are usually simultaneously driven channels and it is a rare moment when all your channels are outputting power simultaneously in the real world. Of course, all other things being equal, more power on hand is better. But ergonomics, reliability, features and even looks play a role as well.

Good luck with the receiver hunt.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Take a look at the measured results. With less channels driven there is more available power to each channel because the power supply can send more current to each channel. I am an engineer and that's how it works.

Marc H

Second Unit
I'd go with the Yamaha. I have used the YPAO and it's impressive. In three minutes you have an immersive surround sound field and no worries about whether you got delays or levels correct. The parametric EQ bring the timbre matching of the speakers that much closer. I love their 'adventure' mode too.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I own both an Onkyo HT-500(100wpc) and ah H/K 520(75wpc-though H/K is known for under stating their power) And the Onkyo has no trouble keeping up. I don't think you would be dis-appointed with the volume of any receiver mentioned here.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Auto MCACC on the 1014TX works just as well with all the same features (SPL, Distance, Room-EQ) at a much lower price with a lot more real power. Less DSP modes but I've always been of the opinion that the material should be presented as is w/ as little receiver processing on the actual material as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks