What's new

Yamaha V1500 vs. Onkyo TX-NR801 (1 Viewer)

Scott Andrew

Stunt Coordinator
Ok so I can get a brand new Yamaha V1500 with a 1 yr warranty for the same price as a refurbished (by Onkyo) TX-NR801 also with a 1 yr warranty... What do you guys think?

I was also just thinking that I am not going to use anything more then 5.1, is there any recievers that are similar in features as either of the above but are 5.1 so I am not spending un-needed cash?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I'd go for the Yamaha. Sure, the Onkyo is nice, but the Yamaha, with YPAO, has more features for the money. Now, if that had been a new Onkyo TX-NR802 (which hasn't been released yet) I'd take a serious look at the Onkyo, which will have more features making it comparable to the Yamaha.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd give the Pioneer Elite 52TX or standard Pioneer 1014TX a look. Their the same receiver sold under the two different Pioneer lines. They have all of the features of the Yamaha 1500 (Auto setup and room eq, component video upconversion, PLIIx) and tested by HT Magazine to actually put out 115 watts per channel (the Yamaha 1400 was tested around 40 actual watts per channel). The 1014TX is available for as little as $400 online, $475 at Best Buy, and the 52TX goes from $700 - $800 at authorized Elite dealers. The 1014TX is an amazing value with an extremely powerful amp section and all the most current features.

Scott Andrew

Stunt Coordinator
So the yamaha is actually only 40 watts per channel and the pioneer is almost triple that!!!

What about the Onkyo then? According to this then the Pioneer blows the Yamaha away!?!?

I am using two 300 watt cerwin vega CLSC 12's for front's so I need something to power them as well as have surround abilities

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
These are actual tested outputs from S&V and HT Magazine. The powere increase of the Pioneer over the Yamaha is significant but doesn't make the Yamaha a horrible receiver either. It has alot of great features and processing, but so does the Pioneer which also boasts a very powerful amplification section and is an amazing value.

Paul S

Stunt Coordinator
The word "refurbished" scares me. Somebody returned it because it obviously had problems. Personally, I would not purchase a refurbished item, your choice, however.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think the new/refurb/open box/ebay/used debate is right up there with the DD vs. DTS and optical vs. coaxial. Lots of great opinions and no clear conclusion. My thoughts are refurbs are O.K. from an authorized retailer with a solid warranty (my year old Onkyo HT-500/$119. avr has been trouble free). Open boxes are O.K. as well but check the date of manufacture on the back. I wouldn't want one that has been sittin' there for 2-3 years (my 2 year old H/K 520/$299. has also been trouble free but my H/K DVD-5/$99. has been a nightmare). Ebay/used represents the biggest gamble to me, but millions of others apparently think otherwise. This is for avr's btw. Anything with moving parts (dvd-cd players, etc.) I will only by new (from now on). As for your situation, I agree with Stephen. Get the Pioneer 1014. Under $300 I'd go for the Onkyo 502. Over $1000, an H/K 7300:) . In the middle, the 1014. I do reserve the right to change my opinion for no apparent reason! But for now, I'm stickin' to it.

Scott Andrew

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice guys, I never thought of a Pioneer based on the fact that I viewed them as low end recievers with lots of pretty lights! But maybe that isn't the case. It's just hard to believe that a Pioneer is comparable to an Onkyo? But you guys definitely know more then I do so I guess I will look in to the Pioneer now as well...

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator
It depends on which models you are comparing. Yamaha, Onkyo and Pioneer each have good models. The Pioneer Elite series is well reviewed and has a lot of high end fans. The Pioneer 1014 is internally identical to one of the Elite units (52tx I believe). I can't say that I've heard the the lower end Pioneer models 914, 814...
Curently, the flavor of the last few months, and the lowest price seems to be the Pioneer 1014. But once you go up in price you'll have a tougher time deciding. There are some very good receivers around the $800-$1200 which also include names like Denon, Marantz and NAD.

Good luck and have fun.
J

David Hook

Auditioning
Stephen Hopkins wrote:

@Stephen Hopkins:

Would you please, post a link to the article (with the lab results) for the Yamaha 1400?

For some reason, I'm unable to view hometheatermag.com.
Do they require me to download a software pack?

I went to the S&V site, but saw no articles pertaining to the 1400.

TIA

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I can't find it online either but there was a print article with lab results for either the 2400 or 1400 and they were suprisingly low, in the 30-40 watt per channel range w/ all channels driven. The review was printed less than a year ago. I'll look through my back issues and see if i can find it.

David Hook

Auditioning
Thanks again for your efforts. :emoji_thumbsup:

Still unable to view any content from hometheatermag.com.

It finds the server and opens, but there is nothing on the page.

Do they have a specific browser requirement?

Nevermind, I've just installed FireFox and can now view the site.

David Hook

Auditioning
Thanks Wayne.

It's interesting that in spite of the seemingly meager amplifier power, the reviewer thought very highly of the Yamaha's performance.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
David,

Keep in mind, there's a lot more to a receiver than just the power ratings. I think Yamaha makes some pretty impressive gear. And, when providing the power outputs when driving 5 channels or 7 channels all at once is not what we see when watching movies in the real world. All channels will never be taxed all at one time.

I've had a Yamaha HTR-5760 before and have the Pioneer 54TX now. According to test measurements, the Pioneer puts out over double the power of the Yamahas when driving all channels. However, in my 15 x 21 room, the Yamaha never struggled to provide me sufficient volume, whether listening to music or watching movies, and there was still plenty of room left on the volume dial.

:)

Scott Andrew

Stunt Coordinator
So then where does the Onkyo with it's rating of 100 watts per channel come in for "actual" watts? Is it more like the 40 of the Yamaha or the 115 of the Pioneer??

AND if I am only using the reciver in 5.1 mode does that mean that the 5.1 channels will get more power because I am not using the extra two speakers?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm unsure of the actual power of the Onkyo. I remember a few years back some of their lower end units had pretty low actual power output but i've never seen any tests on the higher end stuff. If you're only using 5 speakers then there would be more available power to each speaker. Take a look at the info on the Yamaha and you'll see that w/ 7ch driven it was putting out 32.3 watts to each channel and with only 5ch driven it was putting out 43.5 watts to each channel (8ohm load, .1% distortion).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks